IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback Upgrade Service

Byte Knight

3 hours ago, ghsqb said:

BK are you still offering this service? Any changes to the original post (is it still a Pie B, etc)?

I'm still doing the upgrades - requests continue to trickle in as these Flashbacks approach the end of their lifespans...  The only difference from the original post is that I use Pi 3's now and also use a custom controller board.

5 minutes ago, Byte Knight said:

I'm still doing the upgrades - requests continue to trickle in as these Flashbacks approach the end of their lifespans...  The only difference from the original post is that I use Pi 3's now and also use a custom controller board.

Are there any performance enhancements  or are you using 3’s because they are readily available?

34 minutes ago, Inzi said:

Do you still sell complete builds? I could get a flashback off eBay or something and send... but would be interested in getting one directly as you’d know know if everything works.

If you get one from eBay, the only thing that needs to work are the two controllers. But hard to test the controllers if the console itself is not working. 

The case is gutted, so no need to confirm if the console itself is working or not. Even the power supply is replaced. 

The controllers are fairly robust, so if they look to be in decent shape then odds are that they are ok

Edited by fdr4prez

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi I posted in you thread about the boards but not sure if you'll see it there and I was unable to send you a message. 

Anyway I would like to purchase a pre-modded Intellivision Flashback if possible.

Interested in the kit including the board otherwise. Thanks

Brad

40 minutes ago, Knievel said:

Hi I posted in you thread about the boards but not sure if you'll see it there and I was unable to send you a message. 

Anyway I would like to purchase a pre-modded Intellivision Flashback if possible.

Interested in the kit including the board otherwise. Thanks

Brad

PM sent.

Was hoping someone could answer my previous question and I have one more.

1. If I purchase this, and want to use it on my Commodore monitor through composite, wont the edges be cut off as the nice interface is built for widescreen?

2. Can I easily remove and add roms?

Thanks!

47 minutes ago, donjn said:

1. If I purchase this, and want to use it on my Commodore monitor through composite, wont the edges be cut off as the nice interface is built for widescreen?

Thanks!

Your question about composite was answered:

And confirmed:

About the possibility of the edges getting cut off, there is a RetroPie Forum that you can ask in there, but you can open the proper configuration file on the Pi itself and you can set the desired resolution for the system, and there are overscan settings that you can adjust for the Pi to get the output correct for your monitor/tv.

For adding ROMs, you can do it using a USB stick or over wifi (or wired network connection) using Samba shares or WinSCP to remote into the Pi and you can add the roms into the needed folder.  Some of this is detailed in the manual provided by ByteKnight. 

for deleting roms you would need to do this over a network connection using Samba shares or WinSCP to remote into the Pi and you can delete the desired roms.

48 minutes ago, donjn said:

Yeah, If I am gonna spend $150 I want this to be setup for me beforehand and tested. Meaning output to composite working and not stretched. 

You can set the aspect ratio to 4:3 in the config. The menu will still look a little wonky on the Commodore monitor but I got it to a usable state a while back when I was using it through that monitor you will just need to tweak it a bit until you're happy with it. The games always fit perfectly on the screen though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donjn said:

Yeah, If I am gonna spend $150 I want this to be setup for me beforehand and tested. Meaning output to composite working and not stretched. 

You can contact Byte Knight and see if he is willing to do that for you, but you'd have to send him your monitor. 

I carry my Pi with me often when I travel and I've connected it to many HDMI tvs, and some tvs have a black border (on top and bottom only), and some tvs have all 4 edges slightly cut off, and some TVs are displayed just fine.

Why this happens?  I don't know.  So even for HDMI tvs, there isn't a consistency for how things are displayed.  Some tvs in the hotels are 720p and some are 1080p, etc, and tons of other reasons.

This is the function of the overscan setting in the Pi's configuration file, so after you set the resolution for the Pi you can then further finetune the edges as needed for your particular display.  I do not do this for my Pi because there is no telling what TV model I will be connecting it to, so I live with a little RetroPie inconsistency.

Once you have the RetroPie setup and looking good on your monitor, then you can adjust the setting for the Intellivision emulator, too, as shown in the manual provided by ByteKnight:

image.thumb.png.d21776715c19cc8388598ea376e75ec0.png

The emulator can be set to just about whatever resolution you want, so you can really dial it in for your particular monitor.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help. 

At this point I don't think its worth the $150 though. The point of it is to play them via HDMI.

The JZINTV emulator is working great for me, along with my Vision-Daptor and real Intellivision controllers. I also have all of the overlays.

And with the Intellivison clunky controllers if there is input lag, I sure as heck don't notice it in the JZINTV. This is why I was thinking of doing this, the reaction times on a CRT are unbeatable.

But even with a RetroPie on a CRT vs the JZINTV on my computer I doubt I would notice that much of a difference.

Plus technically I would be spending $150 for basically a handful of games that are already on the Intellivision Flashback. I mainly use the emulator for games that aren't on there like Tron games, etc.

7 hours ago, donjn said:

Thanks!

A crt does cut off a small amount on all sides including top and bottom due to overscan but yeah if a widescreen image is cut down to fit, you could have a significant amount of the sides lost.  Or the wide picture could be squeezed into the narrow aspect ratio without cutting off the sides.  Either way, Retropie has a couple of themes for CRT and 4:3 aspect ratios that should address it.

For a hundred and fifty dollars you're also getting a raspberry pi and a usb adapter for two intellivision controllers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, donjn said:

2. Can I easily remove and add roms

The games themselves will look fine in 4:3, but the game selection screen will not look very good as it is designed for widescreen.

Adding roms is easy via a USB thumb drive or wifi.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
4 hours ago, rj_esq said:

I have an Intellivision Flashback in which the power light goes on, but no longer displays on the TV. Can this set be upgraded? If so, I would like to get the upgrade service. Is Byte Knight still doing these? 

Yes, it can be upgraded.

The upgrading process will remove the internal guts of your old Flashback unit.

@Byte Knight will need to response about his availability to do more upgrades

• 2 weeks later...