IGNORED

UDS-10 Arrived. Connection issues.

wyerd

I'm not getting all this USB talk here. I need a greater picture of your configuration as to what is actually going on here.

The RS-232 cable goes from the TI to the Lantronix UDS-10 there should be no USB cables or converters needed or used.

The other cable has an RJ-45 (Ethernet cable) that goes to the router.

The PC should either use a WiFi connection or a wired Ethernet connection to the router as well.

My next suggestion is to press the RESET button on the Lantronix and start over.

Second if that does not work, check your solder connections on your cable to make sure you have no solder bridges.

The fact that you were able to configure your UDS-10 from the PC is promising, this means the problem is on the TI side.

We got off topic, talking about how to test on the PC to weed out if the CorComp RS232 card was the issue. I just suggested to hook it up to the PC, but since most PC's today do not have a comm port I suggested a USB to RS232 for the PC to test the UDS to make sure it was good.

Chris

Also just because you can configure it on the PC side does not mean it could all be TI issue. I had a UDS10 that I could configure on the PC telnet side, but I could not get it to work on the serial side at all. Come to find out it had issues internally.

Cables are usually the biggest issue though. Especially when soldering. I have gotten to where I don't solder cables unless I just have to any longer. I am using the DB25 to RJ45 modular adapters, so all I have to do is press the pins in and use a standard ethernet cable and bam.. done..

This is what I have mine set to:

*** Channel 1
Baudrate 9600, I/F Mode 4C, Flow 02
Port 00023
Connect Mode : D6
Auto increment source port disabled
Remote IP Adr: --- none ---, Port 00000
Disconn Mode : 80 Disconn Time: 15:00
Flush Mode : 00
Remember though, I have only been able to successfully get stabile connections on the TI with Terminal programs like Telco at 4800. Not sure about Stuarts internet browser.

I seem to remember that there are a few subtle differences between the CorComp RS-232 and the TI or Myarc cards. That may be causing the issues here as well--but I don't remember what the issues were right now, just that they existed.

At the hardware level, each of the three cards must be controlled a bit differently as some of the inputs and outputs are accessed at different memory or CRU addresses.

Most of the terminal programs account for this either automatically or with an RS232 selection option as necessary. When it comes to implementing hardware handshaking, the TI and CorComp have sufficient IO ports with which to control the handshake lines whereas the Myarc cards generally do not. Dan Eicher and Jeff White wrote a Micropendium article concerning this problem and a method to upgrade the cards. For most use the stock cards are all equally acceptable though I prefer the TI version.

From my initial observations I suspected a baud rate mismatch. There is also the possibility that the RS232 or UDS device is damaged.

that could cause an issue. let us all know..

Hi,

we have experienced many annoying support-issues in my company in the last years, problems with connecting to custom machines via RS-232.

After we desperately changed our servicenotebooks to some with integrated RS-232 the problems vanished immediatly.

By random, and never thought about, I found out about later:

The cheapy dump-clones from China for the Profilic PL-2303 we used caused the problems.

I recognized that while configuring HDX for many nights :(

You can see here, but there is many more on the web, and also exists a public note from Profilic Inc.

BTW, 20$ >should< be OK, but does not prevent you from getting a clone though (as happened to me )
good luck, I will follow with UDS-10/Browser in some weeks :)
Ralf

post-41141-0-38526400-1424166677_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The only reason I asked earlier if you had a TI card was that I had issues trying to use a Corcomp card with my UDS and S&T BBS software. I'm not saying a CC card won't work, but the cable pinouts required for a TI card may be slightly different than that for a CC card. I didn't feel like messing with it so I just plugged my TI card back in the PBox and forgot about it. If I recall the issue I was having was that I could not type when I connected to my BBS. It would connect fine, but I was not able to type anything.

Yes it did, but none of my highly modern PCs with USB3, Sata3 have errrrrr serial ports, not even headers. I might have an old motherboard somewhere though with the header port and a cable in my box of "might be useful someday" old junk.

The PC DOES have a DB9 serial port after all!. It was dark when I checked the back of the PC last night, at least that's my excuse.. The cable that came with the UDS-10 is a DB25 male to DB9 male and the serial port on the PC is DB9 male :mad: I found a DB9 female to DB9 female in my box of useful stuff and connected it all up, but when I ran a Windows RS232 terminal program called Termite, I just got a load of random characters, so I expect the cables are wrong.

I have the cable wired up as follows

TI
1-Black
2-Red
3-Brown
5-White
7-Blue
20-Green

UDS-10
1-Black
2-Brown
3-Red
4-White
5-Green
7-Blue

TI-UDS
 2-3
 3-2
 5-4
 7-7
 2-5

So it looks right.

Ok was that last one a typo (2-5) or not? It's supposed to be 20-5. I'm assuming it's a typo since you already have a 2-3.

Edit: heh nvm I just looked above and saw the color-coded Green so it was a typo.

Edited by Mad Hatter

Just keep in the front of your mind (as said) that the TI-supplied cable for connecting to the TI RS232 card does NOT follow the RS232C standard for a DB25 connector in that pins 2 and 3 are reversed—TI pin 2 is RXD and pin 3 is TXD, the same as standard DE9 connectors, which could have been why TI did it, I suppose. You certainly should NEVER connect a DB25-to-DE9 adaptor to the DB25 end of the TI connector.

...lee

Just keep in the front of your mind (as said) that the TI-supplied cable for connecting to the TI RS232 card does NOT follow the RS232C standard for a DB25 connector in that pins 2 and 3 are reversedTI pin 2 is RXD and pin 3 is TXD, the same as standard DE9 connectors, which could have been why TI did it, I suppose. You certainly should NEVER connect a DB25-to-DE9 adaptor to the DB25 end of the TI connector.

...lee

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not using a TI cable, and the one I mentioned a few posts up is just to test the UDS-10 PC connection.

Certainly no "Plug and Play"!

Just performed some testing. Interesting results!

Server config

*** Channel 1
Baudrate 2400, I/F Mode 4C, Flow 00
Port 10001
Connect Mode : D6
Auto increment source port disabled
Remote IP Adr: --- none ---, Port 00000
Disconn Mode : 80 Disconn Time: 15:00
Flush Mode : 00

A quick TI Basic program

img_1385.jpg

Telnet result on the PC

img_1386.jpg

It appears that the card and USD-10 are working.

• Like 3

Okay, let's recap....

A) You have your cable configured like this...

TI UDS-10

--- -----------

2 3

3 2

5 4

7 7

20 5 You've tested all the lines with a multi-tester and it's working perfectly.

1) Your program listed in message #48 only sends data FROM the TI to the PC via the UDS-10.

2) I'm assuming you opened the connection from the PC side? Is that correct?

If so, it appears data CAN go both directions from the PC to the UDS-10 on the Ethernet side of things.

Now data can also go OUT from the TI to the UDS-10 (as your program proves).

So this looks like data coming INTO the TI from the UDS-10 is the problem. Which would make me suspect.

1) A cable issue

2) A problem with the RS-232 Card

Let's try another experiment....

1) Telnet to the TI again, ensure all the settings in Telco are correct and matched to the UDS-10 settings.

2) Once connected send a CONTROL G from the TI to the PC. Did you hear it? Yes/No?

3) Now send a CONTROL G from the PC to the TI. Did you hear it? Yes/No?

Do you have another device that you can hook the UDS-10 to, like a Terminal or a PC to narrow down that it's not the UDS-10 with the output problem? If you can verify that it's not the cable or UDS-10, it can only be the RS-232 card.

Lastly if nothing else works, , just for kicks try Stuart's browser (with the proper settings). Anything at all?