IGNORED

Evidence that Tempest 2k IS 1 of the Best. Games. Eva!

JAGUAR

:evil: :music:

Please watch in darkness, your sound cranked, 480p full screen a must. :) Enjoy the movie. Thanks Jeff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqmKA_NB4MM

This is the best quality Tempest 2000 video ever uploaded to the internet, bar none. Video clarity, audio quality and gameplay. I'm not bragging but I am a great player of this game too; Been playing since 1994. I use a regular Jag pad, no rotary. Just stating facts so don't be mad with me, just watch this movie and enjoy, it's better than most movies.

So ya, amazing trippy visuals, amazing techno music, amazing frantic gameplay. This game NEVER gets old. Never.

• Like 2

There's a permanent green stripe down the left edge, and the entire video looks like it's been run through an over-aggressive sharpening filter.

Ya, green stripe. Ya, very sharp video. But, I doubt you watch Jag videos as hardcore as me and compare them side by side. Even supposed HD 720 etc Jag vids look blurry compared to mine even full screen. Watch this in 480p full screen on a 20 inch monitor and the clarity cant be matched, and Ive tweaked the brightness and color just right, and the sound is also unmatched (louder and more clear than from stock plug). Show me a better quality tempest 2000 video please thanks. my video output is db9 converted to component... nobody else doing that / recording jag vids in actual true component rgb... the audio is coming from headphone jack and high quality gold plated audio plugs. And also its recorded in high quality mp4 format. everythings been fine tuned just right

This is the best quality Tempest 2000 video ever uploaded to the internet, bar none. Video clarity, audio quality and gameplay. I'm not bragging but I am a great player of this game too; Been playing since 1994. I use a regular Jag pad, no rotary. Just stating facts so don't be mad with me, just watch this movie and enjoy, it's better than most movies.

So Is that why you watched the Tempest video I uploaded? To see how poorly it compares? ;)

Playing this game recently makes me want a rotary controller desperately. I may try to do the mod myself sometime soon.

Edited by chicgamer

Where are the game sounds?

Well actually right when I started the game, I thought, you know, now that I have the sound quality coming out of the Jag so amazing, I want to hear the music without the sound effects.. :) but if you watch my whole video, there are times I turn the sound effects back on, and times I turn the music off and just have the sound effects on. :)

So Is that why you watched the Tempest video I uploaded? To see how poorly it compares? ;)

Playing this game recently makes me want a rotary controller desperately. I may try to do the mod myself sometime soon.

Wow what a small world. :) I saw your video I think it was yesterday, and I was impressed. I love the color quality of your video. ;) And I was worried your video was better quality than mine, LOL. But then I compared our videos back and forth, and I have the upper hand in video and audio clarity, even though mine is 480p and yours 720p. But I love the color in yours. That is the one drawback with my setup, it is a touch dark and slight loss of color compared to normal Jag output... BUT, its only slight, and I just love the sharpness and clarity I am getting, not only in visual but also the audio, which the Jag desperately needs louder audio output and ive achieved that, very thankfully. :) the other thing you have the advantage of is I think your setup is cheaper $$ than mine. I think yours is like $200 and mine $300 not totally sure. For those that want to compare mine and her video here you go. By the way chicgamer, that's so cool that a girl not just likes Jaguar Tempest, but you also like superior visuals in your classic games. :) PS - I need a girlfriend, you need a boyfriend? LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPh5rSygZvM - watch hers 720p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqmKA_NB4MM - and mine 480p

PS - I need a girlfriend, you need a boyfriend? LOL

A boyfriend. Nah, that's a headache I don't think I need at the moment. :)

I don't know that it matters that my video is 720p. I believe that the Jaguar only puts out a max of 240p (correct me if I'm wrong), so it's not like I'm getting 720p out of the Jaguar itself. The higher resolution is due to the set up I have. I'm using an RGB SCART cable to attach the Jaguar to a SCART to HDMI converter. The output then is recorded via my AVerMedia Game Capture HD II, which will only accept 1080P or 720p from my converter. I then have to use Premier Elements to fix the aspect ratio before I upload. Strangely, I have a VGA to HDMI converter whose output the Game Capture will accept even if it's under 720p (I recorded video from my Dreamcast via VGA at 800 x 600, and it maintained the correct aspect ratio). I'm not sure why it will accept the lower resolution from one converter and not the other.

• 3 weeks later...

Ya, very sharp video.

No, very "sharpened" video. There's a difference. Aggressive sharpening causes haloing artifacts around high-frequency details. Look, here's the T2K score display, unprocessed (top) and from your video (bottom):

ZpYkpsJ.png

Observe how the filtering on your video exaggerates the brightness around the edges of everything, actually destroying original detail. This is not "best quality". This is BAD quality.

No, very "sharpened" video. There's a difference. Aggressive sharpening causes haloing artifacts around high-frequency details. Look, here's the T2K score display, unprocessed (top) and from your video (bottom):

ZpYkpsJ.png

Observe how the filtering on your video exaggerates the brightness around the edges of everything, actually destroying original detail. This is not "best quality". This is BAD quality.

The top one looks unnaturally pixelated to me. Also your capture of my image, not sure how you did it or even if you changed Youtube quality to 480p from 360p, it makes a large difference in my videos. It's pretty laughable and pathetic of you though to pull something like this. Yes my Jaguar videos do have some sharpness added to them. However, it's not like I'm sharpening composite or even S Video, I am sharpening true RGB from DB-9 pin from the Jag, and then that converted to Component, not composite.. And then I have highest quality gold Monster component cables going into my capture device, recorded in high quality MP-4 format with the options at best quality. 30 fps, not 60 though.

Not sure if that's a screen capture of her method, which is SCART to hdmi. It's really a tossup which video looks better overall. I compared them back and forth myself many times. Obviously you are just another guy who hates me here at Atari Age and you would never compliment anything I ever did ever, infact you have gone out of your way here to criticize me and even call my videos BAD quality haha, really pathetic. They are so obviously not bad quality. Destroying original detail huh? Right, ya, sure. Look how crappy the detail is in my videos everyone, look at all that destroyed detail in my BAD quality Jag vids. Does anyone agree with this guy? lol :) (if you watch my Jag videos you have to change quality to 480p from 360p it makes a large difference in image quality on youtube. ;))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp4hD5jYPi0&list=PLSbCiA_gvHP7BwuSpilM7T1UZZvBoHQ-j

Let's hear some opinions of other people, and not other people who hate me like this guy, but other people who maybe are new here or don't hate me cus we don't need anymore biased opinions.

PS - I also love how guys like him make sure to use perfect grammar to try to convince everyone they must be completely right... Looks like he worked really hard on his little trolling bash post. What obviously makes everything he says irrelevant is when he calls my videos straight up BAD quality LOL. I mean, hate me much? Jeez.

PPS - I am sure other guys who hate me will come to his defense that is always how it works at Atari Age, for me anyway. Once someone starts a fight with me (which is always how it is, I never start anything with anyone because I am a cool and nice guy naturally, but then I turn into a demon when people pick on me hehe :evil: and then the mods see I'm a demon and they put me on moderator review LOL), and then I counter or defend, then I get a bunch of other guys piling on with the original troll. Always happens, same thing everytime. :)

Let's see what happens. :thumbsup:

Edited by JAGUAR

Yeah, the Jag outputs a 240p signal, upscaling obviously isn't going to add any additional information, despite one of our old resident lunatics telling us his Jag outputs 1080p. But that's another story.

I've manage to upconvert my Jaguar to 4k and the difference is mindblowing.

I'm joking. :)

This thread did at least get me interested in the challenge of doing nearish-archival-quality video capture from classic game consoles. Which led to this video--

Now that's how you do it. When viewing the 480p version (have to go to the YouTube site to access it), it's pretty much perfect. No sharpening, minimal blurring, every pixel neatly doubled along the X/Y instead of using a scaling filter. Only thing missing is 60 FPS frame rate, which YouTube only recently made generally available.

I wonder what the best card is for doing capture from a 15kHz RGB source.

What was the source for the capture? It looks so good as to be emulation.

To get 60fps on YouTube, don't you need to have >=720P resolution? I don't think I've noticed ant 480P/60 videos. If that's right there's no option for something that looks true 1:1 for pixels at full frame rate.

BTW, I didn't have to visit YT to see the 480P version, I just clicked the settings cog icon and changed it there from this page.

Well actually right when I started the game, I thought, you know, now that I have the sound quality coming out of the Jag so amazing, I want to hear the music without the sound effects.. :) but if you watch my whole video, there are times I turn the sound effects back on, and times I turn the music off and just have the sound effects on. :)

Wow what a small world. :) I saw your video I think it was yesterday, and I was impressed. I love the color quality of your video. ;) And I was worried your video was better quality than mine, LOL. But then I compared our videos back and forth, and I have the upper hand in video and audio clarity, even though mine is 480p and yours 720p. But I love the color in yours. That is the one drawback with my setup, it is a touch dark and slight loss of color compared to normal Jag output... BUT, its only slight, and I just love the sharpness and clarity I am getting, not only in visual but also the audio, which the Jag desperately needs louder audio output and ive achieved that, very thankfully. :) the other thing you have the advantage of is I think your setup is cheaper $$ than mine. I think yours is like $200 and mine $300 not totally sure. For those that want to compare mine and her video here you go. By the way chicgamer, that's so cool that a girl not just likes Jaguar Tempest, but you also like superior visuals in your classic games. :) PS - I need a girlfriend, you need a boyfriend? LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPh5rSygZvM - watch hers 720p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqmKA_NB4MM - and mine 480p

I actually prefer the first video TBH. Both are watchable though.

Edited by AtariORdead