IGNORED

Modern or Classic, time to pick your poison

Shawn

Modern or Classic, Time to pick your poison.  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Modern or Classic. Choose a side and tell us why.

• Classic (1975 to 1995)
    • Modern (1995 to 2015)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The "why" part seems critical to this.

I'm not a "gamer". I play video games, I enjoy them, I like to collect them to be able to play them. But since I sorta jumped the boat after the 16-bit era, I missed out on a lot of the development in the PS1/N64 era. The big leap into 3D and what I consider "modern" gaming.

I tend to pick up systems/games a few years down the road. They're much cheaper, and if I'm not chasing the latest thing, even something 2-3 years old seems new to me (I just don't know any better!). I've got an Xbox360 with a stack of games (usually from series I know I like -- Arkham series, Halo, Gears of War, Bioshock, Saints Row, etc.), but those are "sit down and invest time" games for when I want to spend an afternoon in a virtual world. Since I didn't make that transition to "gamer" back in the day, I'm much more of a "30 minutes here and there" player. Casual.

Which makes NES, SNES, and (naturally) Atari games appealing to me. I CAN commit lots of time to playing them, but they don't necessarily require it. I can pick up and play as much or as little as I want. As a non-hardcore, that appeals to me.

The nostalgia factor doesn't hurt, either. I'm almost 33, so an Atari was essentially the first computer of any kind I'd really ever used, the NES was a cultural phenomenon for kids when I was one, and the Super NES had some of my favorite games in the early '90s -- most of which were just distillations and refinements of principles from previous generations. (More detailed side scrolling beat-em-ups like Maximum Carnage -- for better or worse -- principally expanded on the gameplay of games like Double Dragon, Contra, et al., in ways I really liked at the time.)

• Like 3

This:

Which makes NES, SNES, and (naturally) Atari games appealing to me. I CAN commit lots of time to playing them, but they don't necessarily require it. I can pick up and play as much or as little as I want. As a non-hardcore, that appeals to me.

And This:

I'm seeing too many games in the modern era that make you wait around instead of just getting into the game itself.

When I want to play a game, I want to play it now.

Both hit the nail right on the head.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

For me this poll is really an awkward cut off. The stuff that came out throughout the 1990s pretty much is my favorite stuff. I enjoyed my N64 as much as I did my Genesis, and while I still played games on the NES, it wasn't when it was 'cool'. I have Atari systems, but it was because it was a video game system and I liked video games and it was interesting to see where things have come from. I also dug my GameCube and for a time harbored somewhat of a loathing of people who wanted to talk nonstop about their Xbox and PS2 when I was in High School. In the last couple years or so I've ultimately found myself utterly disinterested in following or buying what's new in video games.

For me, I would say that 1985 to 2005 would be a good time frame.

Edited by Rockin' Kat

Had to pick modern I am afraid. I love Retro and have a huge collection and love still playing the old games, but its all just a nostalgia blast and I have spent plenty of time with them.

I just would hate to miss out on new stuff coming out and seeing whats next. So if I was forced then thats the way I would go.

• Like 2

What's new becomes retro in good time. You don't miss a thing.

Yes, but even with current retro games, its never quite the same as experiencing things first hand.

As much as I love the NES, MD, Snes etc and playing them now, it pales in comparison to playing them new.

The differnce for eaxample in me playing Call of duty 2 on the 360 now, compared to it being new and really discovering online gaming on a console and satying up late at night playing it with friends.

Its not the same.

• Like 1

AtariORdead makes a very good point:I found the offline mode of Burnout Paradise to be too cold and clinical for my liking, playing it online with a group of friends? world of difference.

Similar with Blur, the utter carnage playing with mates online or just playing offline or online again'st strangers and...exp.is lessened for myself.

Trouble with modern gaming is it's very fickle.Friends of mine seem routed into latest COD or Fifa, scoff at games i play online like Dark Souls 2 and even whilst i'm still hammering the DLC for this online, the servers have gotten quiet of late, which makes it a nightmare trying to do boss fights at times as there's no-one to call to your aid.

I'd love to get Bloodborne, but by time i get a PS4, just how's going to be playing? they'll have moved onto next big thing i guess.

Nature of the beast, but i find myself struggling now to get into 8 Bit games, be it A8/C64/MS etc etc.Interest in 16 Bit declining as played everything i wanted to, to death it seems.

• 1 month later...

It seems many modern games are just cgi movies disguised as games, getting you to push a button here or there simply to advance the narrative. The Order 1886 is a perfect example. It's the reason that, even if I'm playing a modern game, it's retro styled for the most part.

Yep! When I play a game, I want it to be a game!

Classic time:

- buy a game from a store

- play the game. The game can play from cartridge or disk/cassette drive,

Modern time:

- buy a game from a store

- need a hard disk (even on consoles) Be sure you have enough room for your game.

- register your game from the internet
- install the patch
- go to the game forum because the game has too many glitches. The company doesn't care because it has your money.
Future time:
- You can only buy games from the internet. Get your credit card ready.

- need a hard disk (even on consoles) Be sure you have enough room for your game.

- register your game from the internet
- install the last patch
- go to the game forum because the game has too many glitches. The company doesn't care because it has your money.
- If you hard disk dies, you'll have to buy a new one and buy the same game again.
- If your game is no longer available, CRY! Because you spent all your money on it but you can't play it anymore.
Classic wins.
Edited by Serguei2

Modern, and here's why...I played the 2600, CV, NES, SNES, etc., when they were modern. And if you had given me in 1980 a glimpse into the future of a game like Demon's Souls, when I was playing (and loving) Adventure on the 2600, I would have absolutely flipped at how awesome gaming would be down the road -- and Adventure would have then seemed lame in comparison.

I love retro titles, largely for nostalgia, sometimes for rock solid old fashioned gameplay. But I'm a modern gaming guy, bottom line.

• 1 year later...