IGNORED

Atari: Game Over (documentary)

WozzyCat

Atari: Game Over (film documentary)...

...what a great/awesome film!

After trying to watch it for free via the Xbox Video website (after downloading and installing the latest bloatware version of Microsoft Silverlight, which it demanded I have in order to watch the video), the video never played back and seemed to be in buffer mode/black screen infinitely.....I finally gave up and just paid the $17.99 Canadian dollars to Apple's iTunes for the high def version to download and install on my MacBook, and it played back perfectly (thank you Apple iTunes and screw you MIcrosoft Xbox Video website/Microsoft Silverlight extension).

Anyways, the film documentary was superb!

So thank you Xbox Originals...I will now be deleting that Silverlight junk off my MacBook's harddrive.

• Like 3

What ever happened to the scripted movie project, that was supposed to have DiCaprio and was gonna be awesome?

Yeah, and Natalie Portman as Nolan's wife...

The movie is blocked because some people are not happy with the script; a few historical and important people are just "forgotten" or "minor role" in the script; the truth is not there, the story is half wrong, so lawyers were busy and unhappy.

The movie is blocked because some people are not happy with the script; a few historical and important people are just "forgotten" or "minor role" in the script; the truth is not there, the story is half wrong, so lawyers were busy and unhappy.

That didn't seem to stop the movie about Facebook, or any other supposedly true life movie about technology...

Atari: Game Over (film documentary)...

...what a great/awesome film!

After trying to watch it for free via the Xbox Video website (after downloading and installing the latest bloatware version of Microsoft Silverlight, which it demanded I have in order to watch the video), the video never played back and seemed to be in buffer mode/black screen infinitely.....I finally gave up and just paid the $17.99 Canadian dollars to Apple's iTunes for the high def version to download and install on my MacBook, and it played back perfectly (thank you Apple iTunes and screw you MIcrosoft Xbox Video website/Microsoft Silverlight extension).

Anyways, the film documentary was superb!

So thank you Xbox Originals...I will now be deleting that Silverlight junk off my MacBook's harddrive.

I had no trouble watching it on my Xbox 360... ;)

But the World 1-1 documentary that also came out very recently is better in a lot of ways (and not as good in some).

Edited by InfoMan

That sucks, guess it will never happen. When I watch a movie I want to be entertained first with a good script and quality production. Truth is second, that's what documentaries and books are for. Just my opinion anyway.

• Like 1

Nothing against those who paid for this, but I wouldn't. I think selling the crushed games and such for really high prices is enough for them. I don't think anyone with a PC can watch these things with the Xbox video because I've tried many times and have no luck. I thought about writing to Microsoft and complaining as to why this doesn't work.

Phil

Just watched it too, very informative and entertaining. I had to laugh at that part at 34:14, where Howard Scott Warshaw is explaining that Steven Spielberg tested and ok'd his ET game before its release, and then adds "Not that I'm blaming him for anything...", whereupon the interviewer responds "No, of course not... but it's his fault."

I finally got a chance to watch this. It's great to see that there weren't as many games buried as rumored. It goes to show that there is probably more in warehouses than thought.

The sad part is that O'Shea destroyed his last bunch of thousands of carts just for the gold content. Sometime, somewhere, hopefully more games will be brought into the market.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Just watched it on Netflix. I thought it was very entertaining. Was surprised to get a little choked up when they pulled out the first cart out of ground.

A very narrow slice of history, but I think that's interesting. Trying to cover the entire history of the 2600 in 90 minutes would never be able to give much detail, so I liked the narrow focus.

What would be a really great movie would be one based just on Tod Frye. Never knew him but the stories went on and on. All great. Hunter S. Thompson of the the video game world.

• Like 1

I thought it was very overrated. A Guy works for Atari for three years, makes three games, all of which are based on a previous property. Anyone doing the slightest bit of research knew the story was true. Watching this video and not knowing anything about Atari, you would think they went out of business in 1983. They were still making games and consoles up to 1996, the 2600 until late 1991. They weren't as popular, but they were there.

True, the Jaguar wasn't that popular versus the playstation, but you see games and systems fetching rather high prices now. I had bought one on discount with a few games, but never pursued it. Now unless they land in my lap for relatively nothing, I won't be paying $25+ per game. I liked the Lynx much better than Game Boy.

Phil