IGNORED

If you could have only 1 Atari Aracde Machine in your home...

Clint Thompson

I've already got Asteroids (Needs some work at this point), and a cocktail Asteroids Deluxe (Never worked), and Food Fight (It just needs a joystick part)...

So I think I'd go with an Asteroids Deluxe stand up...

I've had friends who had Tempest, Major Havoc, Space Duel, I, Robot and Star Wars, oh and Blasteroids...

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Years ago I would have said Tempest, but thinking more on it currently, I think I'd have to go with something that can't be replicated quite as well at home. An example being one of the Asteroids models that mirrors the playing screen on top of an existing/real backdrop. I love Tempest, but it's easier to recreate that visual feel through emulation.

• Like 1

An example being one of the Asteroids models that mirrors the playing screen on top of an existing/real backdrop.

The only one I've ever seen is Asteroids Deluxe. I've never seen an Asteroids or Space Duel (if you want to include it since it's a part of the series) like that - most likely because they don't exist.

Since I own no arcade games, my one quintessential Atari game to start with, would probably have to be Asteroids; because as others have said, the art-work, the crispness of the Vector display and the pick-up and playabilty of the game by everyone, especially myself, is just a completely awesome package deal. As I get older, I have come to the conclusion that even though I love the old games, would love the notion of having one, compared to when I was younger, my eye-hand coordination, what little I have left, sucks. I can play Asteroids for a few or if I'm determined, attempt to crack 100K (or better?) ;)

Since I own no arcade games, my one quintessential Atari game to start with, would probably have to be Asteroids; because as others have said, the art-work, the crispness of the Vector display and the pick-up and playabilty of the game by everyone, especially myself, is just a completely awesome package deal. As I get older, I have come to the conclusion that even though I love the old games, would love the notion of having one, compared to when I was younger, my eye-hand coordination, what little I have left, sucks. I can play Asteroids for a few or if I'm determined, attempt to crack 100K (or better?) ;)

Isn't 100K an excellent score? That's the beauty of having the game at home, it doesn't matter how bad you are. Asteroids is a great choice but I'd probably have Missile Command [authentic track ball controls].

edit: Lunar Lander with the giant thrust lever is a good choice. And Fire Truck is a blast with the rear steering wheel.

Edited by mr_me

You know one I'd consider these days...Is that Atari video pinball game from a long time ago (1978)...

I used to always wish I could play that and went almost my whole life without ever seeing it... And then last year I saw it in a Denver arcade (Hyperspace) and then all of a sudden I saw it here in town (Cheyenne, WY) at a place called Flippers! So... Twice in one year!

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

It's kind of tough, but probably Gauntlet II. I'm good for hours on that, and it can handle up to 4 players. Outside of that I love Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom but it is kind of an acquired taste because of how it is set up and then of course you have that awesome Star Wars vector game too, so maybe that as it keeps going like Gauntlet but is less tiring once you get into the groove on it. I'm more an indyfan, but I'd take Star Wars over Indy.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

1.) Lunar Lander: with the two button rotate

and large throttle control. First time played at

the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center. It was

close to 35 yrs ago. The place was busy and I had to

wait in a line for a chance at "one turn" free play with

the other kids. I nailed a perfect first landing and enjoyed

the cheer from the kids waiting behind me. It's my favorite game period.

2.). The Last Starfighter: favorite movie. Cool game intro.

3.). Vindicators: Favorite two player game. I played

this game with my twin until my hands just about went

lymph from fatigue.

• Like 1

Star Wars sit-down. I used to have one and me and my mates had such good times with that thing. Nowadays i only ever get to see Star Wars at retro events. My skillz haven't deserted me either (can't believe people actually don't use the Force in trench runs) although I'm not quite as good as I used to be back then.

It may seem sacrilegious not to say Tempest but one way or another I've had an awful lot of Tempest in my life and I do miss my old Star Wars cab, even if it did have cat piss up the back of it due to my cat of the time.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Lunar Lander.

Loved it when I was a kid. Still Do. The ability to select mission parameters on the console with the backlit little "screens" were so Star Trek TOS to a kid in the 70's.

The controls are ideal as well. There really hasn't been anything like it since.

Looks like someone made their own...

Atari01.jpg641a4db5-3d3b-4bdc-8fbd-425ab

• Like 1