IGNORED

New Easter Egg uncovered in Spiker

intvnut

I kept the source code for many years for all of these (and more) games, but sadly with a hard drive crash and a neglected back-up I lost them, so I can’t retrieve the code

Dear developers/IP owners: this is why, once you've made your money off of something, you should share it with whatever enthusiast community exists. Trust me, plenty of people will store backups for you :)

So frustrating to see our history slip through our fingers this way. It would be amazing to recover original source for a lot of these games.

• Like 4

I've heard of those! My grandfather had one. The full name is Tape Recorder ;-)

Yes those tape recorders were quite something.. you know all that music recorded from that am radio frequency ...

i dont understand what this new fandangled tecknollergee you young wippersnappers are talking about! :)

lol , no worries-that high tech confuses most people your age ;) !!!!

Edited by m-crew

There's definitely a shift in audience pre vs post Crash. The largest part of the NES fanbase, near as I can tell, was around 3 years old when it was released - which would make them not even teenagers by the time it was pretty much gone. And some a fair bit younger - there are quite a lot of kids doing reviews and such who must have been all of 5 when it was past its prime.

All the pre-Crash stuff seems to have really only stuck with people who were teenagers, or close to it, by the time a particular console was being phased out. I guess pre-Crash, consoles were more of an "older kid" thing, but by the time the NES was out, much younger kids were playing (and getting attached to) them.

Then again, what do I know. I grew up with an Odyssey in the house :P

• Like 1

I grew up with pong and Atari Stunt Cycle (not the console) for many years, then we got an Apple IIc. My grandfather had the Intellivision so I only got to play it during occasional visits. I was 10 when the crash came in 1983 but was completely oblivious to it.

the arcade stunt cycle? I actually grew up with asteroids deluxe, cosmic avenger and 3 player sprint. Edited by pimpmaul69

Intellivision was my childhood love, but in a 'little brother gets his ass handed to him' sort of way. By the time I was a little older and much better at gaming all my friends had NES (which was AWESOME), and made my crappy old glitchy Intellivision seemed lame. I held on to most of my loose carts (around 30 or so) up until sometime around 1990, but since my console had long been broken I gave my remaining games to a friend. I love NES and own around 150 games for it.

Intellivision was my childhood love, but in a 'little brother gets his ass handed to him' sort of way. By the time I was a little older and much better at gaming all my friends had NES (which was AWESOME), and made my crappy old glitchy Intellivision seemed lame. I held on to most of my loose carts (around 30 or so) up until sometime around 1990, but since my console had long been broken I gave my remaining games to a friend. I love NES and own around 150 games for it.

Yes NES sure had and has a huge following.. Funny thing my brother n law is 27 and he just got back to his NES64 and that was the craze when he was younger.. Its a generational thing that brings you back to your first passions..

the arcade stunt cycle? I actually grew up with asteroids deluxe, cosmic avenger and 3 player sprint.

Actually, it was the home version of the game:

post-37124-0-19732300-1424452917_thumb.jpg

As for arcade games, my uncle also owned an arcade for a couple years. My brother and I each got paid $2 in quarters for helping him clean the games prior to opening on Sunday. Of course, he promptly got the money back because we'd plunk the quarters right back into the machines.

All the pre-Crash stuff seems to have really only stuck with people who were teenagers, or close to it, by the time a particular console was being phased out. I guess pre-Crash, consoles were more of an "older kid" thing, but by the time the NES was out, much younger kids were playing (and getting attached to) them.

Eh... We got our Intellivision when I was around 6 or 7, and we played it well into the post-crash era. We eventually got an NES and a Sega Genesis. We got them so close together that we never really built a big library of NES games. Played the heck out of the Genesis.

Didn't pick up another system until we got a PS2 for the missus to play Final Fantasy on. Well, that, and we needed a DVD player. It's still our DVD player. Other than that, we have a Wii and a Wii-U.

As for age, I'm in my first Jack Benny year this year. (39)

Edited by intvnut

Actually, it was the home version of the game:

atari_stunt-cycle_1_s.jpg

As for arcade games, my uncle also owned an arcade for a couple years. My brother and I each got paid $2 in quarters for helping him clean the games prior to opening on Sunday. Of course, he promptly got the money back because we'd plunk the quarters right back into the machines.

you confused me cause you said "not the console" and isnt that "the console"?

Not the famous Atari console that takes cartridges.

Atari Stunt Cycle only played a handful of built-in games, similar to the pong games of the day. Back then I only heard 'console' used for game systems with interchangable games via cartridges and later CDs/etc. I suppose the term my have changed over time (especially with the Flashbacks).