IGNORED

The Newest Coleco ADAM Computer Owner

HkryCrkStudio

Today I was lucky enough to pick up an ADAM that looks to be in excellent cosmetic shape and includes a floppy drive! So I have now joined the world of ADAM owners. I hardly ever see these available for sale in my area so I had to jump on it. I believe I got a pretty decent deal, in fact I'm so pleased by the purchase I'm giving the seller a plug at the end of my post as he has a video game selling business and he will soon have some lovely boxed ColecoVision items to sell if anyone here is interested...

The photos below show all that I picked up. The only things missing are the data cables for the disk drive and keyboard, so I can't take her for a test drive just yet. It smells a bit like cigarette smoke so it needs a good cleaning, and I'm going to brighten up her plastic with some hydrogen peroxide and UV light.

Anyway, today feels like Xmas and I feel like a kid again :D

The seller is ACME Video Games, Mike Dymus owner/proprietor. He is currently selling stuff on eBay and Kijiji.

http://stores.ebay.com/ATARI-ACTION

http://www.kijiji.ca/o-posters-other-ads/1134787

post-39300-0-43580800-1424303175_thumb.jpg

post-39300-0-46732700-1424303176_thumb.jpg

post-39300-0-51056200-1424303177_thumb.jpg

post-39300-0-51632100-1424303178_thumb.jpg

post-39300-0-52487100-1424303179_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Welcome to the ranks of ADAM ownership... looks like I better get that ADAM Archive finished and uploaded already! Acquiring a large lot like this makes it a hell-u-va lot easier and even better was you got to see everything firsthand before purchasing.

You can take "her" for a limited test drive without the ADAMnet cables for the keyboard and disk drive, just hookup the printer to the memory console, two controllers and then, of course, to a TV. From here, plug a ColecoVision cartridge in, power-up and you'll see the Electronic Typewriter screen and can press the Cartridge Reset to test out the CV side of the ADAM. Once you are done, you can place a Data Pack (ie: Buck Rogers Super Game or SmartBASIC) in drive #1 and press the Computer Reset to start loading the tape. You can play almost all of the ADAM specific games without the keyboard.

As far as the ADAMnet cables that you need, here is a link for purchasing them:

http://www.showmecables.com/product/RJ12-6-Conductor-6P6C-Flat-Silver-Satin-Crossed-Telephone-Line-Cord-3-FT.aspx

They come in different lengths, but I'm not sure what the longest you can use would be... I've gone up to 7'. Just remember to make sure the cable is the "Twisted" or "Reverse" style and not the "Straight" style.

Just noticed, you acquired three books that I am still missing and that's the first time I have seen that variation of the "Now Command" brochure... time to put the scanner to use!

• Like 1

Yep that's the plan... I use hair developing cream with a high concentration of hydrogen peroxide, smear it on with a brush, cover it with clear plastic wrap to keep it from evaporating (and to keep clumsy teenage fingers off of it) then set it in the window for the day and that seems to do the trick.

Isn't it kind of bizarre that every other key on the keyboard has yellowed? I've never seen that before...

Jim, I just scanned in that 6-page gatefold brochure. I have higher resolution scans if you're interested but I uploaded these smaller ones here due to the file size limitations. Oh yeah and thanks for the info regarding the ADAMnet cables. I have a real cheap source for 7' ones so I'll try those first. If necessary I have the means to cut them smaller and crimp a new end on.

post-39300-0-35460700-1424312963_thumb.jpg

post-39300-0-89671500-1424312965_thumb.jpg

post-39300-0-72215000-1424312967_thumb.jpg

post-39300-0-82059400-1424312970_thumb.jpg

post-39300-0-77205200-1424312972_thumb.jpg

post-39300-0-63730200-1424312974_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Isn't it kind of bizarre that every other key on the keyboard has yellowed? I've never seen that before...

Not surprising since you said it smelled like cigarette smoke. Typing on the keyboard while holding a cigarette between your fingers probably exacerbated the yellowing keys.

Hmm... I smell a new community effort: the ADAM documentation project! :)

Joe Blenkle and I are working on it... but there's an overwhelming amount to archive even for the Adam. I recently made available my CV Archive to a couple of websites and should have to Adam Archive ready for them in a couple more weeks, at which time I'll have a better read on what is still missing and can put out the call to arms.

• Like 1

Joe Blenkle and I are working on it... but there's an overwhelming amount to archive even for the Adam. I recently made available my CV Archive to a couple of websites and should have to Adam Archive ready for them in a couple more weeks, at which time I'll have a better read on what is still missing and can put out the call to arms.

I would love to be able to band together and get permission to convert as much published material as possible into electronic format. Do you think there would be any problems doing that? This material is obviously never going to be printed again but definitely needs to be preserved and made available for CV & ADAM enthusiasts.