IGNORED

What Is Your Main/Favorite Atari 8-bit Computer Display Used and Why?

MrFish

Main Atari 8-Bit Computer Display  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Display Type?

• CRT
    • Flat-Panel
    • Projection
  2. 2. Display Class?

• Monitor
    • Studio Monitor
    • Television
    • Video Capture Card
  3. 3. Display Size?

• 10" or Smaller
    • 11" - 14"
    • 15" - 17"
    • 18" - 21"
    • 22" - 26"
    • 27" - 32"
    • 33" or Larger
  4. 4. Video Signal?

• RF
    • Composite
    • S-Video
    • VBXE
  5. 5. Video Output Circuitry?

• Modded/Custom
    • Stock Atari
  6. 6. Video Converter Box?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

What kind of display hardware are you using with your Atari 8-bit computer setup the most, and why have you chosen it?

I'm using a 13" JVC, CRT studio monitor, hooked up to s-video (and composite, switchable). I have one 800XL that's only modded in order to enable the already-present s-video. So I'm using stock output circuitry on it, and all my other XE's. I also have a composite out coming from the JVC, which I run to a video capture card, and a doubled-up mono -> Stereo audio signal which I run to both the video capture card and to my main computer, which my Atari sits right next to. The audio is handy going into my main computer because it can all be pumped into a single amplifier and speakers, or my headphones.

Things I like about this setup, and why I use it: The studio monitor produces a very clean and crisp image in conjunction with my 130XE's (and nearly as good with 800XL's). I like the slight softness that a CRT gives to the pixels, yet it's more than clear enough to use LW in soft 80-columns and rivals anything I've seen with a VBXE. I also like that the display setup closely matches what was used by developers from back in the day, which has characteristics that I think influenced choices in how graphics were designed (I.E.: lower brightness pixels appear slight smaller, and various levels of color-blending occur).

I've attempted to use LCD flat-panels in the past, and tried many -- especially the TV tuner type, with very marginal success. I actually worked in a place where I had access to thousands of used displays over the years, and never could find one that I thought even looked decent. I know people use them with success (not talking about with VBXE here), but I've personally never found one I considered worth using. The benefits of a flat panel are of course the smaller size (my JVC is larger than most 13" CRT televisions) and lower power-consumption. So I'm still open to finding one that I might like to use as a second monitor, or even my main if I thought it was good enough.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

I have yet to find a display system any better than my PC monitor (now a TV/PC monitor) and the AIW All-in-Wonder video/capture card. With this, I have only one monitor sitting on my desk and two complete systems using it. The AIW Atari screen (or press a button and its a TV screen) is completely resizable from about 3" diagonal up to full screen (way too big for 40 columns). I usually keep the screen at about 10-12" diagonal + APE and my ATR folders are always on -screen for easy mounting of the ATR's. With the same monitor I will soon add the VBXE using an RGB to VGA converter. I will use a KVM VGA/USB switch to easily switch between the PC/Atari and the VBXE.

I can't currently show a screen capture of my entire desktop since XP PAINT has a problem with my 1920 X 1080 resolution. But here is a screen capture of an upgraded 600XL using the AIW. (I never, ever thought that a 600XL could look so good!)

I should note that a real EZCAP USB capture (not necessarily a cheap knock-off) also delivers excellent video for the Atari, although the software that I've seen is not so nice as the AIW.

post-8008-0-83796900-1424351106_thumb.jp

-Larry

post-8008-0-83796900-1424351106_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I have yet to find a display system any better than my PC monitor (now a TV/PC monitor) and the AIW All-in-Wonder video/capture card. With this, I have only one monitor sitting on my desk and two complete systems using it. The AIW Atari screen (or press a button and its a TV screen) is completely resizable from about 3" diagonal up to full screen (way too big for 40 columns). I usually keep the screen at about 10-12" diagonal + APE and my ATR folders are always on -screen for easy mounting of the ATR's. With the same monitor I will soon add the VBXE using an RGB to VGA converter. I will use a KVM VGA/USB switch to easily switch between the PC/Atari and the VBXE.

I can't currently show a screen capture of my entire desktop since XP PAINT has a problem with my 1920 X 1080 resolution. But here is a screen capture of an upgraded 600XL using the AIW. (I never, ever thought that a 600XL could look so good!)

I should note that a real EZCAP USB capture (not necessarily a cheap knock-off) also delivers excellent video for the Atari, although the software that I've seen is not so nice as the AIW.

post-8008-0-83796900-1424351106_thumb.jp

-Larry

That looks like a really nice picture Larry. I've heard a lot of good things over the years about using the AIW with Ataris. I'd like to get one myself some day.

What bus/connector does yours use? What kind of delay/lag do you get using it?

Edited by MrFish

I had a question about your about whether the video is modded or not. I said yes because I added the Chroma to my 800XL so I could do SVideo, is that not counted as modded?

I don't really consider it a "video circuitry" mod, as it's just connecting circuitry that already exists. I was really trying to get at modifications which add and/or subtract components. But technically it is a mod. I probably should have worded things a little more specifically, or added some more options there. Too late to edit the poll now though.

I have typically used a Commodore 1084S the most, which is acceptable over composite. I've been experimenting with using S-VIDEO (and composite) on the XRGB-mini Framemeister with the various Atari 8-bits and have been extremely pleased with the output over HDMI to a Sony PlayStation LCD monitor. I'll be doing a full blog post about the results soon.

I have typically used a Commodore 1084S the most, which is acceptable over composite. I've been experimenting with using S-VIDEO (and composite) on the XRGB-mini Framemeister with the various Atari 8-bits and have been extremely pleased with the output over HDMI to a Sony PlayStation LCD monitor. I'll be doing a full blog post about the results soon.

I've heard the XRGB-mini Framemeister's are pretty nice. Quite pricy, but better than wasting time and money on upscaler's that promise everything and deliver nothing.

Edited by MrFish

I've heard the XRGB-mini Framemeister's are pretty nice. Quite pricy, but better than wasting time and money on upscaler's that promise everything and deliver nothing.

While I have every type of vintage monitor and TV I could ever want, I liked the idea of a convenience (single source) solution that would actually make modern displays usable. While it is indeed pricey (around $330 direct from Japan), I deemed it worth the investment, and I haven't been disappointed. I will say, however, that thus far in my testing, I've found that S-VIDEO and higher is spectacular and you don't miss out on anything notable from the best CRT displays, but COMPOSITE signals are nothing to write home about. It's really only as good as the signal fed to it. Feeding something like RGB or better, and the output is stunning on a good HDMI-equipped LCD (and obviously those are highly variable in quality themselves).

My only disappointment with the XRGB-mini is that it lacks RF and VGA inputs. I'm going to experiment with simple VGA to HDMI adapters (trying not to introduce lag), but I'm not optimistic. I may simply utilize a different display with VGA in (I actually have a LG LED with both VGA and RF in, but I'm not thrilled with the picture). As for the RF stuff, luckily only a handful of the hundreds of platforms in my collection are still stuck on that, so it's not a major issue, but I would like still like a way to route everything through the XRGB-mini if possible. With that said, for RF stuff, I'm probably better off with a CRT display with an RF input, and I can always use that LG LED in a pinch. I also have an RF to VGA converter (when I don't want to use a VCR), but I need to address the VGA to HDMI issue first.

• Like 1

Today

Today I use an older Dell 1908-FP monitor with a DVDO iScan Pro. It produces a nice display and correctly interprets the Atari signal (I have several other video upscalers and they don't all work). I also have a 1701 that I use regularly and it produces excellent results as one would expect.

Back in the Day

Well I used a Monochrome screen (Amdek) for years with an RCA XL100 13" TV (RF only). I always thought it was the greatest setup short of having a Trinitron (which just seemed too expensive). But I had an 800XL... later I saw a 130XE running on a Commodore 170x and it blew me away (running chroma/luma of course). I bought a used Commodore 1802 and used it for many years. Threw out the Amdek (regrettably), but acquired an Apple II green screen. When the 1802 died I eventually bought a 1702. In a mad rush to clean up, I ended up donating the 1702. Regretted it, and then bought a mint, mint, mint 1701 for $10. Still have it. I acquired a 1084 as well and don't currently use it (the 1701 is in better shape and produces better color).

But I'm not as nostalgic about scanlines as some are--I think I may do away with all CRT devices if I can stick with flat-panels. I think the xrgb looks good (but its very expensive). The DVDO iscans are expensive, but they come up as surplus on ebay fairly often and they do work very well. I suspect the models which don't offer HDMI will get cheaper and cheaper... the two units i have are VGA and DVI respectively.

post-3606-0-44601100-1316127090.jpg

JVC TM-A13SU

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/monitor/manual/TM-A13SU_A13UCV_A13SUW.pdf

It does S-video, NTSC & PAL, and uses a P22 tube like the classic Commodore, Amdek, etc.. monitors. Basically it's the classic computer monitor with multi-system features.

I'll use LCD when I need to hook up to something in a hurry, but I think software choices should be made to look good on a CRT.

• Like 6

Commodores on a 1701 via chroma/luma cable, everything else on a Philips 8833-MKII via RGB.

Poll needs updating to include an RGB input option. I couldn't vote, as I couldn't complete the survey accurately.

No RGB on Atari 8-bits but others, yes. Atari 8-bit via Composite into SCART on 8833-MKII.

Edited by UKRetrogamer

post-3606-0-44601100-1316127090.jpg

JVC TM-A13SU

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/monitor/manual/TM-A13SU_A13UCV_A13SUW.pdf

It does S-video, NTSC & PAL, and uses a P22 tube like the classic Commodore, Amdek, etc.. monitors. Basically it's the classic computer monitor with multi-system features.

I'll use LCD when I need to hook up to something in a hurry, but I think software choices should be made to look good on a CRT.

I have one of these as well. Absolutely best display choice I ever made. Works with PAL and NTSC, it's great. It's a tank, seems like it will last a hundred years. I got mine for only 40 bucks too, which I thought was a steal.

I have one of these as well. Absolutely best display choice I ever made. Works with PAL and NTSC, it's great. It's a tank, seems like it will last a hundred years. I got mine for only 40 bucks too, which I thought was a steal.

The other nice thing is they were made fairly recently so they should last a while. You can still find NOS ones too.

• Like 1