IGNORED

Alice's Mom's Rescue

Orion_

I'm officially announcing Alice's Mom's Rescue !

This is a 2D platformer game in the old school style.

The giant raven has captured Alice's mother.
Help Alice save her mother through the 3 worlds and 25 levels!
Change Alice's height by jumping on the magic mushrooms to get through the tiny spaces.
But be aware that your small size will also reduce your physical abilities!
Solve puzzles, beware of the evil cats, birds, bats & spikes, and find the right path to victory.

alice1.pngalice4.pngalice2.png

The game will soon be available for the Jaguar CD, on professionally pressed CD in a DVD case + manual. (like Philia)

It plays at 30 fps in NTSC, and 25 fps in PAL. It support the Memory Track cartridge with automatic saving.

The CD will also include a PC Windows version ! (Hybrid CD)

Unfortunately, the game won't fit inside a cartridge, except if the cartridge is 6MBytes (which is not the case of the cartridges I can produce)

So, I was wondering, if people without a JagCD would be happy if a ROM version would be available so they can flash it on their SkunkBoard Rev 2 !

Is there many people out there with a Skunkboard rev2 and without a JagCD ?

The ROM will be available on the CD, but also as a downloadable file (with cheaper price)

• Like 20

First of all Orion, this is awesome news!.The game looks great. I love the pixel art, and i am a sucker for old school platformers.

About this:

It plays at 30 fps in NTSC, and 25 fps in PAL.

I dont want to sound like a jerk for asking, but any reason for that frame rate?. I dont have much programing or technical knowledge, but from what i understand, 2d games from the 16 bit era, usually ran at 60fps. OK, now that i asked, i do feel like jerk :P . Just curiosity, i am loving the screenshots :D .

• Like 1

I dont want to sound like a jerk for asking, but any reason for that frame rate?. I dont have much programing or technical knowledge, but from what i understand, 2d games from the 16 bit era, usually ran at 60fps. OK, now that i asked, i do feel like jerk :P . Just curiosity, i am loving the screenshots :D .

It's because I'm not an optimization freak on Jaguar :)

The game use 2 tilemap scrolling layers, and It could be done using optimized OP list, but I never got this technique working, and I don't have enough ram for doing a multi buffer scrolling.

So I'm using the blitter to create the full screen each frame and this takes a lots of time despite my effort.

In PAL, It can be played at 50 fps, but at certain place in some levels, because of the second layer, the frame drop to 25, so I decided to fix the gameplay at 25fps.

Edited by Orion_

It's because I'm not an optimization freak on Jaguar :)

The game use 2 tilemap scrolling layers, and It could be done using optimized OP list, but I never got this technique working, and I don't have enough ram for doing a multi buffer scrolling.

So I'm using the blitter to create the full screen each frame and this takes a lots of time despite my effort.

In PAL, It can be played at 50 fps, but at certain place in some levels, because of the second layer, the frame drop to 25, so I decided to fix the gameplay at 25fps.

I see. It still looks like a fantastic effort Orion. Gotta love that pixel art.

I would like a CD copy but I refuse to pay for a ROM, that's outrageous. Also, is this SECAM compatible at 42 frames per second? I prefer 42 fps it just looks nice(and oh so smooth.) Also Alice's moms rescue is a weird name please change it to "Milfquest" Thank you for your attention to these matters ;)

• Like 6

Is this one going to be built with NTSC Jaguars in mind as well?

The game was ported on Jaguar with a 320x224 screen restriction.

So it is NTSC compatible, no screen truncate.

My Jaguar is PAL but I force the NTSC init to test like if it was a real NTSC display (320x224 60Hz)

I'm just waiting someone to test it on a real NTSC Jaguar, and also with the M bios (I had problem with Yopaz on this particular model)

Once these tests pass, I will start the production.

No preorder, the game should be available by the end of March.

Good news, the 6MB ROM version is ready and working on my skunkboard :)

Edited by Orion_
  • Like 3

The game was ported on Jaguar with a 320x224 screen restriction.

So it is NTSC compatible, no screen truncate.

My Jaguar is PAL but I force the NTSC init to test like if it was a real NTSC display (320x224 60Hz)

I'm just waiting someone to test it on a real NTSC Jaguar, and also with the M bios (I had problem with Yopaz on this particular model)

Once these tests pass, I will start the production.

No preorder, the game should be available by the end of March.

Good news, the 6MB ROM version is ready and working on my skunkboard :)

This is AWESOME! Congrats! Color me ready to buy the CD version!