IGNORED

What are good "Wow, Xbox360/PS3 couldn't have done that" moments/games?

kisrael

I think "The Witcher 3" will be one of the first games that would make me feel that way.

Uncharted 3 looks also great but not a lot better than last games of the last generation. Don't think that we will see a major step up in graphics or gameplay in this generation.

Hope that I'm wrong but the games industry is clearly focused on making one sequel after the other and milking everything out of their franchises.

There are some exceptions thankfully.

Maybe "Sunset Overdrive" wasn't a good example... but the close up models in it didn't feel particularly nextgen - still very android like.

Maybe the hoards of zombies in it? I guess not, we saw the same in Crackdown 2 or whatever.

No wonder they keep releasing games on 4 platforms. Does something like GTA 5 look noticeably lot better?

The PS4 and Xbox One are hardly the pinnacle of gaming tech hardware wise. This console generation so far has been a very small jump.

Having said that, Final Fantasy XV looks like something that simply could not be done on the PS3/360, but that's not out yet. There's not really anything that has actually been released on the new consoles so far where I can say "Woah, my PS3 couldn't do that!"

Sure, most games on the PS4/One wouldn't be possible on the PS3/360 at the same frame rate or screen resolution, but nothing yet has stuck out to me as a huge jump.

Edited by R.Bear

I think part of the problem is that developers are becoming resolution-obsessed. The higher the resolution, the more it reveals the polygon edges.

The resolution was high enough on the 360 and PS3. What we need more of is polygons and a focus on good lighting and texturing (and better motion capture).

If someone figures out proper real-time HDRI rendering for video games, then we'll definitely see a serious jump in realism.

Edited by Nebulon

The last game that really wow'd me was Mario Kart 8. Just so much pizzazz and color! Nothing on my Xbox One has done that yet. I've only played a handful of games, though. Forza Horizons 2 is a pretty cool experience to be just drifting through the fields and stuff. I can't imagine that looking as good at the right framerate on the 360 but I'm not sure that's a huge deal for me.

This is what i cannot get my head around:Pre-launch hype of PS4/XB! there were cries on the modern gaming forums i used to read that the aging hardware of PS3/360 were holding game development back and by god was new hardware needed and now, well it's here, been here for a while and unlike say PS3 was, not throttled by lack of Ram, so...where are the 'Only Possible On...' games?.I loved Uncharted KZ2,3, Infamous 1+2, Heavy Rain etc etc, yet nothing on PS4 has impressed me, at all so far.

N.Dog put up comparison shots between PS3 Uncharted and PS4 uncharted, talk of 4X the detail etc and it's just looking 'nicer' not OMG LOOK AT THAT!..just yeah..itz s'alright.

Bloodborne i like 'look of' but only because it's nearest i'll get to Demon Souls 2 on PS4, i'd love for an Xcom:Terror From The deep to be annouced, but so far, so...i'm sticking with PS3 ta.

I think the major differences will be resolution and frame rate. The highest resolution for most of my PS3 games is 720p. I play on a 24 inch monitor so they still look great. Killzone Shadow Fall's graphics and frame rate on PS4 are noticeably improved compared to Killzone 3, which still wows me even if it is "last gen". I think something like Deep Down will really wow us if it ever gets released as a game.

Edited by xenomorpher

Maybe it's just getting harder to notice the improvements? I mean going from say even the MD/MCD to the Jaguar it was clear just how much more powerful the hardware was...Alien 3 on MD or AVP on Jaguar?.

From Jaguar to PS1-OMG Ridge Racer, Toh Shin Den, look at those graphics, you can see her pants etc etc :-) PS1 to DC...DC games looked lovely and crisp, vibrant colours etc....but after that?
Resolution increases, more polygons, richer textures and...and....think last big noticable leap for myself was Xbox via Scart to PS3/360 via HDMI, hell even PS3/360 plugging in HDMI....
Now it's small stepping stones rather than big leaps.

I thought GTA V was pretty impressive, not so much in graphics as in the world itself. There's just so much stuff they added in that makes it fun to explore and mess around just to see what happens. I have a huge weakness for games that insert weird little details like that.

I thought GTA V was pretty impressive, not so much in graphics as in the world itself. There's just so much stuff they added in that makes it fun to explore and mess around just to see what happens. I have a huge weakness for games that insert weird little details like that.

Stuff they added to the next gen, or stuff that applies to the ps3/xbox360 version as well?

While I'm enjoying the games on both the PS4 and Xbox One, for me one of the biggest improvements is just the overall performance of the systems outside the games. It's a bit difficult to explain, but being able to more quickly access games, media, etc., and switch between different activities has made the systems a joy to use for me. The older consoles, and even the Wii U, seem a bit pokey in comparison. In any case, I suspect we'll have more "wow" moments by the latter part of this year as second and third gen titles start to hit, but I do agree that since we've already long since made the switch to HD, there is going to be less room to impress on a raw level. Perhaps whatever happens after this generation in say another 6, 7, or 8 years and we have native support for 4K, we'll be wowed again for a while.

Dead Rising 3

The moment you see hundreds of zombies on the screen simultaneously, with a very solid view distance, it's clear the next gen systems are much more powerful.

I basically got that from Sunset Overdrive as well. Tons of action on screen, and then when you bolt into the air and realize how far back it's rendering.. Yeah, it definitely looks next-gen. Improvements can still be made of course, but it's definitely a step above. That's even more true if you go from something like DR3 or SO and immediately flip to a similar 360 game, it will look like night and day.

Ryse is another good similar example. Unfortunately, unlike SO it's a game that's style over substance. But it's a really, really nice looking example of one, haha.

Edited by Austin

Yeah I'd also have to go with Dead Rising 3. Only it's not hundreds of zombies, it's thousands. This chapter had 3x as many zombies onscreen as the previous game, and better they weren't all clones. In fact supposedly no two of the exact same zombie will appear onscreen at the same time, having randomly generated accessories and colors. It's really the only title this gen that got me excited as to the possibly of the future, and is indeed a super fun game to play Unfortunately since then there hasn't been much that has caught my eye. Looking forward to Crackdown on the Xbox One. Hoping that one really shows off the power of this gen. I'm sure Halo 5 will have some jaw dropping moments.

If I had to really pick some "Wow these look great!" games I would say these:

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Mario Kart 8

Driveclub

Infamous Second Son

The Order

P.T (Silent Hill)

Assassins Creed Unity

Ryse

I haven't seen Farcry or Sunset Overdrive myself but I'm sure those games look fantastic.