IGNORED

TOP 10 Saturn Games (Video)

Metal Jesus

Top 10 Saturn Games of all time with Anna. The Sega Saturn was a mostly ignored console in North America but it was still home to tons of amazing games you should play and own!

Games Shown:
1. Saturn Bomberman
2. Panzer Dragoon Series
3. The Game Paradise
4. Shining Force III / Holy Ark
5. Nights into Dreams
6. Albert Odyssey
7. Galactic Attack
8. Street Fighter II Puzzle Turbo
9. Darius Gaiden
10. Virtua Cop 2
What would be YOUR Top 10 Saturn Games?

Let's see...

Sega Ages - Sure, pixel-perfect arcade ports are not such a big thing now that we have MAME and other commercial emulators and such, but this holds a spot near and dear to my heart because it was the disc that convinced me to buy a Saturn. Playing Space Harrier and OutRun at home exactly as I played them in the arcades made for an easy sell. Plus, this is still about the only place where you can play OutRun at a silky smooth 60 frames per second! Of course Japanese Saturn owners have it even better, with each Sega Ages game getting its own disc full of lots of extras like theme remixes, not to mention other games in the "Ages" series that never made it to the U.S., like Power Drift. That one never did get the home port it truly deserved, at least not in the States.

Night Warriors: DarkStalkers' Revenge - This particular entry in my favorite fighting series didn't make it to the PlayStation, and the Saturn developers were nice enough to include an Easter egg that basically gives you the original DarkStalkers as well.

Sonic 3D Blast - It may not be the biggest or most beloved title in the series, but it was still a neat departure from the 2D platforming seen up until that point. Plus, I love the music.

Daytona USA - Yeah, kind of middle-of-the-road as far as racers go (pardon the pun), but still a lot of fun to me. It brings back memories of the Daytona USA arcade cabinet in the rec area back in college. I'm endeared to the original Ridge Racer on the PlayStation for the same reason.

Virtua Fighter 2 - 3D fighters of the era didn't get much more good looking than this.

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - I'm fascinated by the home ports of the MK3 cloud of games. Sony paid for the original Mortal Kombat 3 to be a PlayStation exclusive... exclusive among 32/64-bit consoles, anyway. Of course MK3 was rather obviously incomplete, and arcades soon had Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 to make up for it. That game ended up being a Saturn exclusive... again, speaking only about 32/64-bit consoles. Amusingly, even UMK3 was missing some features in the arcade, most obviously the biographies for all but a select few characters. While the Saturn port "kept" those missing features, 16-bit ports for the Genesis and SNES included just about everything, and even added new finishing moves called "Brutalities" (subtly making up for the missing "Animalities" which would have required more memory). Between that and the disc loading times that plagued all PlayStation and Saturn fighters, you could make a convincing case that the best version of MK3 was not in the arcade, and not on the then-current generation of home consoles, but on the previous generation! Even so, the Saturn port remains the best-looking and best-sounding home port, so it makes my list. And none of this is to mention the sort-of apology to PlayStation (and N64) owners that also threw the MK mythology completely out the window, mashing everything into a Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

NiGHTS into Dreams and Virtua Cop 2 also make my list. I'm afraid I haven't played enough other Saturn games to consider any beyond these to be must-haves, so I guess I only have a Top Eight.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I haven't played enough other Saturn games to consider any beyond these to be must-haves, so I guess I only have a Top Eight.

Most of the games in this video are so rare and expensive that I would never have been able to do this video without Anna's help. Panzer Dragoon Saga alone goes for $450+ locally...

Good list, there are so many good games for Sega Saturn that it's kinda hard to pick "Best 10".

I may have to check out "The Game Paradise", never heard of it.

I have the Saturn Bomberman, and this game is FUN. I noticed that in my local GAMEOVER game store they want over $100 for it.

It will forever kill me that Panzer Dragoon Saga, House of the Dead, and Shining Force III were $19.99 at Toys R Us when Sega announced ending development for the Saturn. This was _not_ long after they'd been released. Why I didn't buy ten copies of each I do not understand now. :P

Why I sold my Panzer Saga I will never, ever understand. :( I think I thought it hit its peak at $200 when I gave it up. Ooh, was I wrong.

Excellent list!! I have not heard of Game Paradise, but must look into this now.

My favorite ten, in no order, would be something like:

1. Virtua Cop (yes, I prefer the first to the 2nd, though the 2nd definitely has its advantages!)

2. Dragon Force!!!!!!

3. Die Hard Arcade (a Streets of Rage style beat-em-up with a stupid license / name)

4. Guardian Heroes

5. Nightwarriors

6. Street Fighter Alpha 2

7. Fighter's MegaMix (after unlocking it, you can fight as the car from Daytona :D You can perform a noogie with your tire on the opponent's face)

8. Nights

9. Mass Destruction

10. Daytona Championship Circuit Edition

I don't understand why people like Albert Odyssey so much. I played through it a long time ago (back in '99, I believe), and I remember it being a chore to do so. It just wasn't terribly fun to me. I was surprised to see what people were paying for this game when I sold my copy a couple of years ago.

I enjoyed the story and visuals of Albert Odyssey, but the load times.. ugh, the load times. It was hard to slog through it without being inebriated in some way or form, heh.

Ha ha, maybe that was the problem. I just remember when I finished it that . . . I was finished with it. I was glad to be done with it.

Played Vampire Savior on my Saturn tonight. Now that is a fun game, though I'm not very good at it.

I really like that Game Paradise, too bad I don't have a Saturn. I Googled if a PS1 version was ever made and oh my God my bleeding ears!! Do NOT get Gunbare Game Tengoku 2 unless you want to hear an anime girl shout repeatedly every two seconds!

By the way MJR if you like Guardian Heroes and I happen to know you have a 3DS, I recommend Code of Princess. It's a fun hack n slash using the same 3-plane game style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJAwV9rEtYY

• Like 1