IGNORED

Several New Versions of AVP For Lynx Discovered

Willard

that's a good question :P They all are different, and some people may prefer some elements over others. Check out that grid. I'd go with the earliest one.

That's a lot like my copy of Daemonsgate.

It allows you to mix potions, whereas the version everyone has played does not. The sad part is, I can't buy stuff from the shop owners. If I could do that, like the version from the B&C Computer carts, then this would be a pretty complete version (or so I would think). My version even has a different city then the regular release.

interesting to hear AVP wasn't the only one. I'm sure other stuff was probably being done to the code, but that's interesting to hear there were other WIP games that had different builds with features that were more complete than the other. Could be two different programmers working on different sections of the code, and compiling their own build.

I guess the saddest part of AVP was that our builds spanned about 8 months and still all they managed to really do was add pickups and subtract a bunch of stuff from the game :roll: I suppose there may be more locked away in the ROM that may eventually be restored.

Edited by Willard

^ As sage just implied, he restored the alien as a playable character to the menu for all the AVP versions. There are no enemies (just you running around as an alien) but it's really cool to see this go from Dr_Kirk finding these hiddent features with codes to Sage restoring the content to the game itself. Sage did a great job on this!

Edited by Willard
  • Like 1

Actually, the really funny thing is, the Alien will show up and is selectable if you connect three lynxes with comlynx in the unpatched ROM.

One player marine, second is predator, third is alien.

If you connect only two lynxes, only marine and predator are selectable.

And I am quiet sure that is valid for all four prototype versions (at least from the code I see), but I tested only the "released" one as flashing to three cards is time consuming.

Note that playing is not working at all :-(((((((

Actually, the really funny thing is, the Alien will show up and is selectable if you connect three lynxes with comlynx in the unpatched ROM.

And I am quiet sure that is valid for all four prototype versions (at least from the code I see), but I tested only the "released" one as flashing to three cards is time consuming.

WOW! That's super cool! Considering i love playing and collecting full ComLynx sets i find this fascinating! :)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the unpatched ROM? Do you mean the actual different cart proto versions (released) or something else?

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as both the marine and the Predator have three weapons at their disposal, I wondered why the Alien only had two. I had a look to see if there was a tail in there somewhere, but no luck. There doesn't seem to be any other attacks for the bug.

That's interesting, never considered that but now that you mention it, it was a feature in the Jaguar version.

I think the Alien campaign was quite a nice discovery though. The recent discoveries have certainly uncovered a lot of content that wasn't previously known to be present in the later versions including the Alien Campaign, Alien enemies, attacking enemies, and ability to play through all 3 campaigns. I would've really liked to have seen hit detection when the player gets attacked... really sad the game seemed all the resources were there, but it wasn't completed.

Note that playing is not working at all :-(((((((

Although it seems it would've probably been alien vs predator vs marine in comlynx mode, it would been really cool to get a comlynx mode where one player is either the predator or marine, and all the others are aliens. I think the comlynx mode had potential! And It makes more sense to see the Alien as a character that appears in comlynx than as a real campaign, although who knows what the devs were planning. I think AVP would've been an incredible game had it been released sooner in the Lynx's life.

Daft question, but just who was behind this game when it was in development?

Heard claims of:Rebellion, claims of Atari Corp plus it featured in list of Softography for Climax...i iz confused...

It was images software (founded by the same guy as The Climax Group). I suspect the producer was probably Purple Hampton. I'm not sure about Rebellion's involvement or where that information came from.

If you ever get in touch with anyone involved, besides figuring out what on earth Atari was doing developing the game so late, it'd be interesting to know why progress in the last 8 months was so slow yet it is clear they were working on it.

The Rebellion Claim? popped up on 1 or 2 websites, if memory serves, i'd wager people just figured, well they were doing the Jag version, so must have been doing the Lynx version.

Would Karl Jeffery be the Climax guy in question?

Ok, 'fess up time...

I have been in contact with Purple, as you yourself know, but i'll annouce it openly.He has been an utter star, but sadly has been under ill health and been in Hospital for surgery, so the planned interview fell through.

However he has very koindly offered to look at the questions i sent relating to Lynx AVP, when he's recovered, which i thought was most generous of him.

Although it seems it would've probably been alien vs predator vs marine in comlynx mode, it would been really cool to get a comlynx mode where one player is either the predator or marine, and all the others are aliens. I think the comlynx mode had potential! And It makes more sense to see the Alien as a character that appears in comlynx than as a real campaign, although who knows what the devs were planning.

Never thought of that possibility before! Mind, BLOWN!!! :o :lust:

That would've been incredible. Too bad literally no one I knew was cool enough to own a Lynx aside from me at the time, in my small group of friends. They were too busy with their GameBoys...

That was my situation back in the day. Then the Lynx got real cheap and i started buying up multiple Lynx II's, full comlynx cart sets and numerous comlynx cables. Good thing i had local gaming mates aplenty :-D

• 4 years later...