IGNORED

PC to Atari Falcon: Sharing Files

What is the easiest way to share files between an Atari Falcon and a PC. The options I can currently fathom:

- External SCSI CDROM and burned CD's

- External SCSI-to-RemovableMedia device

- Buffered IDE adaper and a second IDE device; again, some kind of adapter to removable media

- Null modem cable and a terminal program; zmodem up and down

Anything I missed? Anything that might allow me to treat some connection like a disk?

Well, since I run a BBS on my Falcon, I use that (the zmodem solution basically) if I want to do a log of things and don't care much about the time.... That, or floppy disk if I'm keeping it under 1.44mb. I'll be hooking up the Ethernet adapter soon but for now that's how I've been doing it. I also have an Aztec CF Monster that I plan to put in my external enclosure someday, but not yet.

Do you have an actual HDD or a CF drive in there? On my falcon with the CF drive, I just left the case unscrewed and pulled the CF card out when I needed to back things up.

Do you have an actual HDD or a CF drive in there? On my falcon with the CF drive, I just left the case unscrewed and pulled the CF card out when I needed to back things up.

I have a CF inside the Falcon. I guess running the ribbon cable external is an option, though I don't like it. I don't have an external case for the SCSI, but I do have a SCSI-to-IDE and an IDE-2-CF solution I could use. That's actually how I get it done inside my TT and my Mega STe.

I guess the real question is how often are you going to do it, and how large are the files that you're going to be dealing with. If it will be small files frequently, maybe the term program way is a decent option (or floppy if it's going to be under 1.44mb).

But hey, let's get crazy here...... You said you had a null modem already, right?

http://paradize.final-memory.org/sting1.shtml

To set up Sting using the PC and Null Cable...... (which you should be able to get 56k at least, since I actually can get 56k connections to the BBS through the Lantronix) and....

http://ptonthat.fr/litchi/ - An FTP client, that is actually still being updated (last updated on Feb 7 2015!!!!).... Set up a basic FTP server on the PC and you're good to go.

I guess the real question is how often are you going to do it, and how large are the files that you're going to be dealing with.

Yes, I should have explained that. I'm developing software for the Falcon. But I don't trust emulation to run it reliably for testing purposes and developing the software on an actual Falcon is unnecessarily slow and painful. I'd like to edit the code on a modern system, save it to a shared filespace, and then compile and test it on the Falcon. If I can avoid a workflow that includes ferrying the code back and forth, I'd like to. If it can't be avoided, the solution should at least be based on high-speed, removeable, rewritable media, NOT used to boot the machine.

Anima's serial disk is very nice. It is definitely worth a look. It's written by somebody who actively develops great code for Falcon so it's going to 'feel right' for that sort of work.

PARCP however is also wonderful, and is actually faster because it uses the parallel port. It is undergoing some software changes which will probably make it *ideal* for software development. This is still in beta so I should say nomore - but it's going to make my life easier :)

I would actually recommend getting your hands on both and play around. The cost is tiny and the benefits multiple, if you have any plans to be writing code! You may find one is better at something than the other.

There are some other options available e.g. USB floppy emulation, CFlash swapping, possibly CosmosEx in future - but for now the two items above are the business for this task.