IGNORED

Why we love ColecoVision and Retro Games!

Marcks73

I don't know why, but once I ran Burgertime for the first time in my Colecovision three years ago, I had a feeling of being accomplished :)

I've a lot of consoles in my collection, but I prefer the Colecovision (check my signature, I've a LOT of games for it)

That reminds me of the Classic Game Room review of BurgerTime for the ColecoVision. He said he'd never played BurgerTime before that review and he couldn't stop playing the CV version of it. Another example of a game that's finely-tuned and designed for extensive replay value.

As for age, I'm nearing the end of 42 (and I haven't figured out the meaning of life, the universe, and everything yet).

• Like 2

First off...I am 49!

Back in the day, I was a die hard 2600 fanatic, and I hated the Colecovision commercials that would boast better graphics then the 2600. I guess deep down I was jealous, and I knew that my parents would never allow a second video game system in the house.

But, I got my own job, and bought my own Colecovision in college when they went on clearance because of the crash. At the time, I could not believe the complexity of the system, and the amazing arcade quality graphics. I have owned many systems over the years, but for some reason the Colecovision is the one that I return to most.

For me it is pure nostalgia, and gameplay. A quick game of Frenzy when I don't have too much time to play. And no two games of Frenzy are ever the same. There is no memorizing of moves or jumps. Just adrenaline pumping reaction and shooting!

As for nostalgia...I can still hear my mother yelling at me and my cousin to come up stairs and stop playing video games, during a huge family reunion. We played Gorf for hours on end.

My older sister's husband and I playing Frogger and Missile Command (on the expansion module) during my mother's Sunday Brunches. He has since passed on, but every time I play those games, I think of him sneaking Bloody Mary's to me on Sunday mornings.

I think of another buddy of mine, when I brought my Colecovision to his house, and we played all night. In the morning, the girders from Donkey Kong were burned into the picture tube. His mother was furious with me, and wanted me to buy them a new color TV!! When I run into him, we still laugh about it to this day.

To this day, sometimes when I get home from work late at night, I play Venture until the wee hours, trying to get to the end of the game, that doesn't exist.

And right now...my wife is working, and the kids are out for the night. Time for a marathon session!

Edited by Bartsfam
  • Like 3

I'm afraid to ask what you might think of me... I'm 26! :D (If it helps, I don't feel like I'm 26...)

Because of that, my childhood would be the 16-bit era, but I didn't get a Super Nintendo until around... 2004, I think... and a Sega Genesis until 2012 or 2013. Interestingly, when everyone else was possibly playing SNES games, I had a 4-switch woodgrain Atari 2600 hooked up to one of my grandmother's old 13" monochrome TVs. Played that thing for hours, or at least until my legs fell asleep (I sat on a box, lol). Pole Position, Pac-Man (I liked it, anyway), Ms. Pac-Man (would play for hours against only one ghost... yeah, I was that bad against four ghosts! :D), Berzerk, Missile Command (used to be afraid of the "game over" sound after a while, or as my dad called it, "total annihilation" lol), among others. I later got a 4-switch Vader, and I don't know if I still have either one, but I do know that both lost a switch, each; one lost its Game Select switch, the other its Game Reset switch. You can guess which one I still played after that. :D A few years later, probably around 1999 or so, my mother gave me my first computer, and I got really into that. Next came the NES (my cousin had two, and he gave me one, along with TMNT2 and SMB3; my brother played the heck out of TMNT2, growing up, and I've gotten as far as the final battle with Shredder, but I've conquered SMB3 at least once... the game froze right after the curtain went down... lol)

Then came the SNES, which is pretty much my favorite console, but I also enjoy the NES, and the Atari 7800. The Atari 7800 I didn't even know existed (I'd heard of the 5200, and then there was a huge leap to the Atari Jaguar, but I didn't know about anything in-between until several years ago, which includes the 8-bit computers, and the ST), until I actually saw one for the first time... and it was like falling in love with the 2600 all over again. My brother and I loved playing Xenophobe (we still do, even though I can't find my 7800, now) and Ballblazer, and I liked to play Impossible Mission (before I knew it was truly "impossible"), and would play Commando every now and again. That's one of the reasons why I wanna make at least one game for the 7800; I feel it has a lot of untapped potential... or there's just something about it, that I can't quite explain...

I hope this doesn't sound too weird, coming from a guy who was born right at the beginning of 1989, and missed out on that fun joyride that was the 1980s, even though, if personal time machines ever go mainstream, I'm seriously considering trying to live out 1980 onward. :D

Edited by MobiusAqua
  • Like 5

MobiusAqua, great story!!! Thanks for sharing!

My own kids always say the magical 70-80's wonder years would be when they wished theid been born!

The best years of video gaming for sure, but we can all relive it by collecting the retro!!!!

• Like 1

I'm afraid to ask what you might think of me... I'm 26! :D (If it helps, I don't feel like I'm 26...)

Because of that, my childhood would be the 16-bit era, but I didn't get a Super Nintendo until around... 2004, I think... and a Sega Genesis until 2012 or 2013. Interestingly, when everyone else was possibly playing SNES games, I had a 4-switch woodgrain Atari 2600 hooked up to one of my grandmother's old 13" monochrome TVs. Played that thing for hours, or at least until my legs fell asleep (I sat on a box, lol). Pole Position, Pac-Man (I liked it, anyway), Ms. Pac-Man (would play for hours against only one ghost... yeah, I was that bad against four ghosts! :D), Berzerk, Missile Command (used to be afraid of the "game over" sound after a while, or as my dad called it, "total annihilation" lol), among others. I later got a 4-switch Vader, and I don't know if I still have either one, but I do know that both lost a switch, each; one lost its Game Select switch, the other its Game Reset switch. You can guess which one I still played after that. :D A few years later, probably around 1999 or so, my mother gave me my first computer, and I got really into that. Next came the NES (my cousin had two, and he gave me one, along with TMNT2 and SMB3; my brother played the heck out of TMNT2, growing up, and I've gotten as far as the final battle with Shredder, but I've conquered SMB3 at least once... the game froze right after the curtain went down... lol)

Then came the SNES, which is pretty much my favorite console, but I also enjoy the NES, and the Atari 7800. The Atari 7800 I didn't even know existed (I'd heard of the 5200, and then there was a huge leap to the Atari Jaguar, but I didn't know about anything in-between until several years ago, which includes the 8-bit computers, and the ST), until I actually saw one for the first time... and it was like falling in love with the 2600 all over again. My brother and I loved playing Xenophobe (we still do, even though I can't find my 7800, now) and Ballblazer, and I liked to play Impossible Mission (before I knew it was truly "impossible"), and would play Commando every now and again. That's one of the reasons why I wanna make at least one game for the 7800; I feel it has a lot of untapped potential... or there's just something about it, that I can't quite explain...

I hope this doesn't sound too weird, coming from a guy who was born right at the beginning of 1989, and missed out on that fun joyride that was the 1980s, even though, if personal time machines ever go mainstream, I'm seriously considering trying to live out 1980 onward. :D

Further proof that there's more to retrogaming than nostalgia. And that it isn't just for back-in-the-dayers. :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Why do we love ColecoVision and all the retro gaming experience? Why do we return to our loved games of old? Why do we need to get that nostalgic yet satisfying feeling back? Why do we need to talk and share with others about this so fondly?

Share with us how YOU felt back in the day!

Cheers!!!

Coleco manufactured amazing products of incredible quality. Anyone receiving a Coleco product for their birthday, or Christmas, would jump for joy.

I remember, Christmas 1979 or 1980, receiving Coleco "Head-to-Head Electronic Football". My Brother and I played the crap out of it. I believe Mattel created the original electronic handheld football game, but Coleco perfected it. This was their niche - perfecting products previously done by someone else; or at least, that's my memory. Therefore, it was no surprise, when Coleco unseated Atari, as video game champion, with its awesome "Colecovision" and accompanying library of arcade-reminiscent games.

I am of the generation that grew up with the arcade and subsequent home video game scene. I love Atari more than anything. I must admit though, that Colecovision created the greatest console of the era.

Nintendo should count its lucky stars, for the video game crash coupled with Coleco, essentially bankrupting itself, with the fatally flawed "ADAM" computer. If Coleco had released their projected "Super Game Module", the remaining 80's video game scene might have been very different.

• Like 1

Well, the Adam didn't bankrupt Coleco, but between the videogame slowdown (crash if you must) and all the problems Coleco had bringing the Adam to market... it made it very easy for Coleco higher-ups to pull the plug on their videogame and computer electronics division. They continued on in the toy market have a number of successful products until the late 80s.

Aside from that, the CV was indeed the best system of it's time!!!!

• Like 1