IGNORED

Question for hard-core perfectionist gamers!

2d gamer

Hello fellow Jaguar fans. Before I get a game, I like to know "what I am in for" in terms of challenge. I am a perfectionist, and I tend to try to beat games on the hardest skill levels. My questions are below:

1. How hard is it to beat "Wolfenstein" on the hardest skill level? Has anyone done this?

2. How hard is it to beat all 100 levels in Tempest? From what I understand, you can only save 4 times.

3. How hard is it to beat Cannon Fodder? Has anyone done this?

Thanks for your time,

2d Gamer

Hello fellow Jaguar fans. Before I get a game, I like to know "what I am in for" in terms of challenge. I am a perfectionist, and I tend to try to beat games on the hardest skill levels. My questions are below:

1. How hard is it to beat "Wolfenstein" on the hardest skill level? Has anyone done this?

Harder than I can fathom. Someone likely has, other than myself.

2. How hard is it to beat all 100 levels in Tempest? From what I understand, you can only save 4 times.

For me, impossible. I have never come across a save feature in Tempest.

3. How hard is it to beat Cannon Fodder? Has anyone done this?

Tried to beat cannon fodder, failed miserably. Wound up a POW in some god-forsaken jungle hell hole.

Thanks for your time,

You are very welcome, anytime.

2d Gamer

• Like 2

Thanks all for your feedback. It sounds like these titles are pretty tough. I am also curious about how hard it is to beat "Alien vs. Predator" on all three modes.

If you don't buy it I think you'll find it impossibly difficult, which might be just about the right level for you.

Wolfenstein 3D isn't that hard if you are careful. The enemies do move extremely quickly though. Just be on your game.

Tempest 2000 is very, very difficult once you reach level 63 or so. I hear it tapers a bit after the 60's, but it's been years since I've managed that. I completed the full game several times back in the day, but again, haven't done it recently. For a greater challenge, you unlock "Beastly Mode" when you beat the game. This allows you to play through the game again but your bullets fire much slower and it makes things a lot more challenging.

I guess Zool2 you might like. That game is frigging hard. Rayman, hard. I think Zool2 is harder though.

Zool 2 is only "hard" because of shitty level design and awful hit detection. Probably not the kind of challenge the OP is looking for.

i recently beat wolfenstein on the difficulty level one step below the hardest. It got pretty nuts in the final levels. I read that because of memory limitations, several of the console ports, including the jaguar, don't have animation frames and ai for the enemies to show their backs or sides to you. That means as soon as you walk into a room with 10 soldiers, they instantly see you and start shooting at you. This gets trickier in the final stages when you have the mutants who deal a lot of damage per shot, and the white ss guards who shoot very quickly. It is not uncommon to walk into a room, and have multiple enemies instantly start shooting at you from both sides of the door (think of a "T" and you enter in the middle).

What ends up happening is that it is simply impossible to run into the room with guns blazing and take everything out without sustaining too much damage to recover from (you run in and quickly kill 4 enemies on one side, meanwhile 4 enemies are shooting your back and dealing you a lot of damage and there's nothing you can do about it). As a result, the only strategy is to open the door to a room, quickly dart in and then immediately back up. The door closes, and the enemies run to the door, open it, and typically come in one after the other, thereby coming through in a manageable bottleneck for you to kill without sustaining tons of damage.

I am certain that strategy is the only way to beat the later levels on harder difficulties. Unfortunately, it isn't anywhere near as fun as running around with guns blazing, and isn't that much of a clever elaborate strategy ;)

Another thing is that you will be re-loading your saved games any time you die in the later stages. When you die, the game makes you start the level with nothing but a pistol and 10 ammunition. Not every level has the advanced weapons in it, and it becomes an impossibility to successfully beat the hordes of enemies present even at the beginning of levels, armed only with a pistol at the start of a level.

I definitely recommend wolfenstein for the pick-up-and-play fun factor though, definitely a worthwhile game to have on the jag.

Edited by sirlynxalot

Thanks for the info gentlemen. It's appreciated.

By the way, has anyone beaten "Alien vs. Predator" with all three characters? How hard is it to do this?

It's ok... back in the day it was more 'scary' than anything. I mean REAL SCARY. Back then when we'd play it my heart would pound. It does not do that to me anymore and no game does that to me now but AvP on the Jaguar was the scariest game I have ever played. Ever. Especially in the dark... alone.

I have beaten all 3 campaigns. It's more planning than anything. Mapping out which was fun. Some people hate mapping and you can find the maps now online. Blech. pussies.

• Like 2

It's ok... back in the day it was more 'scary' than anything. I mean REAL SCARY. Back then when we'd play it my heart would pound. It does not do that to me anymore and no game does that to me now but AvP on the Jaguar was the scariest game I have ever played. Ever. Especially in the dark... alone.

I have beaten all 3 campaigns. It's more planning than anything. Mapping out which was fun. Some people hate mapping and you can find the maps now online. Blech. pussies.

Hmmm...I always just used the auto-mapping feature of the HUD and the maps available at the computer terminals to get around and was able to complete all three campaigns.

AVP difficulty is a mixed bag. The Terminator campaign is fairly easy, the Alien campaign challenging, with the Marine campaign being the hardest, but still very doable.

Wolfenstein is hard on the hardest setting, but still very doable.

Cannon Fodder and T2k are extremely hard to beat.

How do I unlock the Terminator?:)

I always thought the alien campaign to be the most difficult with all the dying and backtracking and dying again, finding the way again...

I did get through T2K but Cannon Fodder seems impossible at a certain point and I lost the will to try.

Edited by PeterG
  • Like 1

The Terminator campaign is fairly easy

Whoa there is a Terminator mode in AVP? How do I unlock that? Other modes I would like to be able to unlock if you don't mind passing along the details.

-Robocop Mode

-Judge Dredd Mode

-Rambo Mode

-Running Man Mode

-Snake Pliskin Mode

-Jaws Mode

-James Bond Mode

-Ivan Drago from Rocky IV Mode

-Depeche Mode

-Modal Primitivism

-Mode Mode

Edited by travistouchdown

Whoa there is a Terminator mode in AVP? How do I unlock that? Other modes I would like to be able to unlock if you don't mind passing along the details.

-Robocop Mode

-Judge Dredd Mode

-Rambo Mode

-Running Man Mode

-Snake Pliskin Mode

-Jaws Mode

-James Bond Mode

-Ivan Drago from Rocky IV Mode

You forgot Depeche Mode

• Like 5