IGNORED

TiDisk-Manager

HackMac

I think TIImagetool also does not support reading from/writing to CF cards directly?

Reading yes, writing only in Linux at this time. You can find the feature in "File->Open device".

The problem with writing - last time I tried, at least - that despite starting TIImageTool on Java as Administrator, and being able to read it, Windows denies writing. Under Linux, when you have permissions to write to the CF card, it will allow you to do so.

I tried reading /dev/disk2 (my CF cart) on my Mac and even that gave a permission problem when launching the app via the UI (btw, thank you for making the Metal Look & Feel standard, the app works much better than v1.5 now that there's no compatibility issues with the native file dialogs). The error message was a bit confusing, so I didn't push on ("File not found: permission denied" or something along those lines), but reading your message it probably is just a matter of running tiimagetool as root.

Ok, now I understand, your needs.

It is not the task of a program (like the TiDisk-Manager) to handle different file systems. This is a task for the operation system. So there have to be a kernel extension to extend the OS to handle TI compatible memory devices formatted with the TI file systems.

I thought about such solutions earlier, so it would be nice to mount TI image files directly and I thought about to build some Quick View extensions to view the contents of some specific files directly in the Finder. But those plans could be realized in the future, sometimes.

Yeah, a kernel module or FUSE implementation would absolutely rock! I'd help, but I hate developing for OS X (probably because I'm crap at it, but also because in my very biased personal opinion Xcode is a bloated heap of steaming mammoth poo ;) ).

• Like 2

Yeah, a kernel module or FUSE implementation would absolutely rock! I'd help, but I hate developing for OS X (probably because I'm crap at it, but also because in my very biased personal opinion Xcode is a bloated heap of steaming mammoth poo ;) ).

I remember I once played with that thought as well ... but eventually I dropped it again. My problem is that I don't remember all reasons.

What comes to my mind right now:

• The TI file system differs from PC file systems by having typed files. This can be dealt with using the TIFILES format (which incorporates the important format information), though.
  • While PC file systems can have arbitrarily nested directories, TI file systems for floppies only allow for a single subdirectory level (HFDC, GeneveOS). Also, hard disk file systems on the TI have a maximum path length. I'm not sure what happens when you copy directory trees to the FUSE-mounted TI file system.
  • Legal characters for file names differ between the TI and the PC file systems. I included some magic in TIImageTool to convert file names. For such an inclusion in the file management, a safe strategy must be found.
  • There are programs on the TI that depend on the meta-information of the disk, in particular when accessing sectors directly. While not impossible, this would require to manage a separate meta-information file.

Well, but I don't want to discourage anyone here. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, today I release the version 2.7.20 for download.

• Improvement: In the listing of the Disassembler Editor, the line comments are now listed in a new column and you can modify them directly.
  • New feature: The tool tip now shows additional informations about a specific instruction:
    1. clock cycle counts and timings
    2. manipulated or tested status flags
  • You can modify the cycle calculating by toggling the CPU in native mod (where memory and registers are 16 bit) or if no native mode is selected, you can configure the registers are in 16 bit (like in the scratchpad RAM)
  • Fix issue for TIFILES header witch contains file names containing '\0' characters.
  • Fix bug on opening missing files on startup.
  • Fix issue with missing files, so that those files are not shown in the disk image table view.
  • and other smaller fixes
  • Eyecandy: Exported TIFILES encoded files have their own finder icon

If you want to know more details of all releases, see my release page.

By the way: Who of you are using the Disassembler feature?

Enjoy!

No, you get me wrong. I'd give you the permission to use mine as you like.

A french like a german version are interesting but my code is relatively dirty, because I don't lean on to apples guide lines (sometimes I use to hard code text for the UI into the source directly), so it will need some work for a clean and complete translation. But I'm open for this idea.

Edited by HackMac

I can help you to translate your excellent tool in the way you want (translate a language file you'll send to me or modify sources, etc. )
I discovered a hidden Expert Mode in the tool, that's cool :)

Of course my proposition applies to all TI-99 tool for which its developer is interested by a French version !

Here is an appeal to all TI-Disk Manager users.

How you could read, I'm starting internationalizing this tool. Fabrice inspired me to do this, so there will be a German and a French version available soon.

Now I like to translate my Manager into other languages. Therefore I need your help. Everyone who have a good mind to do some translations are welcome! Perhaps you, TheMole can translate a Belgium version, you are also familiar to Apples Xcode tool. I know you hate it, but it can't be too bad. (No, stop I don't wanna discuss (dis-)advantages of different IDEs)

I am delighted for lively interest!

• Like 2

• Improvement: In the listing of the Disassembler Editor, the line comments are now listed in a new column and you can modify them directly.
  • New feature: The tool tip now shows additional informations about a specific instruction:
  • You can modify the cycle calculating by toggling the CPU in native mod (where memory and registers are 16 bit) or if no native mode is selected, you can configure the registers are in 16 bit (like in the scratchpad RAM)
  • Fix issue for TIFILES header witch contains file names containing '\0' characters.
  • Fix issue with missing files, so that those files are not shown in the disk image table view.

Enjoy!

any pictures we could see of this new file manager?

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoy!

I've been totally waiting for a native Mac app!!!

However, I can't use this because I'm not running 10.9 or newer OS-X. :?

Is there ANY possibility you (or me) could recompile this so it'll work with Mt. Lion? I just can't stand where Apple has gone with the newer OS's and refuse to upgrade until they get their head out of their a$$'s (which very well may be never). Last good Mac OS-X was Snow Leopard unfortunately its planned obsolescence renders that path into the ground.

Sigh, stuck to Parallels VM and XP and TI-DIR (Fred Kaal's app rocks - don't get me wrong).

Regardless, thanks for your contribution!

Cheers!

-Dano

Hey Dano!

Did you try to run TI-Disk Manager with Lion? Perhaps it will run. I don't have an eye on it, if I use toolbox/framework functions for newer OS'es. My Xcode Installations had only OS X 10.9++

I can try to install the 10.8 libraries on my 10.10 and try to recompile. If it takes to much time to get the application run with 10.8, I will think about what we can do. But I can't get why you don't update to 10.10. And one can I say for sure: I won't support deprecated OS'es for long.

For more, please leave a private message and we get in contact.

Thanks.

Okay, I understand. But it is not very helpful (the behavior, not your answer) when I wish to update the very first post, so this central location is up to date every time. By the way I‘m not a "subscriber", I'm the "topic starter"... :?

BUT! What is with the ti-994a-development-resources thread???

Posted Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:35 PM

and

Edited by retroclouds, Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:25 PM.

Is there ANY possibility you (or me) could recompile this so it'll work with Mt. Lion?

Okay, I spend a whole day (no, not only an afternoon) to build my tool against the SDK 10.8.

With the next release (witch I'll provide soon, when translation to French is completed) TI-Disk Manager should be runnable on Mac OS X 10.8 and newer.

I can't make any promises that future releases still supports outdates OS'es. New IDE's came without support for them (Xcode 6.3.x only supports 10.9 and 10.10). I had to twiddle with Xcode and I had luck, that someone collects old SDK's and provide them for download on github. And who knows what Xcode 7 does (or does not)...

P.S.

It would really be nice if I could edit the first post of this thread to update the features, and requirements.

• Like 1

I actually plan versions for future releases of TI-Disk Manager and you can help me to decide the priority/urgency of a specific feature:

I would implement the SerialBridge protocol to have the possibility to connect MESS (witch I use to simulate the TI) with a TI using a Mac with a native application program. (Obligatory requirement for that is having a USB to serial controller/dongle and according to that an installed driver.) But I like to realize this feature later, together with other features witch uses a serial connection to a TI too. So a change in the major version number can be made.

My needs for this feature is actually not very urgent, because my TI system is still deactivated. So I would plan this feature for the major version release change after the next major release (witch will be released in thousands of years) because I will need some more time to (re-)activate my TI system to test all that features witch deals with the serial interface (and of cause by the reason that I implement all that many features all alone).

The next major release will have a rework of disk image and TI files representation internally and there will be more options to handle TI files in a more flexible way.

The actual major release will have further more (two, three or four) updates.

So, what are your opinions to that SerialBridge feature?

• Like 1