IGNORED

Earthworm Jim on Jaguar:question was asked, answer was given :-)

Lost Dragon

In a similar vien to myself getting others to Tweet Jeff Minter over claims of Ultra Star Raiders on Lynx, my friend Crusto to quiz Jez San on issue of Jag CD Creature Shock, i had my good friend Greyfox ask Dave Perry a few questions (Dan Dare/Sacrifice /Messiah etc as big fans of those or wanted answer on lost version of..) i also had him ask THIS:

Greyfox

Talking of Lost Games, Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 often crop up by self acclaimed Jaguar experts, Were you aware of Atari or any 3rd party licensing EWJ to the Jaguar platform?.

Dave

Yes, Interplay did a bunch of licensing of Earthworm Jim. There’s a bunch of different versions but the originally team wasn’t involved.

So, based on this, do we assume game was at least Licensed to Jaguar?. I recal PS1 getting EWJ, but it was a pretty much straight port and 'slamned' by the PS press at the time for it.

Had hoped for a bit more insight, but some info is better than none :-)

• Like 2

Really could do with an updated 'Lost Jaguar Games' Thread for crumbs like this, extra voices like Nic's regarding Creature shock etc, so all the 'fresh' info can go in, people can make up their own minds.

I hope to be able to bring something Magic Carpet related in a few weeks, let alone few other key games that crop up in these discussions.
Questions are out with 'right people'...now i wait.

Dave was also working on the Konix Multi-System (name changed as i know site in question gets 'mixed feelings on here :-) )

Did you ever start working on games for the Konix Multisystem?

Dave

Yes, we were working on it. I still have a case in my garage, I loved the idea that it could have a steering wheel, handlebars, flight yoke etc. It was cool, but I think they went off the deep end when they invested into moving chairs etc.

Very true.I've kinda 'read' Dave's answer as saying the licensce deal covered the rights to produce conversions of EWJ to a number of platforms, the Jaguar being included in that deal, but he (understandably) has no idea if anything was ever started on the Jaguar version, he's only aware of the completed conversions, ie Playstation.

Pity his answers are vague in places, it's fantastic to hear he was working on the Konix, but which games and how they'd of used the hardware, i'd loved of known.More 256 colour ports or specific content/features?.

• 3 weeks later...

I once spoke to a guy at the ejagfest, who said he actually worked on a JagCD conversion of EWJ (PC) back then. He was converting the videos to the JagCD format and so on.

I'm not sure which developer he worked for, or which publisher would have published it, but it was done in germany. I assume at or for funsoft/softgold/rushware because they were the german (maybe also european) distributor for the Jaguar since early 1995.

• Like 2

Sweet!!!.Sounds like a straight 'port' (as expected) and interestuing again to hear that the Cinematics were 1st to be converted, as they were a la Demolition Man from 3DO.I assume these were the most straight forward things to convert? just change to a video format Jaguar CD could read or something?.

It's fantastic to hear snippets like this from people direct from the source, ie either spoken to in person or via a form of interview, rather than going off what was printed elsewhere and taking it on blind faith.

Ill share this info with Lost game sites i help with (Unseen64+GTW) as i'm sure they'll be delighted.This along with RVG's Dave Perry Interview are 2 fantastic pieces of the puzzle and huge thanks for sharing the info.

Glad I was able to help. The same guy told be btw. that they also had a conversion of "aero the acrobat" or "zero the kamikaze" in production (I'm not sure which one). This points also in the direction of "Sunsoft" because they are connected with this brand. Sundoft/Softgold/Rushware later became THQ (Europe), I think THQ just bought them and formed THQ Europe.

• Like 2

Your information is most warmly recieved.Sites like Unseen64/GTW etc are eternally grateful to you and countless others for sharing freely,information you have and the sources involved (which is essential for the credibility aspect).

None of us are going around saying, not blowing my own trumpet, but we are considered the foremost experts on, we are all just giving of our spare time to try and find out what happened to a wealth of games on a huge selection of formats.

So much has sadly been lost already, it's fantastic when people like yourself step forward with gems like this.

The community, working together is how it should be.

• Like 1

It's fantastic to hear snippets like this from people direct from the source, ie either spoken to in person or via a form of interview, rather than going off what was printed elsewhere and taking it on blind faith.

Umm. This is still 'blind faith' nothing above is documented or authenticated. If you don't site a confirmable source it's all pure here say.

'This guy on the internet said this other guy once told him sometime'.

Quick, send it to RetroGamer for publication!!!!!! :)

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 2

Ahhhh, but then what has been documented/confirmed by sources in the past is often just as prone to mishap, System 3 telling people ST Myth was finished and released, Jez San now no idea on what he did or did'nt do with Creature Shock, other than it was his 1st CD game, Ste Pickford telling 2 different versions of events over a C64 game etc etc...

Gasp, are you suggesting the UK Media lies about what it documents? Sir, how dare you, they are paid good money for great, in-depth research, why look at Edge's essential hardware guide 2000 if proof were needed, How it works, Dreamcast, where they look at issue of wether it's a 'true' 128 Bit machine:

'While far from Atari's Jaguar claims (by which it added 4 16 Bit chips together to make, er 64 Bits).....'

See you cannot fault that level of proof

Next you'll be suggesting THAT Carmack interview where he talks of Jaguar Quake, that no-one can recal where or when was published, should'nt be taken as evidence...

:-)

RG won awards and everyfing, Edge is like as it says The Industry Bible, again award winner, these publications use only the finest Freelancers, next you'll be implying they have people write historical articles based on hardware they never owned at the time in the UK, use youtube as a research tool, airbrush screenshots, get people to write flame-bait articles on a popular at the time UK Football game and wait for it all to 'kick-off'....

These tin foil hats of mine don't make themselves, don't you know.

There've been 'Official' and everyfing magazine articles, written by like, proper jurnolists in the Retro community based on claims of people they spoke to, no, honestly they did and if you dare Tweet them to confirm that? you iz a very nasty man...

Dear BBC, i wish to complain about your lack of Atari Jaguar coverage...EVER...

Nurse, the screens!!!!!

:-)

But then again as a 'great' man once said, i'm not right in the head, everything i write is utter nonsense....

@BMX, from my experience in getting info from sources:If it goes again'st the grain of so-called experts out there (Disclaimer:NOT on A.A), you'll be told they never said that, it proves nothing, their memory is hazy etc etc..The internet demmands you get the source to confess, sign in his own blood, swear on his/her 1st born, under go a lie detector test...have at least 5, seperate unbiased, witnesses etc...and all this just for a game that was either a straight port or a bit shit to start with :-)

If you go looking into things like Quake or Tomb Raider....Turn Back MAN, TURN BACK!!!!!!!! :-)
On a far more serious note, anything you can add, credibility wise would be great.Unseen64 etc been 'stung' before with the window licking brigade creating stories about Croc 3 etc, good job the Lynx/Jaguar community has been spared any false claims over the years, cough.....(battles to keep straight face...)....

@BMX, from my experience in getting info from sources:If it goes again'st the grain of so-called experts out there (Disclaimer:NOT on A.A), you'll be told they never said that, it proves nothing, their memory is hazy etc etc..The internet demmands you get the source to confess, sign in his own blood, swear on his/her 1st born, under go a lie detector test...have at least 5, seperate unbiased, witnesses etc...and all this just for a game that was either a straight port or a bit shit to start with :-)

You started these interviews to clear up false claims made by others on the internet.

If you aren't going to back them up with confirmed sources, you are no better than the errors you set out to correct.

Your partly correct.

I started these interviews for content for ST Gamer, as did'nt want to do reviews or help with other suggested articles.From there i branched out into looking into various claims made on internet and in UK Press etc.
Even when i presented the information i had obtained i was faced with comments like:Why should we believe what you post (and that was on here) and even after MODS checked my I.P details in early days some people refused to believe i was'nt a previousily banned memember, so does that not make this forum as bad as...in that respect?.
Plus even when i've taken time to track down people who have answered a question or series of questions, i've been told, i needed to find multiple sources as by going off a single source is'nt credible as they might have an agenda....
I've then had people approach me asking for 'My Contacts' so they can interview them for thier sites, or want things from them etc etc

If you find me doing these interviews for Paid For Work, making up claims i've spoken to...and they said they'd worked on Game X on Platform Y, or telling lies during Skype interviews or passing myself off as a jurnolist, then please, lump me into the same camp as 'others'.

What you'll find i have done is put a lot of time+effort into looking into claims..period, not giving a damn who said them or where and getting in touch with people no-one else seems to have thought of trying in the past.

I've helped with:ST Gamer, Unseen 64, AVP Galax. , GTW, Classic Console Magazine, Pro-Atari, 3DO Forum, Sega Forum, G.O.G, Return etc etc....

Paid good money to have material i was sat on scanned and put up here for FREE, yet i paid £60 to get those Edge scans etc done, for the community...

So yeah, i'm going to take a degree of offence here that your even suggesting i'm in same camp as those that have created, for whatever reason, miss-leading information over the years, be it here, Unseen64 or where ever.

I'm not saying any of that, I'm saying you have to hold your own information to the same level (or lack of) of integrity as that which you are disputing.

You can't one minute say 'oh this was written here and is obviously bullshit and I've meticulously tracked down the information and proved it wrong' (that's a GoodThing) and then in the next minute say 'some bloke on a forum told me he spoke to someone he can't remember at a party and they said this' (that's a NotGoodThing) - which is what you did above ;)

It's good that you've helped with all you've said above, but I don't see what any of that has to do with this. You helping out someone doesn't validate a point made by someone else!

Edited by CyranoJ

There's what? 18 interviews i've done alone on THIS Link:

Plus it includes link to the COMMUNITY RVG interviews i took part in and tried to get answers to ATARI related questions...
Then you've the 6 so far Exclusive interviews i've done for Classic Console Magazine, the 4 for ST Gamer Vol 1+2.
I've 11 sets of interviews/questions still out yet to come in...
So please do NOT question me over going after sources to back up claims.
BMX has said he's going to look into the matter and i made it CLEAR to Unseen64/GTW this was a POST from an AA User, and it should be reported as such.

Sorry CJ, but you seem to have assumed i'd run to GTW/UNseen 64 saying, Look, here's PROOF EWJ was being converted to Jaguar CD, which, you should realise by now given my history (good or bad) is simply NOT how i work...

I simply copied BMX's post, forwarded it onto both sites, saying this has come up, it suggests there might have been work started, opens up a possible future source to track down.

That's the way we work on these sites, a lead is found, sources attempted to be tracked down and claims confirmed.We are busy with several Atari related projects which are months off and reason they are so far off is we are waiting for answers to come back in, trying to get multiple sources and viewpoints on each aspect of the subjects in question.

This needs to be said:

Yes i am grateful to BMX in coming forward as others have done with information he has, it gives us another lead to follow up, no matter how small it might be.

If it's a dead end, so be it, it won't be the 1st will it? i wasted time chasing up claims of Minter having worked on Ultra Star Raiders on Lynx, a supposed Ninja Sega Saturn coder who despite EDGE's claims, had never touched the bloody thing, so had to re-write entire interview, numerous hours looking into screens of Tomb Raider Edge knew were false and besides, i've still yet to see any proof of claims made that Carmack ever spoke of Quake running on Jaguar, yet there are plenty who say they can remember it, ok fine..just suggest where i might start looking for it?

We tend to take the honest route where possible on Unseen64/GTW present info as it's given, let folks make their own minds up.BMX has given us another avenue, glimmer of hope and there's no reason not to thank him for it.

I don't 'know' BMX any better or worse than i do 95% of people on this forum, but i'm not aware of any 'history' of him making false claims, so of course we'll welcome this glimmer of hope and hope he can find more to add credibility to it, until more conmes to light, it'll be reported as just what it is, a post on a forum, just as the chap who said he worked at Virgin, worked on Dragon etc, knew FMV from 3DO version of Demolition Man was converted to Jag CD.We added that to answer given by 3DO Demolition Man Coder, who had no idea of any Jaguar conversions of the game on the RVG Community interview.

Sadly yes we have had to look into all past expert claims made on various Lost Jaguar Game threads across multiple websites online, as you cannot afford to risk missing a diamond in amongst the rough.

Until RVG interviewed Dave Perry, did anyone really know he'd worked on the Konix? that came about due to various communities helping each other other, sharing info and resources.

Mark, Greyfox, so many others ask their sources questions on my behalf, related to the Atari formats, i in return do the same for likes of the Konix, ZX Spectrum, NUON, C64 etc....

That's what helping others has to do with it, we work as a community, not for personal gain, be it fame or fortune.We've all very real life jobs, families etc.

Sheer time involved means we need people to come forward with what ever they can, it's just some of the shite we're hit with that ohh that's nice dear, but it's not enough..find more sources...hello? it's been 20 years plus, people passed on/moved away, memory very different to what it was 20 years ago...get real.

I mean jeez, you cannot even link to an RVG interview on here sometimes..

It's NOT the same forum it was say 12 months ago people....