IGNORED

Brag worthy deals?

magmon51

I remember that Remo - that's how I got my copies of Zoop, Ruiner Pinball ($6 each) and a few extra jag controllers. ($6 each). Electronics Boutique also had Jag stuff for a hot minute and I recall I found a few games like Highlander ($20) around 00:58 or so ;-)

I got my Jag console towards the end (95-96) when my local PC vendor was selling the combo liquidation sets that had Iron Soldier, Pitfall 2 and Brutal Sports Football with the basic Jag box for IIRC $99. It was probably a run of the same sets they were selling on TV infomercials.

Edited by DrMalba

I always try to wait until I can get below the typical price of jag games/equipment when I buy them. It helps me space out the expense and the enjoyment of getting and focusing on one or two things at a time. That being said, now that it's 2015, I feel that a lot of the games are at a price point where even if I can manage 5 or $10 less than normal, it still doesn't feel like a "deal" to me, especially when ports of that game on other more mainstream 16 or 32 bit systems go frequently for under $10 (Rayman, Doom, cannon fodder, raiden, flashback, etc). Recently, I bought the Jaguar CD unit for about $120. I guess that's a deal in terms of buying them elsewhere, but my personal opinion is that $120 is still a lot when you consider what that could buy you in (for instance) sega console hardware.

My one real deal, was when I spent $20 to buy my first jaguar from a kid in highschool circa 2002 with one controller. I didn't appreciate it at the time and later wound up selling it - only to spend $70+ to buy a jag and 2 controllers 12 years later.

Edited by sirlynxalot

I've pretty much given up on Jaguar collecting. I have most anything that is relatively common, and a few Songbird and Telegames releases. I managed to buy a Battlesphere Classic years ago, and I pick up the occasional new release.

The last real 'deal' I got was picking up a loose Zero5 cart a couple of years ago for $40 - and I don't think it's even that great of a game!

...especially when ports of that game on other more mainstream 16 or 32 bit systems go frequently for under $10 (Rayman, Doom, cannon fodder, raiden, flashback, etc). Recently, I bought the Jaguar CD unit for about $120. I guess that's a deal in terms of buying them elsewhere, but my personal opinion is that $120 is still a lot when you consider what that could buy you in (for instance) sega console hardware.

This is all glorious, rational and objective logic.

Please... do not lose sight of it vs the price of Jaguar games :D

• Like 3

Every time I see a topic on Jaguar deals I always think back to when KB Toys had shelves and shelves of Jaguar stuff at give away prices. Really should have bought a truckload then... :D

Yep, when I think to "deals" I've gotten on Jag systems and games, I think back to those days exactly as well.

Best deal I got was a CIB minty Jag CD player for £25 at a boot sale. Picked up plenty of other goodies from the same seller including an Atari 400 Popeye prototype cartridge. This was from one of the biggest sales in the North West (Bowlers, Manchester) and was either the 2nd or 3rd I'd been to that day - no idea why it was still all there, the usual faces must all have had a big night out and a lie in or something.

Yep, when I think to "deals" I've gotten on Jag systems and games, I think back to those days exactly as well.

We had a similar thing at Game in the UK. But I'd had my fill of Jaguar by then, already bought everything that seemed interesting, and went for their Lynx stuff instead.

Edited by sh3-rg

Someone said that the prices on Jaguar will drop, I don't believe that at all! They seem to go up, a lot. The "good deals" might become more seldom.

To start with I'm a Neo Geo aes collector that bought what I intended to play, I didn't *collect*, that is impossible on the aes, it's too expensive and also impossible. And I'm finished on that system. Cartridge, THAT is quality in it self to me. You still can get new unopened games with no load time, and it is retro.

Jaguar got my interest at the very moment I understood it is cartridge (yeah the cd add-on must have stuck to my memory bank).

Since my short time as an collector of games I play on the Jag, I'm still in the phase of enjoying to break up seals. I belong to that new breed, lets call us hipsters. Therefore I have to open my wallet and buy my way into this cool retro club. You guys, collectors from the dino dude era, real hard-core Atari-soldiers, must agree that the prices aren't dropping, and there will probably be less opportunities for good deals in the future. Especially with more hipsters moving on to new overlooked systems as Jag.

The Angry video game nerd raging against Jaguar might be counterproductive with 3 million viewings! All commercial is good commercial right? He helped me wanting to prove him wrong...

So buy that last cart you may want, before the prices go up even more. (But then again it might be two different stories in America and Europe. You seem to be able to pick up Atari games at flee-markets. In Sweden/EU there is 0% chance that would happen.) Make that last bargain.

Missile Command 3D for $28 ;-)

I got my Missile command for about 50$ new and sealed, and it is the closest to a bargain I get. Love the game: the bosses are all great, but the human voice screaming eel is best. Also the dragon is fun. When you kill it it drops right down through the clouds as it all of a sudden turned into lead LOL

also got aikman football for 15$, i know it is considered shit, well it's not, you can advance with running game and that alone makes it a great american football game!! play some games for relaxation every now and then = bargain.

Since my short time as an collector of games I play on the Jag, I'm still in the phase of enjoying to break up seals. I belong to that new breed, lets call us hipsters. Therefore I have to open my wallet and buy my way into this cool retro club. You guys, collectors from the dino dude era, real hard-core Atari-soldiers, must agree that the prices aren't dropping, and there will probably be less opportunities for good deals in the future. Especially with more hipsters moving on to new overlooked systems as Jag.

The Angry video game nerd raging against Jaguar might be counterproductive with 3 million viewings! All commercial is good commercial right? He helped me wanting to prove him wrong...

This is a very candid statement. Not used to people just saying it like it is. Appreciate the honesty!

I snagged a Jag with a CD-Rom unit for less than $30 off of the bay, less than 5 minutes after it was posted. I'm not sure how good of a deal it was as they came with "A/C adapters only" and both A/C adapters were third party with the wrong polarity lol. The Jaguar itself won't power on but the CD Rom powers up with any other Jaguar but doesn't read discs. Gonna order a new laser for it and see how good of a deal I really got.

Edited by AtariBorn

I snagged a Jag with a CD-Rom unit for less than $30 off of the bay, less than 5 minutes after it was posted. I'm not sure how good of a deal it was as they came with "A/C adapters only" and both A/C adapters were third party with the wrong polarity lol. The Jaguar itself won't power on but the CD Rom powers up with any other Jaguar but doesn't read discs. Gonna order a new laser for it and see how good of a deal I really got.

It's possibly the voltage regulator on the Jag that is hosed. There are some threads on here about it.