IGNORED

Ball Knob Group Order

KevinMos3

Medium length screws on the FB knobs for me, please. :)

As far as CV knobs, I use 1/4" - 20 X 1" (course thread) hex head bolts and hack off the head.

Hollow out existing plastic 'nub' and fit bolt through the bottom and epoxy it in the base. I leave about 1/2" of thread sticking out of the plastic base to fully thread the knob onto the bolt until it bottoms out. Hope this helps ;)

I got everyone's knobs weighed yesterday. This weekend is going to be very busy, but I hope to get the quotes to everyone today and tomorrow so that I can get these mailed out on Monday. I have Monday and Tuesday off, so I should be able to get them all mailed out at least by then. I'll keep you posted if anything pops up that would prevent this.

Everyone's packages came out really cheap. The post office told me that it would be even less if I do online postage, so I'll try that and see if I can save ya'll even more. The only exception was the international order but even that one was pretty reasonable.

• Like 4

Everyone's quotes have been sent out. I'm really pleased with how much we ended up saving one another by doing the group order. It was pretty significant for everyone.

Kevin, I may have missed this -- and sorry if I did -- but what's the exact process for replacing the knobs on the Colecovision Flashback controllers? Do we open the screws up on the back of the controller or is there another way to do it?

Do we open the screws up on the back of the controller or is there another way to do it?

You shouldn't have to open your FB controllers at all, unless you want to put the foam tape inside to add resistance. I'm thinking a lot of people will probably want extra resistance, but some may be happy without it.

The thumb nubs just pull straight out and the new knobs will screw in. You'll have to carefully get the bolt started so it goes in straight, but it's pretty easy with these threads.

You shouldn't have to open your FB controllers at all, unless you want to put the foam tape inside to add resistance. I'm thinking a lot of people will probably want extra resistance, but some may be happy without it.

The thumb nubs just pull straight out and the new knobs will screw in. You'll have to carefully get the bolt started so it goes in straight, but it's pretty easy with these threads.

Okay, what kind of foam tape? Is it hard to install in, is there a guide somewhere for that? You're talking to someone seriously challenged at doing even the slightest repairs. ;)

all parts I think are shown in pic 4 screws on back there are tabs on bottom of controller you need to un-hinge

inside you only need to slide button PCB's out of slots

the main circuit board you only need to remove ONE screw in upper corner ( other 4 screws hold keypad in place)

Some double sided tape I found at Wal-Mart ... was over in the hardware section although in the craft section were rolls of 3-M Brand

there is backing on both sides (not sure about the roll) , I simply left the backing on the actuator side

http://www.walmart.c...Strips/36613125

9kaKCNd.jpg

I think 3/16" x 1/4" sized squares installed on the corners of the circle NOT to interfere with the cup that the actuator sits in ( you can quote me on that if you liek) the thickness of the material is shown down by the number-pad & measures 1/16" thick .... ( it has to be thin )

lo0HInL.jpg

the double sided tape is squishy but not porous like the pink material you used (as shown here) http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224996-colecovision-flashback-system/?p=3172955

the porous material breaks down rather quickly during play & you don't really notice it until next day or so

with the tape in there the weight of the ball doesn't affect it's returning to center

Edited by chas10e

the double sided tape is squishy but not porous like the pink material you used (as shown here) http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224996-colecovision-flashback-system/?p=3172955

Yeah, I said in that post that it was just a temporary solution and in a later post (or maybe it was a pm) I described using foam tape, where I removed the glue from one side and left it on the other. That seemed to work fine, but I ended up removing it and going with some thin weather stripping. The jury's still out on it though, and I'm not sure what I'll eventually settle on using, or if I'll end up keeping any padding in there at all.

I wanted to give everyone a status update.

Some packages have already gone out, but some are still in the works. My fiance flew in for her spring break last week, which affected the time available to completing this project. I still spent time working on preparing the packages, but preparing the Flashback knobs ended up taking WAY more time than I expected. I severely underestimated how long it would take me to prep the 30 Flashback knobs. I really needed to focus more on wedding planning while she was here, so I couldn't devote all my spare time to the knobs, although I did still work on getting them ready. She's a gamer too, so she's very understanding of my hobby. ;) At this point, I'm ALMOST finished. I only have a couple finishing touches to put on a half dozen or so of them.

*** For everyone who just requested Coleco knobs, your packages have already been mailed out. I didn't want to keep you guys waiting and I take it very seriously since everyone has already sent their reimbursements.

*** For those of you who requested Flashback knobs, I expect to put them in the mail either Wednesday or Thursday. Chances are, it will be Thursday, because Wednesday will be a very busy day at work with no lunch break and not getting off until well after the post office closes. Regardless, the remainder of the packages should go out no later than Thursday.

This is what the packages will look like. Just keeping it simple with bubble mailers. These are the ones that have already gone out, but the rest are already prepared as well and are just waiting on the FB knobs to be finished.

post-9364-0-65644300-1427268777_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Kevin, I'm certainly not concerned, but since my local post office has been messing up in giving me package notice slips recently (for things being held for me at the post office), I wanted to ask....when did the orders for the Flashback knobs go out and what's your best guess on a delivery range? Thanks!

Everyone in the second batch should be getting their packages any day now and hopefully by the end of this week there won't be any more out.

When I last posted on March 25, I expected to to have everything shipped later that week. What I didn't expect was that every day since then has been work from 6:30am (normal time) to at least 8:30pm (not normal time) without even a break for lunch. Yep, it's been that busy and for some of you who know what my line of work is, you can probably guess why. Nevertheless, I was able to get everyone's packages to the post office on Saturday except for two people who had late additions; theirs went out today, now that I'm back to a more reasonable schedule.

I wanted everyone to be pleasantly surprised when they opened their package, but that may not be the best approach, so here's a handful of Flashback knobs so you can see what they look like and know what to expect. I ended up putting a lot more effort into them than I originally intended. I really hope everyone is pleased with them. They've all been pretty accurately measured so that the exposed threads are nearly exact to how deep you can/should thread them into your controller. I'm hesitant to say that they are totally exact, in case there's a tiny bit of difference and I don't want anyone to carelessly thread them too far. You should still thread them carefully, but they should be within less than a millimeter of how deep to go. Of course, if you want them shorter you can always trim them down by cutting, filing, or grinding. I used a tiny bit of threadlocker; the intention being that you may be able to work the bolts loose with enough force if you ever decide to for some reason. I hope that I used enough to keep them from working loose when threading them, but if any do break free, just apply some of your own glue or threadlocker.

post-9364-0-49689100-1428474678_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic of the 2nd batch before they were shipped:

post-9364-0-11182200-1428474723_thumb.jpg

I'll still be posting pictures of installing both the Coleco and Flashback knobs in case anyone has any questions or confusion.

edit: Also, I wanted to be more personal with PMs, but I've just been too slammed. I'm not trying to be rude to anyone, so I'll just say it here for now... To all of you who said something nice in a PM, thank you very much for your trust and support and you're all very welcome. I'm glad I was able to help you all out. I also want to thank everyone for being so prompt with sending the paypal reimbursements. While this ended up being far more effort than I planned for, you all made it as smooth as possible.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 4