IGNORED

Any Raspberry Pi users out there?

scotty

Had this thing for a week or so now. Setting up PiPLay and RetroPi and have to say, I LOVE THIS THING!! Not as easy as a PC to setup, but the price, quality and performance for a pocket sized, go anywhere, light weight, fully equipped emulation power house is amazing!!

I have the B+, and it struggles a little with PS1 and N64, but they do run. The Pi 2 which just came out and is the same price runs them both at full speed.

For $35 for the device, $15 more for a kit... Case, SD card, power supply, HDMI cable etc, and the cost of a Bliss Box (or better yet, a Four Play), you have an amazing classic gaming rig that is the size of a deck of playing cards!!

Oh yeah, this thing runs on the same power supply as your Android phone. 5 Volts!! You can leave it run 24/7!! No noise!! Totally silent!!

• Like 2

I own a B+ and 2. Love the things, but the Pi 2 wins in my opinion as it has a lot better emulation capabilities (N64/PS1 at full speed, some Dreamcast games run at playable to full speed) Raspbian is the prefered OS and I just like to use them for portable emulation machines or to run XMBC and act as a media center.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 1

I own a B+ and 2. Love the things, but the Pi 2 wins in my opinion as it has a lot better emulation capabilities (N64/PS1 at full speed, some Dreamcast games run at playable to full speed) Raspbian is the prefered OS and I just like to use them for portable emulation machines or to run XMBC and act as a media center.

Nice, I was wondering about the pi 2's emulation ability. I know my pi was a little disappointing outside SNES.

• Like 1

I've got 2 Pis now. A model B runs my file server in the basement, and I just picked up a Pi 2 for gaming. It's much faster than the B, and is able to run Hatari at 100% speed (though it has trouble with Falcon emulation, and enabling Blitter slows it down).

I also have an Odroid-C1, which is somewhat comparable in specs to the Pi 2. I'm a bit disappointed with it after using the Raspberry Pis. The Odroid isn't nearly as 'polished' as the Pi, and is very picky when it comes to SD cards and HDMI cables.

I'd really like Daphne emulator to play Dragon's Lair like I did on my Ubuntu machine many years ago.

The emulator creator actually had the Daphne emulator running on the Raspberry Pi A using MJPEG (I believe) and GLES2, but wasn't interested in completing the port and releasing it for free.

Maybe be someone will get it working with Pi2's extra power, although Daphne isn't multi threaded and it really needs some kind of acceleration like GLES2.

Even though my Ubuntu machine was 750MHz playing Dragon's Lair, I'm sure the hardware NVIDIA graphics card did all the laser disc image decoding/playing. You were allowed to download a great copy of Dragon's Lair if you owned the DVD Dragon's Lair game, which I do, and I think that download was an MPEG file.

I use some Pies for XBMC/Kodi also. I was wondering, do you still need to buy a CODEC license for the Pi2 to enable hardware acceleration of CODECs? If so, does their license store also work for Pi2s? If you know that is.

• 1 month later...

Actually still working on setting mine up but have it running 8-bit, 5200, 2600 files/games/carts and it's great! Need to refine some of the colors and keyboard values but for the most part, works great! In the process of copying all my old A-800 floppies over to .atr files using APE and then will move to the RetroPie. Probably be able to fit my entire library (started in 1981) on a thumb drive! :)

Also have my Examiner to copy cartridges - now just need to remember how to use it and what format they are in :)

If anyone has any suggestions on config settings for color/keyboard/joystick (using PS3) layouts, I'd appreciate it.

• Like 1

I use some Pies for XBMC/Kodi also. I was wondering, do you still need to buy a CODEC license for the Pi2 to enable hardware acceleration of CODECs? If so, does their license store also work for Pi2s? If you know that is.

I have a Pi2 and I bought the MPEG2 codec license. Haven't used it yet. Can't help any more than those facts.

By the way, shortly after I posted above about wishing for Dragon's Lair, someone compiled it for the Pi2 and it works great!

It is for Pi2 only as it is using something unique to the A7 . It is also decoding the MPEG2 in software.

I bought a Pi B+ earlier this year. I started to set it up, but discovered at a certain point that a USB KB was needed (which I didn't have). Shortly after all this the Pi 2 was released, and I plan on buying one, and a USB keyboard this time lol.

Edit: oh and I see no point in the Pi B+. The Pi 2 has the B+'s compatibility, and better specs.

Edited by MadZiontist

• 1 month later...

They are pretty nice for some tasks. Small, low power, low cost (though a little more than you think when you start adding a case, PS, etc), zero noise. I have now added a model 2B to my collection. It's performance is greatly increased over the previous.

I have a Pi 2 running the RetroPie distribution. I mostly use it for MAME and 2600 emulation. At my suggestion, one of the devs added 7800 emulation to the installer script as an optional module, since ProSystem is licensed under the GPL. Sadly, ProSystem has problems with a number of ROMS and hasn't been updated in ages. It would be nice if someone would adopt that software and updated it, but that's the nature of free/open source. If I had the coding knowledge I'd do it myself. :(

But anyway, the Pi 2 is great for what it is and what it can do, and to get a fully functioning computer for under $75 out the door (including case, power supply, microSD card and the HDMI to VGA cable I personally needed), I'm very happy.

• Like 1

Mine is actually arriving tomorrow. I know this site has some roms, but I am looking for a place where I can download a complete set of old roms for different systems. Any thoughts?

I don't think any set is ever complete. Oh it may be at a certain point in time, now and then. But new things are always being discovered or even made new - today - as in homebrews.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally do not like raspberry pi. I thought it was cheap way of hooking up a Linux desktop system.

That's absolutely the WORST thing you can use a Pi for. It's underpowered for a responsive, multi-tasking desktop UI-based operating environment.

However, it runs MAME roms (through about the late-80's/early 90's) and most classic game emulators up through 6502- based systems perfectly. It also runs vanilla 68000 systems very well (Atari ST, Genesis).

That's what I use mine for.