IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

This is an excellent post. Anyone who calls Mike a "scammer" or "snake-oil salesman" obviously hasn't been a long-time member of this community. Mike is a good guy. I don't know if the mild success that he's achieved thus far with his other ventures has gone to his head, because he is certainly not conducting himself in a wise manner in this situation. But to call his honesty into question is foolishly over-the-line.

He's made promises for things that are clearly not happening with regards to the RVGS. That's dishonest. If details aren't hammered out, don't make a PR announcement until you've got things in concrete. He originally said SNA3D will be a launch title, when it's clear that wasn't happening. There are more detail today:

The fact that there is no SNES core is a problem at this point as well. We were anticipating having one at some time, but after we had to cut some costs, it wasn't conclusive the higher powered FPGA would be in our system.

His words, not mine.

Hi there. I'm new around here, but I have a YouTube channel, and have been covering the Retro VGS since Gamster 81 announced that on his channel. I want to say some things:

First I'm really greatful for this Project, because before the Retro VGS I dind't know what an FPGA was, much less about it's use as Hardware Emulation, and the existing Projects of that. I also didin't know These Forums here, and I got to this Information after Hearing about the RVGS.

That said, I think both sides of the discussion are sometimes getting a bit personal, or at least sort of not objective on this.

The huge backlash this campaign is getting is not from haters, trolls or misinformed People. Well, actually it is from misinformed People, because they thought they were going to be able to pay 180 Dollars to back a Project of a FPGA based Retro System that could both do Emulation and Play new games of many different architectures. But that was a misinformation, and what they were actually offered was the opportunity to pay 300 Dollars to fund the "best Retro gaming console experience".

I'm sorry to say that, but saying you have faith in the RVGS Team is awful. If a Project is well done you don't Need faith to get behind it, or put you Money in. You'll do it because you add up their Proposition, and think it's good value for you. Wether you have faith or not, wether the involved developers are your friends or not doesn't matter.

The fact even key People in the Project (like Kevin) didn't really understand what was going on at certain Points is very serious. Something like this just can't happen in a Project that's targeting 2mi Dollars. Also John Claims the original Price Point was given before he joined the Project, but he's been aboard for months and only a couple weeks Prior to the campaign going up they inform People about the Price? This are very serious issues. They wasted time hyping up Special transparent cases but couldn't just go back to the community and inform People that Prices were probably going to be higher?

I think Mike knows very well that Hype, visibility and General community perception are actually pretty much what determine the financial success of many products. I think because of that he thought he's only Chance is to go live with the campaign now that things were still warm, so they didin't lose momentum, and they'd figure things out as times go by. The Problem is: who in his right mind donates Money to a Hardware Project that doesn't have Hardware specs descripted? I don't even wrap my mind around this. What are People donating for?

Actually the Thing that bothers me the most about this Project isn't even that. Mike claimed (I think this is still up on their Homepage) they're going to have Special Flash Memory rated for 100 years in the cartridges. That These cartridges are going to be Special, and not like your standart SD Card, or some pen drive. Well, the Indiegogo Project is up and there is no technical Detail about what the cartridges are going to be at all. So they can actually just make a Jaguar shaped sd Card and sell it to People, Claim they made a new revolutionary System, when they basically made nothing at all? Are People even paying Attention to this Project?

I just touched on a couple Points and this post is already too Long. There is so much more that went wrong, like they promised 2 Controllers and 1-3 games packed in for under 200, and with the bump in Price to 350 we still lost a Controller. damn.

The bottom line is what People already said: You can't go live with a Hardware Project as they did. If the Hardware was properly descripted, People would be free to say this is too expensive, but whoever thinks it's worth it pays for it and it's their Problem. If someone thinks it's too expensive they can say that, but if they go say it on RVGS's own media outlets it's normal for them to delete it. whatever. But you can't possibly ask for 2mi Dollars and not even be bothered to say what the Hardware is, when the official Website had a Hardware description ready the day the Project went live on indiegogo.

So there is no going around it. Objectively speaking the Project has Major flaws. Those are being pointed out by the community. A couple trolls will allways jump in, but what bothers the RVGS Team and the fans is the fact they know the so called "haters" are pointint out inconvenient Facts. If someone really can destroy this Project These are the People willing to donate Money to an incomplete campaign based purely on Hype or faith. These People are obviously the misinformed ones. It's pretty evident that the most critical People are Overall the ones with the highest technical knowledge on the matter.

Just to Close: Let's be careful about Name dropping Kevin and Pico, they did Point out something here and there, but there is no Point in putting them in an antagonistic perspective to the rest of the People involved in the Project. They just stated some Points of view and Facts, they never attacked or accused the RVGS Team in any way.

P.S. Just out of curiosity. Has Mike Kennedy actually ever written a line of code? I'd never ever want the Marketing guy to be the lead director of a Hardware Project... Just throwing his own words back at him. Maybe it has some effect?

Edited by leods
  • Like 4

He's made promises for things that are clearly not happening with regards to the RVGS. That's dishonest. If details aren't hammered out, don't make a PR announcement until you've got things in concrete. He originally said SNA3D will be a launch title, when it's clear that wasn't happening. There are more detail today:

His words, not mine.

I would chalk that up to him not having his ducks in a row before launching the campaign, rather than to deliberate dishonesty. The dude is just in over his head.

• Like 3

His words, not mine.

Their campaign is built solely around "just trust us" and some Jaguar tooling.

I don't think someone must be able to put together a console from scratch to ask for some proof. More so when the goalposts keep moving.

• Like 1

Well, actually it is from misinformed People, because they thought they were going to be able to pay 180 Dollars to back a Project of a FPGA based Retro System that could both do Emulation and Play new games of many different architectures.

Just a minor correction, but unless I am mistaken, the project was originally NOT FPGA-based, and did not offer up any kind of emulation. We were paying $150-180 for a system that would play games released for that system, period. The FPGA and the console emulation were all part of the feature-creep that came later.

• Like 1

I would chalk that up to him not having his ducks in a row before launching the campaign, rather than to deliberate dishonesty. The dude is just in over his head.

I agree. I don't think he's purposely lying to us, I just think they have absolutely no idea what they're doing and in an attempt to drum up as much PR as possible, they announce things that they haven't (and likely will not) implement nor have the proper agreements in place to do so. If I was a casual FB user, I would still be under the impression that the cart adapters for classic systems are still a thing. They made a huge announcement about that and then just deleted it when it all fell apart. While not being purposely dishonest, as it seemed they were in some level of talks with kevtris regarding his cores, it's also no way to build consumer confidence.

• Like 1

Just a minor correction, but unless I am mistaken, the project was originally NOT FPGA-based, and did not offer up any kind of emulation. We were paying $150-180 for a system that would play games released for that system, period. The FPGA and the console emulation were all part of the feature-creep that came later.

Page 3: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/?p=3219164

Did they really call Kevtris a "fly-by-night game hobbyist"? These guys need to be schooled.

A "fly by night game hobbyist" is some poser with a Retron5 and a handfull of game carts he overpaid on eBay, sitting in his moma's basement playing games at 3 or 4 am playing them because he has no job, who still thinks he's cool and all that because he's doing it retro.

Kevtris is not one of those. Kevtris is a genius and I'll support him before RetroVGS! :D

I guess their advertising on Craigslist now:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/vgm/5231582589.html

That's pretty low brow. They are desperate if they're going to Crags to solicit backers... :ponder:

Maybe you are right, but the first Podcast I heard where any Kind of technical Detail was given Mike was already talking about the FPGA. The FPGA came in and I think they were still talking about 200 bucks Price Point. I'll actually do that. I'll go listen to that Podcast and see wether FPGA and a Price Point come together at the same Moment.

Never mind. There we go. If this was innitially FPGA I don't know, but as far back as April it was.

The coll Thing is they actually bring up Neo Geo, and that has a Bios. Can you just program for the core without the bios? See what I mean? You should have People who know what they're talking about carefully chosing what to disclose.

I'll still take a look at their Podcasts and see wether this 180 bucks Price Point was brought up on April.

Edited by leods

And this is not the "norm" when it comes to retrogaming crowdfunding at all. The community just has a highly-tuned bullshit detector. He got his magazine funded through crowdfunding. The Blinking Light Win was funded, garnering double or triple what they had initially asked for. We as a community will enthusiastically get behind worthy projects, but we will also readily call "bullshit" when things don't add up.

The Bovine Excrement gauge has been redlined for quite some time now.

bovine-excrement-meter.gif

• Like 2

He posted that the console was targeted to be $149 April 8, and the first mention of the FPGA was on April 15 (the link that you posted.) So did he already know at that time that the $149 price point was no longer possible? What additional features have been added at this point to cause the price to double? At that time, there was no talk of the system being able to play existing consoles' games.

• Like 2

I was looking forward to the RVGS though I was cautiously optimistic thinking OK let's see where this goes. Seems to have gone off the rails unfortunately from a increase in the projected console price, imho to much added on now so no longer just a simple way to play carts once again, a lot of vague answers from the people behind it and recently now wanting a ridiculous 2 million funding goal WHICH might be ok but at this point they don't even have a real prototype board? They are asking for a LOT of faith in a project that is looking questionable at best :( at this point I just think

c6iT9U1.png

He posted that the console was targeted to be $149 April 8, and the first mention of the FPGA was on April 15 (the link that you posted.) So did he already know at that time that the $149 price point was no longer possible? What additional features have been added at this point to cause the price to double? At that time, there was no talk of the system being able to play existing consoles' games.

No, no talk about using adapters until a Sept 2nd post.

I posted this rough timeline yesterday, but things in this thread seem to fly by. Note that even as soon as April 12th he was discussing "hardware emulation" and cores in a podcast:

In late December, 2014, Kennedy bought the Jaguar molds.

Shortly thereafter (Jan 5th), he was taking translucent shell preorders.

On Jan 30th they began recruiting game developers for a console that didn't have electronics yet.

In March, he brings on John Carlsen.

Apr 12 discusses "hardware emulation" and "

" at about the 0:11:00 mark.

As of May 31st, Parrothead/Kennedy was still talking about a $150-200 console with a caveat of 'may' be more.

Listen to this at 9:00 and then at 37:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuZJ8S_zQIg

This is the first Podcast I heard where there were actual Details given. The first Thing that annoyed me about the Project was that after 3 weeks instead of getting the more Hardware Information I was so eager to get to know better, I got some Kickstarter exclusive Shell colours. But there you are. Mike clearly talks about John, about Hardware Emulation and says he wants it to me 150, but maybe it has to be 180.

As many have said, I think this project is just plain in over its head.

What I assume is a jag super-fan bought some tooling and has some 'ideas' for a modern use for it, but that's about the extent of what I've seen for this project. (and 'ideas' does seem to still be a bit more plural than one would hope)

If there was some kind of history of completing similar hardware projects, or partnership with some big names who have...

If there was even some kind of generic dev board running something resembling custom firmware or a game...

As is, it seems that outside of having access to some dodgy project boxes (that give me nightmares), everybody involved in this thread seems to be equally close to RVGS in terms of launching their very own game system. (except for kevtris, naturally--who seems to already have what I'd expect RVGS to be showing in their crowdfunding campaign.)

Please tell me that I've missed something big here.

At this point, I do worry that the hype/drama around RVGS threads are creating the illusion of some form of legitimacy.

Edited by Reaperman

My big question, that no one is bringing up, is what happened to Mike's attempt at taking on Gamestop and other "used game stores"? I remember quite well about him launching a game service that would pay the original publishers a percentage of the sale price for their old games that this "Gamestop killer" processed. They advertised they would be paying more than Gamestop for games too. Anyone remember that?

Or this, um, failure:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/756513245/intellivision-gen2-video-games-for-pc-and-mac?ref=nav_search

Found a news article for that online store, guess it never got up and running either:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/01/parcel-gamer-wants-to-share-used-game-profits-with-publishers/

Just some food for thought here.

Listen to this at 9:00 and then at 37:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuZJ8S_zQIg

This is the first Podcast I heard where there were actual Details given. The first Thing that annoyed me about the Project was that after 3 weeks instead of getting the more Hardware Information I was so eager to get to know better, I got some Kickstarter exclusive Shell colours. But there you are. Mike clearly talks about John, about Hardware Emulation and says he wants it to me 150, but maybe it has to be 180.

Here's one that's even earlier, from 3/23/15

http://www.allgames.com/mm/item/10570-moms-minute-3-23-2015

I haven't listened to all of it, it's gonna be tough, the hosts are unbearable.

CPdHwqJUEAAm3pn.jpg

DO + THE = MATH:

[based on 156 console-purchasing pledges at approx. time of chart generation]

USA 111
Canada 14
UK 9
Germany 6
Australia 5
Sweden 2
Austria 2
Denmark 2
Brazil 1
UAE 1
Y 1
Z 1
Edited by sh3-rg

My big question, that no one is bringing up, is what happened to Mike's attempt at taking on Gamestop and other "used game stores"? I remember quite well about him launching a game service that would pay the original publishers a percentage of the sale price for their old games that this "Gamestop killer" processed. They advertised they would be paying more than Gamestop for games too. Anyone remember that?

Or this, um, failure:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/756513245/intellivision-gen2-video-games-for-pc-and-mac?ref=nav_search

Found a news article for that online store, guess it never got up and running either:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/01/parcel-gamer-wants-to-share-used-game-profits-with-publishers/

Just some food for thought here.

Good finds, I'll have to read that later! I remember the Intellivision Kickstarter thing. It's no surprise that when people including himself talk about his prior Kickstarter successes they leave that one out.

Wow, this thread sure was an interesting read.

What surprised me much (well, not that much tbh) out of this fiasco is the general amateurism followed with arrogant attitude of so called "professionals".

It seems like unrealistic announcements have been made one after another, thinking most people will just be hyped as much as they are and forgetting these are no more vg industry "good old times" anymore but social media times with skilled people able to judge and confront you publically or at least in front of your potential customers.

If this fails (which will likely happen), let it be an example of wrong PR practices and why, no matter how much an "experienced" professional you think you are or "famous" people you worked for who did similar things, you should always remain humble when attempting something you never did yourself.

Edited by philyso
  • Like 2

There's nothing wrong with having business ideas that never come to fruition. Now we're just going to dig stuff up on Mike in order to drag his name through the mud?

I apologize if my post is taken as me trying to drag him through the mud. That was not my intention. I will refrain from any more posts like that.

• Like 2

I will reply to the Retro VGS comments here, because 1) I don't have FB, and 2) they will just delete my replies.

RETRO VGS We were going to contract with Kevin and license his cores at $10K/Core, his asking price. Plus we were going to help fund his development of the 16 bit cores. Then he throws US under the bus. He has a prototype board, we have the even more expensve part of the process in hand the tooling. We would have been happy to work with him, but instead, he wants to attempt to compete with our product with an expensive $200-$250 bare board that won't do half of what the RETRO VGS would do.
Like · Reply · 47 minutes ago · Edited

* This is only partially true. $10K was for the stuff like RCA Studio 2, and Channel F. I was looking for $50K or so for things like NES and 2600.

* I got blown off 2 weeks ago on our meeting to discuss cores, because the system was most likely not going to have an FPGA in it any more. I can quote what you told me on 9/8/15 if that helps:

We are going to hold off for now. Still debating whether or not the FPGA will make it in our system.

Once the IGG thing basically proved the FPGA was going to be a pie-in-the-sky add-on, I knew I had been made redundant. I figured at this point it was just going to be like a Retron 5 and bundle emulators and cart dumpers at the best.

* The $200-250 price I quoted is A COMPLETE SYSTEM and not the bare board. This is a board, case, and power supply. Pack-in games are not required (though I could throw in a homebrew NES title maybe). Controllers would probably be extra, but since I accept USB controllers, you can plug literally any HID and use it. This means controllers, keyboards, and mice. Obviously it'd be kinda hard to play a 2600 game with a mouse, but I'm more thinking for FPGA computer projects and not just games.

* You and you jag mold are like a mule with a spinning wheel. Damned if anyone knows how he got it, and damned if he knows how to use it. (sorry Simpsons). Fortunately, today making a plastic injection mold isn't so brutally expensive. My friend got a brand new NES cartridge shell mold made a few months ago. The process was fast, the parts are awesome and the cost was insanely cheap. It was cheap enough that I could float the cost without resorting to Kickstarter/IGG. For a Jag sized mold, the costs are a lot higher, but since my system will be quite small I don't have all that extra cost housing air and unicorns. My friend already got a crapload of cart cases made with the mold and is starting to sell them over on the nesdev forum. If you need boards/cart shells for your homebrew that's the place to go.

* So far, my board infinitely more than yours does. It's hard to divide by zero and come up with any other answer.

RETRO VGS When he actually does some homework on what it would take to "consumerize" his product and put his bare board into a console shell, add a controller and pack-in game, and incorporate the ARM and both the digital and analog output, go through the regulatory process, etc. he will find out he can't do it for any for any less than we can. I guarantee you all that!
Like · Reply · 46 minutes ago · Edited

* I have done my homework. I have over 100 products under my belt between my home stuff, freelance stuff, and work. Some of them involved a plastic injection molded enclosure. I have been through the entire certification process (for a medical device no less). I own a patent. I think I have a tiny tiny bit of knowledge when it comes down to how to design and see a product through to production and shipping.

* I can add an ARM CPU to my design. At this time I just don't WANT to. The ARM CPU doesn't add anything that I wish to have in my "vision" for the system. The good news is if I wanted an ARM based videogame system I can just MAKE one on the friggin' FPGA directly! Granted it won't run as fast as a dedicated "hard" CPU core would, but we're talking about games here and not the Android OS.

* You must've missed the part about my FPGA board and its plethora of outputs. I already have 100% finished working video in the following formats (today, right now. I can show them off)

1) HDMI at 1080p/60fps, 1080p/50fps, 720p/60fps, 720/,50fps, 480p/60fps, and 576p/50fps.

2) RGB at 31KHz (VGA rate) or any of the HDMI rates

3) RGB at 15KHz (NTSC or PAL rates)

4) Component at any of these rates

5) Composite in PAL and NTSC and "direct system output" which emulates the target system's video EXACTLY. both voltage levels and timing wise.

6) S-video in PAL and NTSC

All of these outputs are 100% digitally generated inside the FPGA for absolute maximum quality.

Audio's currently 16 bits, 48KHz. I can output anything else though like 192KHz/24 bit. Internally right now my audio is 18 bit stereo.

RETRO VGS The main focus of RETRO VGS isn't to play old games but these new retro games being made today, on cartridges. His product is just another way to emulate like dozens of products before it. And with the FPGA it won't compete in any way, shape or form with the countless other software emulated systems out there. His is a failed model from the start and it's a shame he couldn't combine his efforts with our product and make a real compelling product that would do something unlike any other system on the market.
Like · Reply · 58 minutes ago

* Interesting that you hated the word "emulate" when I was in discussions and you were using the term "simulate". The difference between my board and any other emulator is the time and effort I put in to achieve the maximum quality of the end result. Anyone can throw together a R Pi and make an emulator box. I'm selling higher quality outputs (video/audio), absolutely zero lag (even on HDMI), and higher accuracy. My FPGA 2600 has higher accuracy on a few things vs. Stella even. I also am going for breadth and width. I support the Supercharger Demo Unit. I don't see that elsewhere (granted, it's not that big of a deal but I am going for as much inclusiveness as possible). I support Atarivox- there's a friggin PIC18F core I wrote specifically to simulate this add-on. The supercharger demo unit took a new 6800 CPU core as well. So the 2600 has actually no less than three CPUs in it.

* So far your system hasn't been documented at all. So comparing what you want to do with anything else is impossible.

RETRO VGS And, he isn't the only game in town when it comes to FPGA core development.
Like · Reply · 48 minutes ago

Yep. I will just drive down to the Core Store and... oh wait. I'm pretty much the only game in town if you want finished cores with any kind of standard interface between them and all the testing and development work I put in on this.

I will give another ferinstance here for fun. If anyone is curious how much trouble I went to for Gameboy, here we go:

Unlike most other videogame systems, a gameboy's video is not "continuous". A CRT won't wait for pixels, but the LCD on the Gameboy does. This little detail caused huge headaches because each scanline renders for a different amount of time based on what's present on the scanline. The X scroll, Y scroll, window position, even sprites (position AND count) all interact together to change how long it takes. And games rely on this too. Some games will fail or show glitchy graphics if this isn't exactly emulated.

To crack this particularly tough nut, I had to resort to a brute-force approach. This involved taking a gameboy apart, and rebuilding it on perf board so that I could attach some equipment and monitor what exactly happens.

The first step was to make the doctored Gameboy:

IMG 4016

Here's a close up of the wiring:

perfgb closeup

Next, it was hooked into the mothership (my logic analyzer) with a billion probe wires to every point on the GB chip:

Gb wired Up

Then I can use my logic analyzer (an HP 16700B) to trace out EXACTLY what the chip is doing in black and white when certain "interesting" things happen like the sprite DMA:

Gb sprite Dma start

After all this mess, I piped the perfboard gameboy's LCD signals into some FPGA pins and made a quick and dirty CRT interface so I could play the GB games on my PVM:

fpga Gb passthru

Finally, after writing some test code that runs on both the GB and my FPGA and communicates through the link port, I had my FPGA GB video signals exactly matching the
real GB's video signals:

signaltap plusplus

So after all this mess, I finished my GB core and got cycle accuracy. Now imagine doing this for all the systems I have added, and you get some small idea of the trouble I have gone through in my quest for accuracy.

A few more ferinstances:

* Because the Videobrain is so stupidly rare and expensive, I came across some of the custom ASICs at a surplus place, found the schematic for it and made my own damn Videobrain on perfboard! This was then hooked into the logic analyzer and extensively probed.

* Arcadia 2001's were expensive and rare too, so I found a schematic, bought the weird CPU and video chips cheap and built a perf version of that as well, and hooked it into the LA (logic analyzer)

* Atari 2600 and 7800 were a bit easier, I just had to solder .1" headers to the chips and plug the logic analyzer in.

* Intv was similar- just soldered .1" headers on and plugged it in.

* Supervision- had to make an extensive debug setup with a UART cart and lots of .1" headers for the logic analyzer and oscilloscope (during audio debug)

* Complete cycle by cycle investigation of the Odyssey^2's video chip using custom hardware to single step it (Actually single HALF step it- it uses both clock edges) to get absolute accuracy

There's more but this is a small sampling of the trouble I go through in my quest for accuracy. I doubt you will find anyone who has gone to these lengths to ensure accuracy and compatibility. Good luck in your search for cores of this caliber.

• Like 38

So, I'm new here as well, but I have a retro gaming channel (RetroGamingTube 85) on YouTube, and have been covering the Retro VGS since the wheels got into motion with it. I don't know if my opinion is wanted or needed, but I figure I'd throw my 2 cents in on the whole situation.

I think the main problem with the project was the clear lack of direction. I think everyone was expecting an affordable cartridge-based system that would be able to replicate graphics from the 2600 to PS1 era of games. The Retro VGS would have worked if it was based off those initial promises, because that's what everyone expected. Once the $300 mark was given, plus all the "new" ideas to be able to make grander games, I think that hurt them more than they will know.

It's easy to blame negativity on the project as the cause, but why is there negativity in the first place? Because everyone expected one thing, but ended up getting another. Let's pretend they DID have a working prototype, and that Kevtris and Piko were still involved. Is that worth $300 to the average retro game fan?

I don't think it is. And now with Kevtris thinking of creating his own thing, and a DM I got today on Twitter showing me a prototype for essentially what is a "beefed up" Genesis with 4 controller support and a very clever interface/way to purchase games, and I think the Retro VGS flub will end up helping these guys create what the initial project was supposed to be.

As I say in my videos, I wish these guys all the luck in the world, and I wish the project success, but at some point they have to realize that maybe, just maybe, they over-complicated things for no reason.

- RetroGamingTube 85

Edited by RetroGamingTube85

Yep. I will just drive down to the Core Store and... oh wait. I'm pretty much the only game in town if you want finished cores with any kind of standard interface between them and all the testing and development work I put in on this.

I doubt you will find anyone who has gone to these lengths to ensure accuracy and compatibility. Good luck in your search for cores of this caliber.

I too chuckled when I read this! The only other candidates I can think of are MikeJ & co. and Tobias & co. MikeJ is invested in his own Replay board and Tobias is invested in the Turbo Chameleon 64.