IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Still would like to support the developers of Tiny Knight and the other games. Hopefully, if this doesn't succeed, they will be able to publish via download or on other platforms, if not otherwise already, without exclusivity contracts or black-outs hindering them. Their time and effort taken to produce something should be rewarded. :)

The Developers of TK have 63K in funding as they did an Indiegogo and kickstarter back to back. In My experience, That is enough for more than 2-3 games of the scale they were planning to do the funded games. Specially since their developer is the same guy (alekmaul); and another thing, one game was already done which was justice beaver which was originally Rick Dagerous with a sprite swap.

So they should have enough money to make TK without any extra support.

Heck Jim Power NES has been done from scratch and is barely hitting 400 hours of work from our pocket. probably another 50 or so and is ready.

Edited by PikoInteractive

I don't understand the comments about having developers working on games. First, they don't even have final hardware or a development kit. How is anything getting developed? Second, all the developers I've reached out to (except CollectorVision) have told me that they will only develop for the console if the campaign is successful. They're not developing anything yet.

With their rhetoric it means that the game developers are working to complete their games; like Songbringer, the game isn't finished yet.

It all comes down how you can make that sound like things are moving within their camp.

This was just posted by Mike on FB, in response to the failed Kickstarter campaigns he had posted:

"We are light years ahead of them. We have invested in and have in hand the console shell, we have a tried-and-true team of industry hardware guys who have worked on consumer hardware and software in the past. We have legit developers already working with us to bring games. We have suppliers and contract manufacturers set up and ready to start producing "real" consumer prototypes and finished products. The list goes on and on. We aren't hiding the fact that we don't have a prototype and the facts are making a prototype is very expensive. Do you think Sony prototypes a new piece of hardware for a ew thousand dollars? It takes tens of thousands to do it right and that is what we are prepared to do. The design we've working on has been almost a year in the making and we could prototype quickly if we could afford to do it. Simple as that."

He still believes that they are very far along with the project. I don't understand the comments about having developers working on games. First, they don't even have final hardware or a development kit. How is anything getting developed? Second, all the developers I've reached out to (except CollectorVision) have told me that they will only develop for the console if the campaign is successful. They're not developing anything yet.

For those without facebook, He was replying to a post made by BunnyBoy, then BunnyBoy replied back with this:

I feel bad for RETRO VGS that your hardware guys are lying to you. Like kevtris I have also done an FPGA console, including all the tooling for a finished consumer product. The proof of concept board that ran NES carts with HDMI output was ~$1k and you don't even have that. How much you think Sony spends makes no difference, they don't need crowd funding. http://www.retrousb.com/images/AVSdev.jpg

He also edited that response with more

We are light years ahead of them. We have invested in and have in hand the console shell, we have a tried-and-true team of industry hardware guys who have worked on consumer hardware and software in the past. We have legit developers already working with us to bring games. We have suppliers and contract manufacturers set up and ready to start producing "real" consumer prototypes and finished products. The list goes on and on. We aren't hiding the fact that we don't have a prototype and the facts are making a prototype is very expensive. Do you think Sony prototypes a new piece of hardware for a ew thousand dollars? It takes tens of thousands if not hundreds of thouandsto do it right and that is what we are prepared to do. The design we've working on has been almost a year in the making and we could prototype quickly if we could afford to do it. Simple as that. Making a board to sell in forums as an unfinished and unregulated product is no fair comparison.

Edited by mickcris
  • Like 2

Well ... I just got blocked from posting anything on their FB page and all my posts were removed. I was never rude and only brought up issues with statements they were making. My last post was in response to them stating that having the case was a major step that put them beyond other failed projects, to which I replied that's not true. I'm guessing others will be finding themselves in a similar position.

That's fine though. The message is already out and people are well aware of the issues with this campaign.

• Like 1

"Should adress a lot of the misinformation." Why don't they adress the misinformation on their own web page and in the IGG page? They know People want specific Information about this. They HAVE to put it on the IGG project.

I guess the misinformation they mean is: They don't know who's going to make their cores. They don't know IF there are gonna have cores. They have no clue what they're doing, The System costs 300 bucks. Their Controller is some generic crap, they never specified the Technology in the cartridges, they have almost no games confirmed, and even the ones they have aren't great.

But to me what kills it is: "For your believers, please Keep the faith". I can't even put into words how wrong this is. Is this a gaming console or some religious scam? Seriously, I wouldn't buy anything for any Price from some bastard who expects me to have faith in him. My only answer is: Just send me a couple RVGS Systems when it's ready with all games available. I'll definitely pay for it once I've tested everything and see how awesome it is. Come on. I'm a nice guy. Have some faith...

• Like 3

I wonder if it is possible to get crowdfunding for a game that has already been made? Anything goes, it seems :)

I made this Sonic game some time ago....anyone willing to pay me 'in reverse' if I set up a kickstarter? :grin: I would need about a 1000USD to have done it.

Edited by AE35

Can the people who don't understand why some of us are upset about this clusterfuck now understand? It's the arrogance, foolishness and the just plain old stubbornness that are drawing out the hostility. I don't think anyone wanted to see this fail... each day the campaign remains alive is another critical hit to the integrity of everyone involved.

They sure are quick to blame everyone but themselves.

• Like 3

I wonder if it is possible to get crowdfunding for a game that has already been made? Anything goes, it seems :)

I made this Sonic game some time ago:

....anyone willing to pay me 'in reverse' if I set up a kickstarter? :grin: I would need about a 1000USD to have done it.

It's sad to say it, but it makes way more sense to pay for a Project that's done than for one that has no specs..

Tiny Knight looked awful

Tiny Knight looked quite good

:lolblue:

Somewhere between the two? It shows some potential, it looks like it could be fun to play with some decent level design, but there's one glaring issue - the player character anchored so rigidly to the upper centre of the screen would be headache-inducing (especially on a platformer of that scale) with the only relief coming when you reach the level boundaries. As a homebrew maybe I'd not normally be so critical (for instance, Orion's Alice's Mom's Rescue Jaguar/DC/whatever game does exactly the same thing), but as the pack-in and being hyped with the words "If you loved games like Super Mario, Wonder Boy and Mega Man you will be in for a real treat" (from the campaign), well, nah.

Those games are special all kinds of reasons, but not least of which being the decent and varied methods of handling you exploring their worlds. None involve stapling you to the centre of the screen, they each have their own well engineered camera setup that's either pivotal to how nicely the game feels (SMB, WB) or a big part of its way of doing things (MM with those pauses for vertical transitions and other switchups in scrolling that just feel MM). But I don't see much in this pack-in escalating it to these heights, even without the torturous camera, but there's time and it's only a short video.

Not sure if this has already been posted ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmapDzXBA70&feature=youtu.be

It took me less than five minutes to realize I can't listen to Kennedy say anything at all any more. Skipped to 50 minutes and at about 52:40 they both were in agreement how awesome everything is and some people just want the campaign to fail, or something.

@ ~51 minutes Kennedy says that they could have twenty games but "6-8 games is probably about right" for 5-7000 console users. Don't want to spread too thin so everyone can make money (paraphrasing, but that's essentially it).

@ ~52:20 "John's company, Collectorvision's got probably seven or eight games we want to bring on".

Err... what?

If there was a disclaimer from this "neutral" party, I missed it.

I just can't do it. I look forward to hearing Triverse's interview, which I suspect will have more meat.

• Like 2

The most modern console I own is a Wii, so I admit that I don't have any experience with automated patching and patches "breaking" digital downloads. Is this a serious problem with modern gaming? That is, are there well-known cases of titles that have been broken by automated patching or have disappeared from your account?

I'm asking because this is a problem that would in part justify the existence of the RVGS. The RVGS as imagined would be the solution to a known problem. But what if it's not really a problem?

Edited by boxpressed

just started listening, not sure i'll make it through though, an hour long and so far sounds like everything we have heard before :?

Want facts not a list of ideas, should let John ask a question without talking over him.

Edited by Radfoo
  • Like 1

Stay classy, Mike -- replying to a suggestion for people to watch the two-part #CUPodcast/Pat the NES Punk video (emphasis, mine):

RETRO VGS Nathan, their drunken commentary was filled with disinformation beginning with our shipping costs and going on from there. Very little of what they discussed had anything to back it up and they did little to no research. And their opinion there is no market for cartridge gaming and that games these days can't be made without bugs is their opinion nothing objective. Cartridge gaming thrived and we all loved it for nearly 20 years. It can happen again. We feel there is a need for this product and a market for this even though it will cost gamers a bit more to actually "own" the games they love to play. They could have easily invited me on like Gamester81's upcoming video and we could have had equal ground. But they didn't afford us this benefit even when Pat has my email address and could have asked me.
4 · 20 mins · Edited

• Like 5

They answered NOTHING. No ARM core, no specs, he confirms he'll only start working on the prototype AFTER the campaign gets funded, and spewed a bunch of other PR bullshit that makes EA's PR Team jealous ot his Talent.

I'm so diasppointed at John for just rolling with this. I guess we'll have to wait for the other interview.

BTW, Video with 32 likes and 45 dislikes as I write this.

I'm serious guys. Don't even watch the interview there is NOTHING new there. Not a single Piece of Information on the Hardware, just the same crap: It's gonna be awesome, We got a great Team, we're putting the best we can, we'Re doing our bes, this is going to be awesome. Complete waste of an hour. And you even have to pay Attention very closely, because Mike can't get a damned microfone that works and speak clearly into it.

Edited by leods
  • Like 4

You will get in trouble for saying that Xevious is a good game :)

OK, this thread has gone way too far. The gloves are off. You can have a go at RGVS. You can have a go at my mother. You can even make disrespectful comments about my sister. But Xevious. Xevious is off-limits. How dare you even hint that Xevious isn't the best arcade game ever produced, let alone not a good game.

Choose your weapon sir.

• Like 2

Well, one good thing came out of this project -- their comparison of Read Only Memories to Snatcher means that I will give that game a try when it launches in less than two weeks on every platform other than RetroVGS. I'll probably play it on my iPhone, where it will be portable and will almost certainly cost less than $50, even though it won't have a translucent purple cartridge shell.

There is a demo available for ROM if you are wanting to see how close it is to Snatcher. Oh, transcription has begun.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmapDzXBA70&feature=youtu.be

(By the way, their campaign is currently down to $65,953 and 191 backers, seventeen dollars above their early morning numbers, and that's after their $1,040 pledge came back.)

I'm sorry but listening to Mike explaining what an FPGA is and how it works is cringeworthy..While he admits that he's neither a software or a hardware guy, at least have a friggin' idea what you're talking about or be able to explain it in layman's terms... Oh, and there are SNES and Genesis cores out there...

-Mux

• Like 2

They answered NOTHING. No ARM core, no specs, he confirms he'll only start working on the prototype AFTER the campaign gets funded, and spewed a bunch of other PR bullshit that makes EA's PR Team jealous ot his Talent.

I'm so diasppointed at John for just rolling with this. I guess we'll have to wait for the other interview.

BTW, Video with 32 likes and 45 dislikes as I write this.

I'm serious guys. Don't even watch the interview there is NOTHING new there. Not a single Piece of Information on the Hardware, just the same crap: It's gonna be awesome, We got a great Team, we're putting the best we can, we'Re doing our bes, this is going to be awesome. Complete waste of an hour. And you even have to pay Attention very closely, because Mike can't get a damned microfone that works and speak clearly into it.

Thanks for the summary. I skipped through it, listened here and there but never heard anything of real substance and would jump ahead a few minutes, still no real answers. Yes it was kind of hard to hear in places.

I've really getting tired of the shit they're spewing forth now and it's getting way beyond excusable; it's no longer ignorance but wilfull disception. I actually want this to fail now, because Mike needs his ass handed to him.

He claims they've been working for a year on the hardware - and have nothing to show? I could have had a prototype done in a year - working alone! Kevtris has done it before, as has others. Yet these "industry experts" can't come up with anything more than a rendered mock-up that wold have taken about 1/2 day to put together? Not only that, but the specs are still changing and to this day, they haven't been able to provide any details on either the CPU or the FPGA. Complete and utter smoke-and-mirrors BS.

Sorry, this is more than naive over-enthusiasm. Way more. It's dishonesty and egotistic stubborness. Period.

• Like 5