IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

I am glad he is staying away from this mess, he is a great guy.

Yes, a great guy he is! been super nice to me and helpful for the 5200 super podcast locating programmers and such. I was with the team at Game on Expo last month and the general excitement of the crowd was significant that visited the Retro Magazine booth. It is a shame all this is going on, I would really like to see something like this come out. I still am a backer, going to ride it out to the end :P disclaimer - Mike co-hosts colecovisions podcast with myself and Gamester81 :P

I'm actually kinda surprised that, at least from the outset, there's actually a bit of a backlash against cartridges... or am I completely wrong here? I pretty much had the same idea when I made my console, complete with web-ordering services for getting games done for devs. Over the course of this thread though, it's interesting to see that cartridges are still popular... BUT FOR OLD SYSTEMS as in flash cards, multi-cards and what not.

Am I just reading this wrong or is there a genuine backlash against going with cartridges. Some of the reviews just blatantly blame them for not being with modern times. Also somewhat surprised that the 3DS hasn't been compared (although it's technically not a cartridge in the true sense, just serial storage).

Last but not least, 16MB of nor-flash sets you back about a buck, so even if you add a tenner for the case and what not, cartridges shouldn't really cost more than $20...

-Mux

• Like 1

Reasonable people of the 21st century accept the idea that the ability to patch your software and update your hardware is a feature, not a bug.

We hold these truths to be self evident that while they were nice when we were younger, we no longer need cartridges as a storage medium when flash, magnetic, and optical media is faster, cheaper, denser, and better in every way.

Having the option to put computers on the Internet for information exchange and multiplayer communication and fun is not a bad thing.

Making a lovely horse drawn wagon is nice, but pricing the same price as a modern automobile while blaming the "haters" because your buggy whip isn't selling is just delusional.

Sometimes, the guy who seems to see things differently from everyone else gets the last laugh, disrupts an industry, and shows everyone how it's done. Far more often, he's just a guy in a hole who just won't stop digging. Is it out of pride, not wanting to be wrong? Is it out of such a strong desire to bring about his dream, whether or not he can actually deliver, or whether or not anyone else shares his vision? Perhaps he's desperate to break out of the mundane and do something extraordinary, something really special?

Most people don't get to be an astronaut, or president, or even rich and famous. It's okay to be ordinary and it's okay to fail gracefully and go back to doing things that are feasible, possible, simpler.

I'm gonna go walk the dog now.

• Like 7

I think there is a backlash against carts to a certain degree. I've bought some homebrew carts over the years to support the homebrew scene, but those were for 16-bit and earlier systems. I expect an experience similar to that of 20+ years ago. Do I buy a NES homebrew expecting the next SMW3? Of course not. However, if I'm buying a cart version of a modern game that has fewer features than a downloadable version, I would be upset, especially if I'm paying 3-5x the cost for the "retro" experience. If the RVGS was focused on true retro games, I don't think the carts would be a problem. But in a world where games are more complex, online leaderboards exist and with popular DLC content I don't see how "no updates" is a plus. Even the NG DEV team making new Neo Geo games allow the software to be updated via USB.

• Like 2

I'm actually kinda surprised that, at least from the outset, there's actually a bit of a backlash against cartridges... or am I completely wrong here? I pretty much had the same idea when I made my console, complete with web-ordering services for getting games done for devs. Over the course of this thread though, it's interesting to see that cartridges are still popular... BUT FOR OLD SYSTEMS as in flash cards, multi-cards and what not.

Am I just reading this wrong or is there a genuine backlash against going with cartridges. Some of the reviews just blatantly blame them for not being with modern times. Also somewhat surprised that the 3DS hasn't been compared (although it's technically not a cartridge in the true sense, just serial storage).

Last but not least, 16MB of nor-flash sets you back about a buck, so even if you add a tenner for the case and what not, cartridges shouldn't really cost more than $20...

-Mux

I think you are reading it wrong. Even Mike got it wrong in that hour long "thing" (e.g. once a ROM is burned - I doubt you'll be manufacturing ROM's).

People would probably prefer a cart that is re-flashable, without hassle. Would you want to know how big of a cart you can use, when you "sign up" as a developer? What is the profit margin per cart? Why did I even start typing?

That said, we ran out of space on BluRay, on one of my last games.

-Mux

I think the backlash is less against carts and more that their whole theory makes no sense. It's a fairy tale. It would be awesome if it wasn't. They have a campaign with no prototype, no specs, no nothing. Carts seem to be 50 bucks for indie games that likely could be bought for under half that. If they had a prototype and 10 exclusive retro style games (I have no problem with making the system strong for a variety of game types), then it would be something a person could be like, all right, cool, at least we get 10 exclusive games. But it just isn't going to work like that and to boot you can't even emulate from it with an SD card to bring all audiences together. Not only that, but no networking isn't something to be proud of when that could fix shit that might go wrong with a console. They're just off in fairy land.

And on top of that, they appear to be dicks.

• Like 1

Just noticed a post John / Gamestar81 just made on Facebook regarding his recent video on the RVGS interview, of course he is also talking about the negative people and the "haters" and feels he did a good job and of course he is getting supportive comments BUT STILL of course no mention of the true shortcomings of the system, lack of any real hardware etc and the sad part is you can already see how when this things does ultimately fail people like John and Mike are just going to go on about how it was failed due to the haters and the doomsayers while of course never admitting the real reasons it failed. :roll: WHAT A JOKE. So just never answer the real questions about RVGS and if you are not all out shouting it's virtues you must be a hater lol. Just keep removing anything negative or that you are not willing to give a real answer and keep living in the fantasy world.

zX9HfoZ.jpg

• Like 3

Gamester complained of getting dislikes on his video before twenty minutes. It was clear within less than that it was going to be a softball interview. While I only scrubbed through most, Gamester finally mentions in passing that he's "involved" with Tiny Knight.

They don't realize this kind of behavior feeds into the whole "smoke and mirrors" idea. They keep doing things that make them look shifty, when they really just need to be straightforward.

• Like 4

For anyone curious, a guy who says he ran RetroVGSClub posted over at neogaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=179974526&postcount=500

He uses an interesting combination of curse words that I'm not sure I'm allowed to copy over here. :grin:

Now that's a word I need to start working in to my vocabulary!

• Like 4

I just finished listening to the Gamester81 interview.

I'm not the biggest Gamester81 fan but I don't have anything against him. His videos are entertaining enough but I generally only watch them if I like the subject unlike some other youtubers where I tend to stay up on every new release.

It was very 'softball'. It really sounded like one of those staged interviews you get on overnight infomercials where they have an 'interviewer' thats really just setting up the company rep to say what they want.

How intentional this was (due to Gamester81 having financial motives) I cannot say. I don't have any reason to think anything particularly underhanded is going on so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that perhaps he's just really interested in the project.

The bottomline is though that Mike didn't give us any compelling reason to think this project is headed anywhere except the bin. The explanations for a few things didn't really jive and you can name drop all you want but you still have to show something.

One thing I did think was sad is how they are basically rallying against all the 'haters' both in the interview and on facebook. Instead of really addressing the issues or taking the (valid) criticism to heart they seem to just have this persecution complex. Sure, no matter what you do people will throw rocks. But when just about everybody is throwing rocks.. chances are you may need to take a step back and evaluate what you are doing.

• Like 4

Man. John (Gamester) is one of my favorite retro gamers on YT just for all the esoteric stuff he reviews, and it's disheartening to see him acting like the negative feedback RGVS is getting is nothing more than jealousy of creative people. I know his company is making games for it, but there's a level of intellectual dishonesty going on that's just unfortunate.

I guess on some level it's my own fault for expecting more from people you're fans off.

• Like 3

How intentional this was (due to Gamester81 having financial motives) I cannot say. I don't have any reason to think anything particularly underhanded is going on so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that perhaps he's just really interested in the project.

I don't think it's intentional, mainly because I've found all his past interviews to be like this. It's up to the person he's interviewing to say something of interest. He doesn't know how to get meaningful information from people he's speaking with.

It was very 'softball'. It really sounded like one of those staged interviews you get on overnight infomercials where they have an 'interviewer' thats really just setting up the company rep to say what they want.

My thoughts exactly. I posted the link as soon as it popped up on NeoGAF, but I didn't have time to give it a listen until later. Mike is definitely one of those guys who talks a lot but doesn't say much. He's passionate, all right, but it's a shifty and noncommittal and oily kind of passion, like an enthusiastic used car salesman who uses all his charms to get you to buy a lemon.

As for his comments on Facebook, and his deleting and banning of dissenters ... these are not the actions of a sane man, let alone a "seasoned industry professional" with decades of experience. Mike was supposed to be the savvy marketing guy on the team, but even their supporters are now begging him to stop the campaign before it kills somebody. (By the way, they're now down $506 from this morning.)

• Like 2