IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

I have been listening to this guy for over 6 hours as I rewind and copy down what is being said. He is indeed saying "bulk power" in that video. He has a softer "buh" sound in his voice so "b" can sometimes sound like "v" when he is talking.

Any news on that bomb-shell of the guy who claims "Luke, I am your father" kind of things wrt the invention of the console?

Pipercub at http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/page-98?do=findComment&comment=3330371

While I want to release the audio and text at the same time, it may not end up that way. I may have to split the releases up (audio, then later this weekend/next week release text and the video somewhere around there). The video will just be the audio with some pics from this event that we are seeing play out. The reason I am making this available in these three format is because there are people that will only see it in one of them, many of us will see it in all three (I see it when I blink, I swear wave forms and text). The point is, I know it is frustrating to know that someone, me, has this interview and is, apparently, taking their time releasing it. I am not, believe me, I have been up for the last seven days (since I wrote that last article) running on 5 hours of sleep a day. Since I released the first article on this I have been putting in 10 to 20 hours a week reading, collecting, listening to podcasts, watching videos, etc that cover this thing- over and over again, just to make sure I have my ducks in a row when I got the chance to write another article or interview someone (anyone really believe they would take an interview with me? I didn't, not after the articles I have written about the RVGS). I am in this as an impartial, as can be I am a HUGE fan of the retro community or I wouldn't put this much time into it, party that is trying to get to the bottom of this situation.

I know there will be people that are upset that their question was not asked/answered in this interview. That is life. I had a set amount of time to get as much info as I could. I did my best to direct them with questions that mattered, none of that "hey guys, how ya doin?" questions. I literally don't remember asking them any personal questions that others have asked them that would be considered pleasantries. Not because I am a jerk, though I have been called that before, but because this was not a pleasant interview. I was not rude but I was not their best friend here.

Honestly, in this whole interview (over an hour) I spoke less than 100 words. For many of you that is going to be annoying but, I am sure they read up on what was coming as I was very vocal about wanting questions from the communities. They answered a lot of questions that were not asked, which was great for me as you will hear- public speaking is not my forte. I did my job and I am confident that, even though there will be those that are mad over SOMETHING in the interview, there will others that learn something new about the RVGS here. There was some stuff that I don't remember seeing anywhere else (not even in the Gamester81 video) so there are some nuggets of gold in this interview.

Good or bad, we need more people that take the time to get things right the first time especially about something as high profile as this console. That is what I did with this interview and why it is taking so long to get copy over to text.

I am not sure, after I finish this copy to text if I will ever write or speak another word on the RVGS. Probably won't have to as they probably won't interview with me again.

Edited by triverse
  • Like 5

Listen, there is a visibility Problem on the PC platform. The market is kinda flooded. But what is a homebrew console going to Change? Even if it was to work they could get 20 devs aboard and for all the other thousands nothing would Change.

I never said anything about this console providing more visibility to indie devs. The concept of the RetroVGS isn't even about them. The system is specifically for people who want to own some of these games in physical cart form. There's really not much more to it.

All I was saying is that such a system has a small niche market. If you want to release such a system, just focus on that market and don't go around thinking you're going to change the world with your idea that isn't the least bit interesting to the general gaming market. It doesn't have to be in thousands of homes. I'm sure they could find a few hundred people who'd be happy to buy this for $350+. Even with a small install base of a few hundred users, they could likely still attract homebrewers and some indie devs to release their stuff on the platform.

Does Indiegogo hold the backers' money in escrow until the end of the campaign, whether that is the original timetable or when Retro VGS pulls the plug? Or do the Retro VGS have access to whatever has been pledged? Just wondering if backers get an automatic and guaranteed refund if the campaign doesn't reach its goal or is cancelled.

Using the type of funding they did, they only get the money if the goal is reached. Which it obviously will not be.

Any news on that bomb-shell of the guy who claims "Luke, I am your father" kind of things wrt the invention of the console?

Pipercub at http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/page-98?do=findComment&comment=3330371

I'm surprised that revelation isn't getting more traction in this thread. I used to be a fairly regular listener of RGR, and that post explains the weirdness of the podcast over the last year (when Mike basically disappeared from it). The post seems to back up the suspicion of many that profit is the most important outcome of this venture, and it comes from someone who was part of it on Day One.

Edited by boxpressed

I have no problem with you taking your time. It doesn't look like they'll be pulling the campaign any time soon. Sometimes good work takes time and you need rest.

I have a question for the rest of you guys, I was making a video about the VGS for my channel and I already recorded and edited the audio. But with the new "prototype" I'm not sure how to handle that issue. Should I just take that out for now, or is that something worth leaving in with maybe a disclaimer that they made a new video showing something that may or may not be a prototype?

Triverse, I'd be tempted to release at least the audio (video?) just because the fire is hot. Hopefully anyone who prefers the transcription can understand.

I'm surprised that revelation isn't getting more traction in this thread. I used to be a fairly regular listener of RGR, and that post explains the weirdness of the podcast over the last year (when Mike basically disappeared from it). The post seems to back up the suspicion of many that profit is the most important outcome of this venture, and it comes from someone who was part of it on Day One.

See below for what probably happened when he disappeared from the podcast. Short answer, as I understand it: Kennedy apparently skipped doing many podcasts, and the last straw was when he went to something called "Surf Dogs" instead:

Well, I have decided to jump in feet first and develop my first game for this platform:

California Games:Surf Dogs?!

For those who don't know the inspiration for this, go to the show notes page for RGR #79 and jump to 3:40:25 in the podcast mp3 for the ten minutes of flaming spiral glory.

I have no problem with you taking your time. It doesn't look like they'll be pulling the campaign any time soon. Sometimes good work takes time and you need rest.

I have a question for the rest of you guys, I was making a video about the VGS for my channel and I already recorded and edited the audio. But with the new "prototype" I'm not sure how to handle that issue. Should I just take that out for now, or is that something worth leaving in with maybe a disclaimer that they made a new video showing something that may or may not be a prototype?

The latter is more fair. They have shown SOMETHING, after all.

It's a pretty big bomb shell of a post and I do believe him that this is a cash grab, but I think most people here took the "original creator" claim as seriously as they take this project- meaning not at all. Seriously, the design of this thing has taken so many twists and turns that the only thing left of the original idea is the Jaguar shells. Saying you are the "original creator" of the Retro VGS is like saying you're the original creator of the flying car because you drew it in your school math book.

Listen, I think you shouldn't Play their game. They have a crowdfunding campaign, but right after the lead director of the Project says it's impossible to make a prototype, their Hardware guy Comes out with a "prototype".

I don't care what the circumstances are for this. I personally believe they're just manipulating People, but even if they aren't there is no way they could be trusted with 2mi Dollars to do this. This is just ridiculous.

This has been over since they made the Price Change. If they had any transparency whatsoever they'd have adressed that before. Also the Switch to indiegogo. The Problem is not that they changed the Price and the crowdfunding site. It's that they knew this stuff for months (as they admit themselves) but they didin't update anyone on it.

Seriously, you have to be stupid to donate Money to such a campaign.

Edited by leods
  • Like 2

Now 187 186 backers and $63,775 $63,436. Down $1,145 $1,484 from this morning. Looks like those updates which raise more questions than they answer aren't helping. They'd now need at least an even $50K per day for the remainder of the campaign, including today, to reach their minimum goal.

His buddie's interview/infomercial seems to have backfired. It's going to be 3 days in a row with a net loss of backers and 4 for cash.

• Like 4

See below for what probably happened when he disappeared from the podcast. Short answer, as I understand it: Kennedy apparently skipped doing many podcasts, and the last straw was when he went to something called "Surf Dogs" instead:

Listening right now. I didn't realize that the title of Chuck's game was referencing something. I thought he was just being goofy.

Just as I said before, the algorhythm they have can't even take into consideration a negative curve, so once a Project starts losing Money they just predict it'll end at the current value.

But seriously, John Carlsen will be forever remembered by me. In the whole Situation his Video was one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen. In a way I actually felt sorry for him, because at the very end he seems to be almost crying.

I won't hold a personal grudge against anyone involved in this Project. But I won't ever be able to take them seriously from a professional Point of view.

I did listen to gamester81's interview again, and it's funny how he needed to answer the questions himself. It was like, he asked somehting, and Mike rambled 15 minutes about nothing, than John would say: so you mean this and that? and Mike, yeah, I just awanna add, 5 more minutes of bullcrap. Rinse and repeat and you have the "interview".

This is actually at a Level where it started getting comical. I just still can't believe there are People defending this. But then again, the xbox one and PS4 sold millions of copies... anything goes.

• Like 1

I often skip the Live News segment, so I missed this! I'm listening to it now, and it's hilarious. Particularly because the hosts thought "Surf Dogs" was some kind of Kobayashi hot dog-eating contest, and it turns out to be a competition for dogs who surf.

Listen, I think you shouldn't Play their game. They have a crowdfunding campaign, but right after the lead director of the Project says it's impossible to make a prototype, their Hardware guy Comes out with a "prototype".

I don't care what the circumstances are for this. I personally believe they're just manipulating People, but even if they aren't there is no way they could be trusted with 2mi Dollars to do this. This is just ridiculous.

This has been over since they made the Price Change. If they had any transparency whatsoever they'd have adressed that before. Also the Switch to indiegogo. The Problem is not that they changed the Price and the crowdfunding site. It's that they knew this stuff for months (as they admit themselves) but they didin't update anyone on it.

Seriously, you have to be stupid to donate Money to such a campaign.

Hard to disagree with that. He's been throwing the word "transparency" around a lot, but it amounts to very little real information in the stuff he's been transparent about. There's been just enough "transparency" to give mostly vague and conflicting ideas of what the RVGS might be since April. About as transparent as one of his Jaguar shells smeared in vaseline.

The facebook fans believe they are seeing a prototype of the system that will play the games they've been told about. Other people around the interwebs suggest something else. SD&R should mention the "prototype" and the varying reactions to it from different quarters.

I did listen to gamester81's interview again, and it's funny how he needed to answer the questions himself. It was like, he asked somehting, and Mike rambled 15 minutes about nothing, than John would say: so you mean this and that? and Mike, yeah, I just awanna add, 5 more minutes of bullcrap. Rinse and repeat and you have the "interview".

completely!

*french newbie incoming*

Am I the only one who believe that the retro vgs is an amazing project? For sure it will certainly fail, it will never be funded in time, but f*ck, how awesome that would be!

Welcome :)

Please explain what aspects of it you find awesome, would be interesting to read.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 2

It's a pretty big bomb shell of a post and I do believe him that this is a cash grab, but I think most people here took the "original creator" claim as seriously as they take this project- meaning not at all. Seriously, the design of this thing has taken so many twists and turns that the only thing left of the original idea is the Jaguar shells. Saying you are the "original creator" of the Retro VGS is like saying you're the original creator of the flying car because you drew it in your school math book.

I should make this more specific, the idea for the console was 100% Mike's. I and UK Mike were a material part of the meetings to turn an idea into actual product, and my role in addition to bringing in some experts to help guide the creation was to design the console's PCB. It was originally nothing like it is now, think more of a Super Sega Genesis. If you listen to the interview our show did for the IGG campaign the first thing Steve does is lay out pretty clearly how it all got started and there are quite a few references to my original design with "yeah, yup, and uhhuh from Socal". One day Socal starts talking about his hardware guys and it was a big WTF moment, then they heard about me and we met up and laughed and laughed about the whole thing, no dirt there. I did want to be clear that profit was never Socal's prime motive, it was to create a really cool console. He didn't have any intention of screwing customers. I am going to just let this thing play out and stay out of it for now.

• Like 3

I should make this more specific, the idea for the console was 100% Mike's. I and UK Mike were a material part of the meetings to turn an idea into actual product, and my role in addition to bringing in some experts to help guide the creation was to design the console's PCB. It was originally nothing like it is now, think more of a Super Sega Genesis. If you listen to the interview our show did for the IGG campaign the first thing Steve does is lay out pretty clearly how it all got started and there are quite a few references to my original design with "yeah, yup, and uhhuh from Socal". One day Socal starts talking about his hardware guys and it was a big WTF moment, then they heard about me and we met up and laughed and laughed about the whole thing, no dirt there. I did want to be clear that profit was never Socal's prime motive, it was to create a really cool console. He didn't have any intention of screwing customers. I am going to just let this thing play out and stay out of it for now.

This thread moves fast, any chance you could take a quick look at my reply and offer some info on that?

I often skip the Live News segment, so I missed this! I'm listening to it now, and it's hilarious. Particularly because the hosts thought "Surf Dogs" was some kind of Kobayashi hot dog-eating contest, and it turns out to be a competition for dogs who surf.

I'm not sure which is a worse reason to bail on your podcasting partners. At least the hot dog contest would involve nourishment...

• Like 3

It's cute how they posed the jag shell in there for no reason (except possibly to obscure some of the BS), and stuck those rgb/vga converters in there for...visual variety(?). The whole thing seems badly staged, and as with every RVGS interaction, seems to intentionally avoid anything resembling plausibly useful information. "blah blah, patent blah blah lawyer...power goes in, blinking light"

Hey I know, you're sitting in front of this pile of stupid that we're clearly supposed to be paying attention to--maybe I missed the part where it did something? After all, it doing something is 100% of the difference between a pile of emerging tech and a pile of pure stupid.

Here's how I would have BS'd it:

"Hey guys, it doesn't look like much yet, but here's our sub-$200 off-the shelf ARM dev board. (provide link) We're using it to get our initial firmware tests done (show off fake visual controller input test with a disclaimer about it being in development and not final)"

Granted I have no idea what I'm talking about, but whatever, I'm apparently just better at BS?

Maybe I shouldn't cut on them--because I really REALLY want to see this thing get funded, so I can see them have to actually build something. But jeez, there's just nothing here at all except that stupid case and possibly some email traffic about a big buy of some usb wiimotes. Please, please, correct me if I'm wrong here. I want to be at least a little wrong about that.

Edited by Reaperman

I don't think I'll make another Video on this, but if I do I think I'll tell People the RVGS team lied so much, now they can't make their lies match up anymore. And the sad Thing is, they didin't Need to lie at all. They should just have come clear with everything from the start. I'd be saying this is not worth it, because for 300 bucks you can do a ton of better stuff than buy yourself a console that Plays 7 games, of which one seems to be good. But at least I wouldn't be saying a word about their integrity.

Even as the IGG campaign went up I did a pretty positive Video, just telling they should put up more Details. Somehow things went downhill pretty fast...

Welcome :)

Please explain what aspects of it you find awesome, would be interesting to read.

The idea of a new system, built like the old ones, with the same concept, no updates, cd's or anything, just the system and games developped for it (well now the only one that we know is "tiny knight" and look shitty...but maybe they'll do great games, I hope so)

Having the games on cartridge and the collectible aspect is really a big part of the vgs, plus it's not a shitty emulator with a rapsberry pi but a real console, something built and designed to play games specially made for it.

However it will certainly miserably fail, their communication is horrible, they change their mind every day and the price is just awful

• Like 3

Having the games on cartridge and the collectible aspect is really a big part of the vgs, plus it's not a shitty emulator with a rapsberry pi but a real console, something built and designed to play games specially made for it.

How can a system that's not even out, and never will be, possibly be collectible? Do you also collect hoverboards?

• Like 1

Buy DRM free games, make a custom box, print some artwork. It's not gonna be just some awesome collection, it's also gonna be a creative Hobby.

You can put the games in an SD Card. GOG even have PDF instruction Manuals you can print out for some of the games. It's pretty cool.

Edited by leods