IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

English is not my primary language, so I hope someone can enlighten me:

Now that following the Retro VGS-subejct has become my main hobby, I have come upon many occasions where 'Jaguar' is pronounced, well, strange. There's the standard 'Jaguar' but then there is the odd 'jag-wire'. I hear this a lot from different people, including Mike Kennedy.

Where does 'jag-wire' come from? Is it as correct of a pronounciation as 'jaguar'?

/Nicholas

Yes, 'jag-war' is the correct English pronunciation, as it is closest to the original Portuguese, it's how Americans pronounce it.

The British incorrectly pronounce it 'jag-u-war.'

I'm not sure which is a worse reason to bail on your podcasting partners. At least the hot dog contest would involve nourishment...

I only heard the clip, but I thought the loud American was "Socal" Mike Kennedy. I guess they were talking about him. Thanks for the clarification.

Still, it was an incredibly annoying couple of minutes. I've never liked the RGR podcast, it's just not for me.

At one point, I was looking for a "similar" opening sound to that of Law and Order. Quite funny. As it is, it will just be the interview, no fancy intro, no music, just the facts. Like Dragnet.

I could do a deep-voice intro for you.

In the classic gaming community, the people are represented by two separate, but equally important groups: the gamers, who collect and play video games, and the entrepreneurs who profit off of the collectards. These are their stories." DONG DONG.

Edited by Jibbajaba
  • Like 1

I delight in the fact that Atari Age is receiving credit for ruining RVGS. "If it hadn't been for those stupid old guys who are still playing a console from the 70s, we'd be fine!"

How much stuff have we supported Parrothead on over the years? GTFO, makes me sorry I was still trying to defend him up thread.

• Like 3

My big question, that no one is bringing up, is what happened to Mike's attempt at taking on Gamestop and other "used game stores"? I remember quite well about him launching a game service that would pay the original publishers a percentage of the sale price for their old games that this "Gamestop killer" processed. They advertised they would be paying more than Gamestop for games too. Anyone remember that?

Or this, um, failure:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/756513245/intellivision-gen2-video-games-for-pc-and-mac?ref=nav_search

Found a news article for that online store, guess it never got up and running either:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/01/parcel-gamer-wants-to-share-used-game-profits-with-publishers/

Just some food for thought here.

That is the most asinine concept I've ever heard of. As the owner of some other "used game store", let me explain how used games work. Customer brings in games to "trade in" (IE: sell us). We give them money for these products. The customer walks away with money, we the retailer assume all the risk to now attempt to resell these games to other consumers. At no point does the initial game developer assume any risk in the secondhand sale of the games. Since the retailer assumed full risk (giving out money for product), they deserve full reward if the game does happen to sell secondhand.

• Like 5

This whole fiasco would make an awesome episode of Law & Order. The character based on John Carlsen would end up dead during the show's cold open. A character based on Kevtris would have a bigger role, and it would be made to seem like a much bigger deal that he got squeezed out of the project (like he was counting on all that money for something), so that he was the guy who everyone initially assumed was the murderer. In the end, the big-hearted and fun-loving character based on Mike Kennedy would turn out to be the the real murderer. And that "prototype" video would be part of the show, the way John keeps nervously looking off-screen, because since he's dead, no one knows who he's looking at off-screen.

Edit: You know how Law & Order often has a "guest star" who no one has seen in a while play a major role in the episode? Bust this: Mike Kennedy is played by John Goodman. BOOM. Noah Wylie could be the John Carlson Character. Maybe DJ Qualls as Kevtris? Maybe I'll do a GoFundMe campaign to see if I can get like a year's salary for me to write this up, full-time.

Double Edit: Albert will be brought on as an executive producer since this is his site, and Triverse will be a technical consultant to make sure that we get the story straight.

x5xun8.jpg

• Like 1

@triverse: that's sweet! I need to get into doing Pearlers...

I want to bring up an interesting post by Brian Parker or RetroUSB aka Bunnyboy regarding the expense of creating a prototype. The injection molds for the AVS was the most expensive part. RetroVGS already has this done. Nothing else is even remorely close to the $100s of thousands of dollars they claim to need.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here goes...
AVSdev.jpg
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1876&catid=7&threadid=92557

Made a quick pict as a rebuttal to RVGS. Lines up with the numbers from kevtris, which is expected because we aren't trying to inflate everything to get more cash There are plenty more proto boards and 3d prints, I need someone to write a book... http://www.retrousb.com/images/AV...

And working proto:

AVSdev2.jpg

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 6

I have a real Kickstarter going now- I mean, I know you said a mock one but what about a real one? lol

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/carlwilliams/3d-perler-bead-gaming-scenes

That's actually pretty cool!

I backed it. The total with shipping came out the $13 so I added $1 to make it $14. There's only one superstition I believe and it's the number "13"

Dear Mike and team,

Please consider following these steps. I'm sure there are plenty more steps that could be added or more things to consider, but anyway...

1. Cancel the crowdunding campaign. It is becoming more laughable as time goes on, and nothing you do in the short term will fix this.

That's enough for me. Do you really want to hear anything else from these jackasses, after seeing what they're capable of?

• Like 1

Was that you, StopDrop? Thank you man. Shoot me a PM or something (so we don't derail this thread, if that is possible) and let me know what you want. I make that stuff all the time (I am finishing a 3D Space Harrier 3D now- it is HUGE since it is one bead to one pixel- awesome as hell seeing it in person though). That Kickstarter was just to see if I could drum up some more business. We are planning on adding that stuff to Retro Gaming Magazine in a "store" like area soon.

• Like 1

Torn between catching up on new posts or watching the new restoration Blu-Ray copy of 'Manos - The Hands of Fate', which just came in the post today. One of the better KickStarter projects I've helped support. ;)

An interesting juxtaposition, RVGS and Manos. I get the impression that Mike Kennedy is the Harold "don't worry, we can fix everything in post-production" Warren of classic gaming. I'd say go with Manos. It's not as if the RVGS campaign is in danger of catching fire anytime soon.

@triverse: that's sweet! I need to get into doing Pearlers...

I want to bring up an interesting post by Brian Parker or RetroUSB aka Bunnyboy regarding the expense of creating a prototype. The injection molds for the AVS was the most expensive part. RetroVGS already has this done. Nothing else is even remorely close to the $100s of thousands of dollars they claim to need.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here goes...

AVSdev.jpg

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1876&catid=7&threadid=92557

And working proto:

AVSdev2.jpg

I think that as has already been posited by someone else, the majority of the "prototyping" money may actually be going to pay for legal fees associated with getting patents for John Carlsen's "inventions".

• Like 5

That was my reaction, too. The RGB/VGA boards are sitting on their "workbench", not covered up by anything (as they might be if they were a "leftover" from an earlier stage of the project), and one of them even has wires plugged into it, so they're obviously being used for something. I just can't imagine what, if their "prototype" produces the outputs that they claim it does (and assuming it isn't really a PC hiding somewhere off-camera).

For the other parts on the dinning table I think they just got a bunch of random parts to make it look like some work was being done. It might not even have anything to do with this project.

John really doesn't look comfortable in the video, like he has been forced to make the video.

• Like 2

This had better be the intro to the next CGQ.

Gentlegamer, PLS. I am keeping the foul smell of the Retro VGS as far away from my beloved YouTube Channel as possible.

This post brought to you by Classic Gaming Quarterly and the Classic Gaming Quarterly family of intellectual products.

• Like 4

For the other parts on the dinning table I think they just got a bunch of random parts to make it look like some work was being done. It might not even have anything to do with this project.

John really doesn't look comfortable in the video, like he has been forced to make the video.

You're probably right about the RGB/VGA boards simply being "props". It's amazing that, after the "year of hard work" that they claim to have put into this project, they still have so little to show that they would feel the need to use props in a video of this kind. Others have identified most of the remaining boards on that "workbench", and they seem to amount to about $140 worth of off-the-shelf hardware. They must be spending all their money on patent lawyers for some mysterious reason. (I hope that triverse's upcoming interview addresses the whole patent issue because it still makes no sense to me.)

I assumed that he was simply camera-shy, but now I think you're right about his being forced into it. I hate to say this, but it almost has the ambiance of a hostage video.

• Like 1