IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

What does "offer a system that performs more like a PlayStation 3 than a Raspberry Pi 2" mean?

If I'd had to wager a guess, I'd say that was some internal swing / pissing contest thing. It probably also shows he's still in that 90's mentality where "faster" solves most problems. Realistically, I think a Raspberry Pi 2 is more than enough juice for their needs and it's also dirt cheap. I'd like to know more what they've learned about their target audience, than their technical stuff at this point tbh,

(I used to have a PM with that 90s UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE mentality. Always wanted the latest and greatest.. forcing us to basically bug test for the provider, lol.)

• Like 1

Unnecessary ding at kevtris (and Pipercub?) is unnecessary?

Seems like it. If you listen to the Carl Williams interview, Carlsen was really upset about all the FPGA/hardware core talk. He repeatedly stepped over Steve and Mike to give answers that conflicted with the other guys on the subject.

What does "offer a system that performs more like a PlayStation 3 than a Raspberry Pi 2" mean?

Got me, I personally think he's referring to the final product being a polished one in a retail box, vs. something like MiST being sold as a hobby kit.

Carlsen seemed very annoyed in that interview, saying that all core emulation would be done in the primary ARM processor, not FPGA.

• Like 4

Carlsen seemed very annoyed in that interview, saying that all core emulation would be done in the primary ARM processor, not FPGA.

Well, there was one thing I agreed with him, that an FPGA could do much more than just emulation (although I haven't got any proof or hands-on experience...). Edited by roland p
  • Like 1

I have to say, after reading this I think anyone would be a fool to put money towards any project these guys did in the future. They honestly seem to think they ran a good campaign and it was only through outside intervention they were brought down. They are deluded.

Seriously, this flabbergasts me.

Well, we might keep in mind this was from the guy who left the team and may not represent the current views of the other two members.

At least, I hope the other two learned. Probably just wishful thinking on my part. ;)

• Like 1

I called it first!! I win a no-price,yes?

/Nicholas

You called it first? I thought I did? :) And I win a...Nostalgia SH-IT????

In all seriousness, the post yesterday from Mike after the obvious disagreement amongst themselves in the interview pretty much confirmed Carlsen was out!

Remember; don't dogpile even tho' the craziness keeps going on and a former member of the team is taking shots. DON'T DOGPILE.

Seriously... could this have been any more of a cluster? What will the reorganized version be like? Unfathomable.

Okay, let me clarify. It's fine to criticize Retro VGS or the team members involved. I am not defending their actions at all (far from it), but I think we can discuss this without being mean-spirited and name calling just for the sake of name calling.

..Al

• Like 10

Seems that major amount delusion is still apply to (ex-) RVGS members.

Together, we learned a lot, both good and bad. We learned how to offer high-quality, modern games on high-performance cartridges for reasonable prices. We learned how we could offer a system that performs more like a PlayStation 3 than a Raspberry Pi 2 for only a negligible difference in price. [..] Over time, we learned each others’ strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, we also learned that outsiders would fraudulently claim to be part of our team and accept credit for our work, sometimes while defaming it and us in the process.

Learned how to offer, yes. How to deliver, no. A system that performs more like empty promises than any of the named products, by price of the both combined plus extra - and that's for a special price. Seriously, I can easily get Pi 2 and PS3 here for $260, new from a shop.

And the last part about 'outsiders', I just wonder who would even want to be a member of this team.

Edited by Shiru

I have to say, after reading this I think anyone would be a fool to put money towards any project these guys did in the future. They honestly seem to think they ran a good campaign and it was only through outside intervention they were brought down. They are deluded.

Seriously, this flabbergasts me.

Agreed. The unprofessionalisim, and ego on display here is staggering. Most people try to save face with a positive farewell when leaving a project/job/campaign. John seems truly content to dump gas on any remaining bridges, toss a match, and walk off.
  • Like 9

I'm just amazed how quickly Steve learned to use forums and social media. It was pretty clear that Carlsen was out of the picture after he went full radio silence on Facebook. I can only assume that John will go on to develop a 'Small Playstation 4' now. I did not expect the team to look like this for round two. I would have put money on it being Mike and John vs the world of troll haters.

So, now that they've lost John's precious prototype and amazing patent pending dreams, what's left? Are we back to having a card board mock up pcb in a jag shell with a wii pro controller? Tiny Knight, Knight's Chance, ROM, Tower of Flight, Songbringer, and the Kickstarter funded Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death as confirmed games? Not to mention the hand full of pending games that may or may not be pending after how long this new campaign launches. Piko was cut before the IGG even went up and NG:Dev team bailed out the day before the IGG plug was pulled (well, it can't be pulled since IGG doesn't let you cancel campaigns like Kickstarter does).

I really don't think there is going to be a second go around of this poor abortion of a console. I've been wrong about things before though.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/john-carlsen/retro-vgs-news-from-john/10153662213057520

Edited by InnovaX5

Look there's plenty of gamers who literally hate Microsoft and/or Sony, yet they still buy their gaming products. If RVGS returns with something that people want, they'll buy it.

Sure they will. Look at Hyperkin - they sold tons of garbage clone consoles. What I'm saying is, I don't think Mike and Steve and their new Mystery Man will ever produce anything to sell. Just like Mike said, 'its that simple'.

• Like 1

Well, we might keep in mind this was from the guy who left the team and may not represent the current views of the other two members.

At least, I hope the other two learned. Probably just wishful thinking on my part. ;)

There are many ways one could leave a team. "You can't fire me, I quit!" is one way.

• Like 3

Agreed. The unprofessionalisim, and ego on display here is staggering. Most people try to save face with a positive farewell when leaving a project/job/campaign. John seems truly content to dump gas on any remaining bridges, toss a match, and walk off.

I think he thinks he is being clever with his very carefully chosen words.

• Like 1

I think he thinks he is being clever with his very carefully chosen words.

I'm sure that he's pissed at his ex-partners' inability to see his true genius in being able to cost-reduce the hardware spec down into only being 3 times the end-user-cost of an Ouya for the same performance.

They were blind fools!

But on the positive side, it's a new "designer" credit for his resume, and now that he knows how to install-and-run linux on a manufacturer's development board, he's going to be unstoppable!

Edited by elmer
  • Like 1

We probably won't really know what went on behind closed doors. My gut tells me Carlsen was the issue from the beginning as he constantly seemed to have a different opinion than Mike and Steve and would get frustrated when they talked about things he wasn't doing. His blog post or whatever was very odd when he was saying things like, "well I don't tell Mike everything I'm doing!" My guess is he had an idea of what he wanted to build and it was much different from the machine Mike wanted to build. I wonder what came first: cancelling the indiegogo or John leaving the team. I'm also pretty curious as to whether all the corporate crap like "well we need salaries, and offices, and patents!" all came from Carlsen. It'll be very interesting if RVGS is able to secure another hardware guy and things actually develop from that.

I don't know John Carlsen and I'm not particularly familiar with his work but overall I was really unimpressed with how he handled himself in this matter.

• Like 9

The lack of an apology from Mike Kennedy is pretty telling. John Carlsen liked to harp on how much this project has drained his bank account. This being said, I doubt he left the project out of his sheer will. If you view Carlsen's blog/post as burning down the house because he was fired, its a pretty tame post. Still, he adds salt to wounds and digs a deeper hole for the RVGS team that is left standing.

I doubt any of us will ever know what happened. Seeing how cloak and dagger they've been the entire IGG campaign, I doubt Kennedy will shed any light on this. Maybe one of the people who claim to have inside information and frequent these forums can shed some light on the matter? I'm looking at you Roberta ;)

I think they will contact you with a license, I don't work for them but it just I think they will and also "strip" this system to the point that I will not work with them and the money I get refunded will go to a neo geo omega system but there are so many pirate carts on ebay and the neo geo games that were to be on this RVG system will "i think" stripped to low quality.. Im still a fan but I feel f**k and now I can't post what I know because my info is no more, I also don't like the post they made and it was deleted since it was part of my post but some one here seen it posted it i think.. Im not happy I wanted to make games and I guess I will do it the old way and have it on Atariage carts but the games I wanted to make were a mix of Commodore / apple and not atari 2600 code.

• Like 3

I'm not sure any of them should have been in front of a microphone -- at least before they had a working prototype and contracts with game developers.

I still don't begrudge Carlsen for not wanting to tell Kennedy everything, since the latter had no filter and would apparently take an idea and go into full-blast-promotion-mode with it. Kennedy's probably a fine salesman when he's not speaking in the realm of ideas and "maybes". And, in what little I've heard from him, Woita struck me as someone who just wants to do his work but often seemed overshadowed by the other two.

We are doing a lot of guessing and extrapolating from the public statements of these guys. It would be interesting to read a postmortem of the whole project, the inside scoop, but it would be difficult to get an objective view of what happened behind closed doors. I don't see that happening anytime soon, but if the players choose to tell all, this 137-page-long popcorn thread will get another boost!

• Like 6

None of them seemed to be entirely on the same page. In what was a telling "bookend" if you will, the original IGG intro video was just plain bizarre. They seemed to have slightly different visions for the product, and the Williams interview to close was the most disjointed of all, where John and Steve kept correcting Mike and each other. Now some might view Carlsen as being arrogant or whatnot, but you have to understand that his career has been in the private gaming business. Clearly he wanted to operate as he did for several decades in the retail environment, where he was allowed to work in secret on the hardware, with limited interference from the sales/marketing people. Honestly I don't think there is much of a "behind closed doors" story here. Woitka seemed to be more in it for game development, as well as his industry contacts. Carlsen seemed to be the guy calling the hardware shots, both in terms of design and how/where it would be made. Mike provided the public arm, and I figure went along with them, since he has no experience on the subject.

• Like 3