IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Oh God. So now they're dragging the Coleco name into this mess!! Coleco name on an Atari shell with a crap Wii controller. The RetroVGS is a like a black hole that just keeps sucking things in.

.....If we slap on enough branding that people will recognize, then surely the consumer will associate us with quality?

P.S if you haven't seen the new Star Wars yet, why are you on a forum. Get out there and go and see it

• Like 1

.....If we slap on enough branding that people will recognize, then surely the consumer will associate us with quality?

P.S if you haven't seen the new Star Wars yet, why are you on a forum. Get out there and go and see it

At this stage I'm nearly expecting the final name to be the Coleco Chameleon Neo-Geo DreamCast 2 Ultra 64. Plus I can't wait to play 32-bit "styled" games since they've aged so well ;)

I haven't seen Star Wars; no ticket and all booked up. Will wait until it quietens down.

• Like 2

Wow, this thread keeps on giving. I guess that branding won't hurt, this certainly got my attention (if not my money). There's nothing posted on the Colecovision Holdings Twitter or Coleco.Vision website. It would be funny (to me) if RVGS just posted these rendered images as "what ifs" without Coleco's permission.

• Like 2

Oh God. So now they're dragging the Coleco name into this mess!! Coleco name on an Atari shell with a crap Wii controller. The RetroVGS is a like a black hole that just keeps sucking things in.

I like to imagine that this is just Atari finally getting its revenge on Coleco. They made the Module 1 for the Colecovision to screw over Atari, so now it's the Atari Jag shell's turn to drag Coleco's name through the mud.

Yeah, because if there's any brand out there that today's consumers can associate with anything it's Coleco, right? Just today I saw a post where some kid was claiming that Sony doesn't have a reputation for making cutting edge breakthrough electronic devices. Holy hell, don't they teach anything in schools these days!!??

And no, I haven't seen Star Wars, I'm waiting for Monday or Tuesday when the crowds die down, don't spoil anything.

Is anyone going to that toy fair?

• Like 6

I like to imagine that this is just Atari finally getting its revenge on Coleco. They made the Module 1 for the Colecovision to screw over Atari, so now it's the Atari Jag shell's turn to drag Coleco's name through the mud.

Yeah, because if there's any brand out there that today's consumers can associate with anything it's Coleco, right? Just today I saw a post where some kid was claiming that Sony doesn't have a reputation for making cutting edge breakthrough electronic devices. Holy hell, don't they teach anything in schools these days!!??

And no, I haven't seen Star Wars, I'm waiting for Monday or Tuesday when the crowds die down, don't spoil anything.

Is anyone going to that toy fair?

The Atari plot idea is funny

It would take an evil person to spoil Star Wars for another. All I am going to say is that it is good and nothing more.

The more I think about it I can't help but imagine Mike digging through the graves of past consoles in RetroLand for whatever he can use. All that's missing is a bad sampled "rise from your grave" though we all know it's just going to edn with "welcome to your doom".

I wouldn't be surprised if they've liscenced the Coleco name; after all there have been a couple of cheap plug'n'play Coleco units one of which only played Sega Master System games. Clearly they'll stick that name on anything. Personally I believe if you're going to use the name then you better show it respect and do it right. They didn't with the Jag and I doubt they'll do it with the

Given Mike Kennedy's friendship with Keith Robinson I'm surprised it's not an Intellivision unit.

I wonder if they'll have a working prototype at the Toy Fair. If it's going to be a cheap arm unit then there's no reason why not...

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if they've liscenced the Coleco name; after all there have been a couple of cheap plug'n'play Coleco units one of which only played Sega Master System games. Clearly they'll stick that name on anything. Personally I believe if you're going to use the name then you better show it respect and do it right. They didn't with the Jag and I doubt they'll do it with the
I wonder if they'll have a working prototype at the Toy Fair. If it's going to be a cheap arm unit then there's no reason why not...

The name is owned by River West Brands, and you're almost undoubtedly correct, they'll license it to anything and probably worked out a deal with Mike.

According to Retro VGS' press statement they will have a demo at the toy fair.

Trabuco Canyon, CA (PR) – December 17, 2015 Video-game industry pioneer COLECO re-enters the market, partnering with Retro Video Game Systems, Inc., to introduce a new, modern-day video-game system called the COLECO Chameleon.

COLECO Chameleon is a versatile new video-game system that serves as a modern day take on the classic game console and will accurately play classic games from the past. The COLECO Chameleon also has the ability play brand-new games in the 8-, 16- and 32-bit styles, a growing and popular genre in today’s game scape.
Chris Cardillo, a partner in COLECO said, "Mark [Thomann] and I are excited to work hand-in-hand with Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. in the launch of the COLECO Chameleon. It's ironic that a new ‘retro’ video-game system would actually revolutionize and revitalize the COLECO brand."
And, for the first time in nearly 20 years, the COLECO Chameleon will once again play brand new games on long-lasting, durable cartridges that can be played, traded, and collected for a lifetime. And all game cartridges will include high quality, plastic clamshell cases with illustrated instruction manuals and game developer liner notes.
Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. President Mike Kennedy adds, “The COLECO Chameleon is a love-letter to all the classic cartridge based gaming systems that came before it and we love the fact it will succeed COLECO’s successful Telstar and Colecovision product lines. It will take gamers and their families back to a simpler time where games were all about great gameplay and fun factor.”
The COLECO Chameleon will launch in early 2016 and will also be demonstrated at Toy Fair New York 2016, February 13-16.

If anyone's in the area or knows anyone in the area I'll gladly help front the cost of attendance if you can provide us with video and photos of the event. PM me if you're interested.

Edit: damn it, public is not allowed. Still, the offer stands for anyone who can get in.

Edited by StopDrop&Retro

Coleco... name doesn't really resonate with me on any level. Maybe that's because I'm not from the US, I dunno.

Is it a triforce of failures?

Just today I saw a post where some kid was claiming that Sony doesn't have a reputation for making cutting edge breakthrough electronic devices. Holy hell, don't they teach anything in schools these days!!??

hah, I saw that, some people's views are more than a little clouded by their inner feels. Not something that could just be excused due to being too young to know better.

• Like 2

I'm not at all convinced by the Coleco branding or it's reach, but I think bringing a working demo to a toy expo is a good move. Get the price under $150 and bundle the system with a load of Coleco games built-in and it might get some retailers interested.

Perhaps they could work with Intllivision/Sega/AtGames/SNK playmore to produce licensed compilation rom carts to run on an android emulator. Of course I don't mean they should start talking about so called contacts producing new content. These companies have shown they will licence their content fairly readily, but will have no interest in developing anything new for this system.

You have to laugh at the whole "this is the successor to the Colecovision" bit though. This couldn't be further from the original Coleco family if it tried.

Edit: Actually the price will probably need to be well under $100 to garner much retailer interest. Anything higher will be a retail shelf risk and things like the Sega Genesis Classic Console already have the whole cartridge slot/on-board games collection done for a bigger brand at a much lower price.

Edited by IrishNerdLife
  • Like 2

Coleco... name doesn't really resonate with me on any level. Maybe that's because I'm not from the US, I dunno.

I'm from the US, and I could care less about Coleco.

The same people that threw money at the last RVGS will throw money at this. People never learn.

The more I think about it I can't help but imagine Mike digging through the graves of past consoles in RetroLand for whatever he can use. All that's missing is a bad sampled "rise from your grave" though we all know it's just going to edn with "welcome to your doom".
Given Mike Kennedy's friendship with Keith Robinson I'm surprised it's not an Intellivision unit.

River West Brands is "a brand acquisition and enterprise development company," which means, yes, they effectively acquire and hold IPs for the sole purpose of licensing. As far as I know, they've never actually produced anything themselves, but leave that up to whoever licenses a particular IP in their stable.

Intellivision Productions not only holds various IPs, but also actively produces product, both alone and in partnership with others. As such, it's not surprising that it would be River West who would be the easiest company to get a notable brand name from to put on there. I'm sure if it were Intellivision Productions, it would be more of a partnership than anything else, and I would imagine they wouldn't necessarily want to be in that particular business. If the "Coleco Chameleon" does make it to market, though, I would imagine we'd see at least some of the more modern day uses of Intellivision IP like the Gen2 stuff appear on the system.

There are a few key industry shows at the beginning of the year where you need to shop your upcoming products to big box retailers in order to get them to bite for possible distribution later in the year. It will be interesting to see what comes of it. As others have indicated in this thread, if you go after big box toy retailers, it's VERY hard to get shelf space for anything above a $50 price point, so we'll see how that works out for them.

• Like 8

"COLECO's on board, guys! What COLECO games do YOU like best?"

or

"Man, the Retro VGS was a bomb! We have to rebrand it to trick the remaining consumers!"

Just bizarre. And disingenuous. The term "Chameleon" still implies that it will be able to play other games. I wonder if that's even on the cards.

Edited by dj_convoy
  • Like 1

The name is owned by River West Brands, and you're almost undoubtedly correct, they'll license it to anything and probably worked out a deal with Mike.

According to Retro VGS' press statement they will have a demo at the toy fair.

If anyone's in the area or knows anyone in the area I'll gladly help front the cost of attendance if you can provide us with video and photos of the event. PM me if you're interested.

Edit: damn it, public is not allowed. Still, the offer stands for anyone who can get in.

Coleco on RetroVGS

A Return to the Golden Age of Gaming

Hang around an older video-game fan long enough and they'll tell you of a time long ago when getting a new game was an event in and of itself. Be it cracking open the shrink-wrap and catching a whiff of that "new game smell," pouring over the details and illustrations in the game manual, or just taking your cartridges over to a friend's house, these experiences are all but lost in an age of digital downloads and corporate cost-cutting measures.

The COLECO Chameleon aims to bring these experiences back to the modern age by creating a platform that treats video games as more than just software and eliminates some of the biggest frustrations with modern day gaming:

Durable, long-lasting physical cartridges. As long as you have the cartridge, you have the game!
High-quality boxes, instruction manuals, and other supplemental materials that make each title a collector's item worthy of a space on your shelf.

No lengthy system updates: just plug in your cartridge and start playing!

What does this even mean? "Eliminates some of the biggest frustrations with modern day gaming?" I don't know about you, but I don't need to hold a cartridge in my hand to "have a game," because I've developed the concept of object permanence in my brain. The words "supplemental materials that make each title a collector's item" make me think this is a transitional era we will remember as a time when people would overpay for cheap swag because they liked the plastic and paper crap to collect. Lengthy system updates? So, updating software has been so burdensome that we need to go back to radio tubes? Has it really come to that?

Here's the optional storage module.

1980 hard drive

• Like 5