IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Update: the FB page now shows the Coleco version of the RVGS... And the Kickstarter logo. So they're going to have to put up or shut up pretty soon this time around.

Wow, so not only is "Coleco" going to try and sell this into retail, but they still expect people to pay for the development and production through Kickstarter? I had a slight hope this morning that this meant that they weren't going to go after individuals to try and fund this monstrosity and that "Coleco" would be picking up the development and initial production run tab to fulfill any retail orders they may get at the Toy Show. I guess that was too much to hope.

Edited by bojay1997
  • Like 2

I, too, am confused as fuck. Is this thing somehow "done"? Like how can they launch in early 2016, unless they mean the Kickstarter launches. Unless they've got the shit in production with Coleco funds and Kickstarter will be like pre-orders so they get all the profits instead of cutting retailers in?

• Like 1

Sadly, I don't think this kind of thing will ever stop. As we can see from the lazy press coverage of the Chameleon, there are already countless stories about "Coleco's new console" and "Coleco is back," etc., stating that it's an extension of the original company that gave us the ColecoVision and other vintage Coleco products. That type of thing has happened multiple times before any time the rights to a familiar name are snatched up and slapped on new product. Unfortunately, that's the type of free publicity and "innocent" consumer confusion that's EXACTLY the reason why you want to do that very thing, i.e., it's just good business if you're otherwise resource constrained to establish your own brand.

The average consumer doesn't have the time nor interest to sort out what's "real" and what's just necro-naming, and, as was stated, many of today's journalists on this-minute deadlines don't have the time to write from an informed position to help the public sort through the confusion.

My thoughts exactly. Some time ago a new cell phone by "Commodore" was announced as the "Commodore PET", with a cream-beige shell, logo and everything, invoking images of the legendary computer with the same name.

Many retro-computer blogs, commodore-fans and quite a few tech-related sites jumped on the bandwagon and hailed the great return of Commodore to consumer electronics with nothing less than a smartphone. A big seller for sure, catapulting Commodore back to relevance... or what?

Sure, it didnt take long for people to sober up and realize it was a generic no-name chinese phone with Commodores name and logo on it, bundled with some lazy C64 emulator. A product of brand licencing as much as this new wannabe "Coleco"-trainwreck of a console.

I am drifting off topic here, but i think this is a pathetic excuse to save this sinking ship and get some relevance to it again and at best an insult to Colecovision and Atari fans alike.

A console playing emulators and "8-32 bit style games" in a Jaguar case painted with Colecos name and logo, controlled by rejected generic 3rd party Wii-U controllers. Please... make it stop...

Edited by Raticon
  • Like 9

Where was this stated? Last time I checked, this is illegal.

Isn't the Retron 5 and Neo Geo X just emulation machines?

As for the name, luckily name recognition is becoming less prevalent. We've gotten used to seeing Polaroid on so many strange things that many consumers know classic names often mean cheap crap that no real company wanted to be a party to.

Of course there will always be suckers.

I for one am still a little hopeful for them though. Perhaps that makes me the sucker.

• Like 1

Where was this stated? Last time I checked, this is illegal.

Well, in the press release they state, quote:

"COLECO Chameleon is a versatile new video-game system that serves as a modern day take on the classic game console and will accurately play classic games from the past. The COLECO Chameleon also has the ability play brand-new games in the 8-, 16- and 32-bit styles, a growing and popular genre in todays game scape."

That is a finer term for playing games with a good emulator. "Accurately" playing older games is a term only ever used when discussing emulators, as original hardware is always 100% "accurate". I have obly this to go on, but you need some kind of emulation to handle everything between 8 to 32 bits, if you are not putting 3 different systems inside that shell running side by side of course...

Then again, emulators themselves arent illegal or necessarily bad by definition. There are tons of good emulators out there, but downloading roms to play on them is illegal if not authorized by the owner. Both the android store and apple store is filled with emulators that are perfectly legal. The roms are not.

• Like 2

This "Coleco" branding is such a load of bullshit. There is no doubt now that this is a cash grab, Mike is not a retro gaming enthusiast.

Can we please refer to this console by another name? Maybe the CINO Chameleon (as in- Coleco In Name Only) or maybe the J. Fontaine Chameleon? (JFC for short??)

edit: hahaha, even better, Urban Dictionary says "JFC" is short for "Jesus Fucking Christ"

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 9

Then again, emulators themselves arent illegal or necessarily bad by definition. There are tons of good emulators out there, but downloading roms to play on them is illegal if not authorized by the owner. Both the android store and apple store is filled with emulators that are perfectly legal. The roms are not.

Yes, but the authors of emulators, do not allow for sale of said emulators.

And I don't care who else is breaking the law (both of the ones mentioned are probably shielded because they are produced in China), you could have 5-10 authors of emulators suing your pants off. Which is why I kind of not commented on that guy with the mini-arcade crowd funding gig.

I don't think I have put this out there before, but "famous" Ian Bogost wrapped his "game" in Stella and sold it, I think he got away with it so far.

I just seriously hope Mike is not going down this road, because there are obviously a bunch of people out there who wish him ill.

• Like 2

this has gotten so silly and ridiculous that i dont know if i even have the verbiage to make fun of it anymore. where to even start, holy shit. are they going to hire someone to do adequate pr for this unit, the two things i read them write is the most recycled and rudimentary faff you could write about a console in 2016. then again, is that par for the course or what. if it succeeds and has some ok games, then all of this ridiculousness, i guess, will be worth it. just to get an idea of the timeline of all this, when was the proposed idea for retrovgs launched, at least to the public? theres been so many shady changes that havent been really hit on and articles like wikipedia where you'd think you'd find that seems to be in purgatory right now. i was trying to think back in the line of events, but im not even talking about when the jag molds initially, there was a bit of talk for a few months before that it seems like. what a mess, what a preposterous mess. all that text on their webpage ESPECIALLY, black on black for the win huh? what the hell is that about even?

• Like 2

this has gotten so silly and ridiculous that i dont know if i even have the verbiage to make fun of it anymore. where to even start, holy shit. are they going to hire someone to do adequate pr for this unit, the two things i read them write is the most recycled and rudimentary faff you could write about a console in 2016. then again, is that par for the course or what. if it succeeds and has some ok games, then all of this ridiculousness, i guess, will be worth it. just to get an idea of the timeline of all this, when was the proposed idea for retrovgs launched, at least to the public? theres been so many shady changes that havent been really hit on and articles like wikipedia where you'd think you'd find that seems to be in purgatory right now. i was trying to think back in the line of events, but im not even talking about when the jag molds initially, there was a bit of talk for a few months before that it seems like. what a mess, what a preposterous mess. all that text on their webpage ESPECIALLY, black on black for the win huh? what the hell is that about even?

I would offer to do PR for them (I own my own PR company) but I figure that would be a conflict of interest (considering I am nearing 125 hours spent covering this fiasco so far). I can say one thing, that press release they have on their site- I would have NEVER sent that to a client, let alone released it. That is not a press release, that is an advertisement with a quote from someone the fans have no clue who they are.

If I had done the press release, I would have addressed the history of the console (they are probably wanting to avoid the IndieGoGo so just focus on development), mentioned just a few of the titles that are confirmed as coming (such as Adventures of Tiny Knight- unless there are no games coming at this time) and I would have better addressed the situation with Coleco Holdings rather than let people run wild with accusations and hyperbole (unless that is what they wanted, which they got).

• Like 3

http://www.gamezone.com/news/colecovision-creators-are-working-on-a-new-cartridge-based-console-3431253

This article made me laugh...'mildly successful' release?...is that what modern media think the Colecovision was? I beg to differ, but who am I to argue. It was a huge success, IMO. Who didn't love the CV back in the day?...were sales 'mild' in comparison to the VCS?...that's just goofy thinking, but whatever.