IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Hold on, let me check ...... NOPE I AM NOT BACK ON THE PROJECT. And if you listen to the interview we did with them Steve runs through that UK Mike and I were there from the beginning while Socal Uhuhs. And I would not rejoin if asked. I don't know who he is referring to but it isn't the guy (ME) from the very beginning. Even in death this just keeps giving.

Scott, having you onboard would have made great strides in having my opinions swayed.

So, what does this mean for the future of RGR?

Since this was posted in the Modern Gaming section I missed on on the vast majority of this train wreck. I had moderate hopes for this system when I first heard about it some time ago but when tales of the price being doubled and really no real progress being made it took it off my radar, so to say. Can't believe there's been such a monumental shit storm created about this thing. Just watched the 2 part discussion by Pat (the NES punk ) and Ian on youtube and now can understand why it's ruffled so many feathers.

Um, nope, Roberta. Insert coin to play again:

Roberta Taber Whiting Sad that the retro will launch with some of the ideas on atariage and the members there are STILL saying that want this to fail !!!!

2 · 3 hrs · Edited

RETRO VGS We will be addressing and eliminating most of the concerns of this first go-around.

12 · 2 hrs

• Like 3

I was pretty surprised to see that they returned to reality so quickly (I figured they'd let it go another week at least). I am not sure what to think of the revamped version they spoke about. I suppose I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and at least try to evaluate it objectively if/when they relaunch it. But I agree with those who think they need to make some apologies and reconnect with the community, because I think their reputation is in danger of becoming unsalvageable if they don't. I also see this whole fiasco as an important moment in the retro gaming community. For years now, lot's of people have viewed us a mere demographic to which numerous unnecessary and shoddy products could be sold. There have been some diamonds in the rough, of course, but there have also been so many irritating cash grabs that I've lost count. I think the fate of the Retro VGS will show future "entrepreneurs" that they just can't assume that we'll buy something because it is "awesome" and "retro." We are instead a discerning bunch who will gladly support projects that improve the hobby, not just increase the value of a collector's portfolio. It seems like it is Kevtris' moment now....

• Like 4

I am not sure what to think of the revamped version they spoke about.

I'm right there with you. That promise has been made before.

From NeoGAF, 9/18/15 (the day before the IGG campaign launched)

Seriously, thanks to all of you over here whether you are for us or against us. We've learned a lot and factored much of this and what info we've received on Facebook into our design and engineered this down as much as possible to get it within a price many will be able to afford.

I think apologies are in order to the bigger names in the retro scene who were specifically called out, but it shouldn't be a public flogging. It's punishment enough that they've alienated themselves from those big voices and it's going to make conventions and events a very awkward affair.

I guess NintendoAge wasn't the only one that he mislead about the developers that he had on board with this systems. I wish his pie-in-the sky dreams were a reality, but it looks like nothing more than a "wouldn't it be neat if..." thought bubble. These ideas are pretty far from the reality of what could or would come to those who pumped money into the this crowdfunding campaign. I guess its up to everyone out there to figure out whether he outright fibbed to backers or potential backers, or just let his excitement get the better of him

Here is an interview listed as a link on the RETRO VGS website:

".... Kennedy: We’re talking to Yacht Club. It looks like there might be a chance — not 100 percent — but we’re talking about Retro City Rampage coming out on it, hopefully for launch. We’ve talked about some games already. ....

..... We’re trying to talk to some big-name publishers about bringing back old fan favorites on this thing, or sequels. That’s actually why I’m up here in San Francisco, meeting with a third party developer that’s done a lot of third-party development work for Sony and Capcom and Konami and Sega. We’ll be partnering with this group to lead our charge into those types of companies to work out licensing deals for some of these games that they haven’t monetized in 10-15-20 years. As you know, there’s a lot of games out there that people would love to see brought back. ..."

Pretty sure that second quote is about us (Digital Eclipse/Other Ocean). We never agreed to any kind of partnership, but I wouldn't exactly say this is misleading either, as we told Mike and Steve that we're totally open to providing software support if and when the numbers make sense (aka, we have reason to believe we'll make money). We gave them some ideas for cool things to do and wished them luck, is how I remember it going down.

Just wanted to throw that out there because while I think this campaign had a lot of issues, I have never believed Mike to be a scammer or an outright liar, and it's kind of upsetting to see people take that stance.

Edited by TheRedEye
  • Like 3

It may be a lot to ask, but it would be interesting to see a postmortem; something along the lines of Dead State's postmortem.

An example template:

Postmortem: The Retro Video Game System

Introduction

What Went Right

What Went wrong

Lessons We Learned

Conclusion

• Like 3

Once I fully recover from that 20+ hour transcription of the first interview, I will see about getting another interview in light of the early cancellation of the IndieGoGo, what their future plans are and all of that stuff. Much like my first interview, I will do my best to remain neutral. Not sure there will be a transcription of this one though.

• Like 6