IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

The name is owned by River West Brands, and you're almost undoubtedly correct, they'll license it to anything and probably worked out a deal with Mike.

Because HUNDREDS of people demonstrated interest in their last attempt to revive it (apart from the Flashback console, which I kinda like for what it is).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rantmediagames/colecovision

I'm curious what they mean by 8-32 bit styles. Does that mean 32 bit like 32X or like Saturn? Or are they basically saying it can run all the common indie pixel games which still are a few hundred MB.

I'm betting it's just like someone else said, they want to put Colecovision games built in to appeal to consumers, which in its own right would be an easier idea to swallow the price point if that's the case. If not... then I don't get it. I know if I was making my own console, crowd funded or not, I wouldn't wanna slap another company's license on that bitch. WIth the Colecovision Flashback already out there, though. On the flipside, say it did come with a Colecovision Flashback controller that plugged into the system, it could be a draw for all the retro gamers out there who have never used a Colecovision before. Not that it's so giant audience, but if I'm on the fence, it's a nice selling point. Most retro gamers don't own a Colecovision or a Colecovision Flashback, so there's at least that in it for a consumer. If it raised the price any, though, it's useless.

Irony is, if it does included games built in, we now have non-physical titles propping up the value of the mighty physical cartridge console. I'm not complaining (as a potential consumer, I will take every bang for my buck I can get), it's just ironic. Unless they pop the Colecovision games on a multicart... which pretty much is a waste of a cartridge and money that could go into something else, but whatever.

Indiebox partnership incoming? ;)

If these guys ruin IndieBox, I will fucking hate them forever,.. but I guess I did mention them doing something like IndieBox with their titles, so if they got that idea from me, I'm to blame.

I saw that not in me being so smart, just that this group is incapable of coming up with ideas on their own beside cartridges and the shell. Because no one else has a shell but them.

I'm curious what they mean by 8-32 bit styles. Does that mean 32 bit like 32X or like Saturn? Or are they basically saying it can run all the common indie pixel games which still are a few hundred MB.

It sounds like they're saying exactly the same thing they said about RVGS up until the day they asked for IGG money: Both emulation and retro-style indie games.

COLECO Chameleon is a versatile new video-game system that serves as a modern day take on the classic game console and will accurately play classic games from the past. The COLECO Chameleon also has the ability play brand-new games in the 8-, 16- and 32-bit styles, a growing and popular genre in today’s game scape.

I have a few questions, (not that I'm expecting answers but it'll be fun to speculate)

1) How come the Coleco renders look so.... shitty??

The original 3D renders look really nice, if any good came out of the first campaign it's that it really showed off what that guy they hired could do. These new ones look like Soviet propaganda. Were they not able to afford the guy anymore or did he leave the project too?

2) Is that a dust cover?

Speaking of the 3D render stuff, why did they add to the cartridge port? I think that might be a dust cover. They're probably trying to mimic the Colecovision's metal dust cover plate.

3) Why take out the "RETRO" branding?

This is the strangest one because their Facebook is still "Retro Video Game Systems, Inc." and their website is still retrovgs .com. Why would Mike distance himself from his magazine, his proudest [real] creation? You would think he wouldn't want to remove RETRO completely from the console itself. My speculation- RETRO magazine is shutting down. For its two years on the market it was only sustainable via Kickstarter and he would be a fool to go there a third time after the RVGS mess. I suspect it's going to quietly be bought out or shut down altogether. No point in having RETRO branding if there's no RETRO magazine.

There are a few key industry shows at the beginning of the year where you need to shop your upcoming products to big box retailers in order to get them to bite for possible distribution later in the year. It will be interesting to see what comes of it. As others have indicated in this thread, if you go after big box toy retailers, it's VERY hard to get shelf space for anything above a $50 price point, so we'll see how that works out for them.

Agreed, that's a big problem, the retailers they're eyeing probably have memories of the 2DS. I don't remember those flying off store shelves and that was a Nintendo handheld of all things.

i have been asked to Attend the show by Coleco. but i plan on taking video and such for The Colecovisions Podcast. i also have a interview scheduled with the current brand owner Chris Cardillo and the RetroVGS team.

Nice! I look forward to your coverage! I found out it's actually two shows in one, the Play Fair (13-14) and the Toy Fair (15-16). The Toy Fair will be closed to the public but the Play Fair is open, the RVGS team will be there for both. I'd still like to get some footage for myself so my offer still stands for anyone out there, if you'd like to make some money for very little work, send me a PM.

Indiebox partnership incoming? ;)

200.gif

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 3

I'm betting it's just like someone else said, they want to put Colecovision games built in to appeal to consumers, which in its own right would be an easier idea to swallow the price point if that's the case. If not... then I don't get it. I know if I was making my own console, crowd funded or not, I wouldn't wanna slap another company's license on that bitch. WIth the Colecovision Flashback already out there, though. On the flipside, say it did come with a Colecovision Flashback controller that plugged into the system, it could be a draw for all the retro gamers out there who have never used a Colecovision before. Not that it's so giant audience, but if I'm on the fence, it's a nice selling point. Most retro gamers don't own a Colecovision or a Colecovision Flashback, so there's at least that in it for a consumer. If it raised the price any, though, it's useless.

Irony is, if it does included games built in, we now have non-physical titles propping up the value of the mighty physical cartridge console. I'm not complaining (as a potential consumer, I will take every bang for my buck I can get), it's just ironic. Unless they pop the Colecovision games on a multicart... which pretty much is a waste of a cartridge and money that could go into something else, but whatever.

I see no evidence that this project has anything to do with the ColecoVision. It's no more a ColecoVision than the Telstar is.

• Like 2

People pretty much laid out a gameplan the RetroVGS guys needed to follow to have a viable product that classic gamers might actually take interest in. Changing the name and modifying the case like a child would with crayons was not one of those things.

I think Mike is just desperate now to get some money back for those Jag molds, even if that means the loss of any personal dignity he may have had left.

• Like 7

People pretty much laid out a gameplan the RetroVGS guys needed to follow to have a viable product that classic gamers might actually take interest in. Changing the name and modifying the case like a child would with crayons was not one of those things.

It still seems like a solution in search of a problem.

This is gold, Jerry, gold: "The COLECO Chameleon is a love-letter to all the classic cartridge based gaming systems that came before it".

• Like 2

WOW. So the RVGS team is now appropriating the Coleco name to try to make people forget their first embarrassing attempt at launching a console?

I'm not especially surprised that they went with Coleco: given the other shoddy "me-too" products that have borne the Coleco name in the past, River West Brands doesn't seem very selective about who they license it to. So they get a little extra licensing money, while the RVGS team gets to use a prominent brand to give this "new" console a veneer of credibility. Everybody wins ... except anyone stupid enough to invest in this thing.

• Like 6

I see no evidence that this project has anything to do with the ColecoVision. It's no more a ColecoVision than the Telstar is.

Well, the RVGS team would be dumb enough to license just the Coleco name and not the Colecovision games that would actually be a slight draw to the system. So, it wouldn't surprise me.

Nothing surprises me in Retroland, which is why it's so fun to see how shit plays out.

• Like 3

Wow. I don't even know where to start making fun of that.

How about "The new Coleco Chameleon will have the same level of high-quality hardware design as the famous Coleco Adam"? ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleco_Adam

This thing just took another lurch towards being what I've suspected for a while ... a $99 Christmas novelty product with pack-in games just like a cartridge version of those Jakks Pacific Atari Joystick or Atari Paddle games (or the current successors).

It's just going to be an under-powered BeagleBone-Black ARM system running an emulator, with the "experience" of changing cartridges being it's sole selling-point.

Edited by elmer
  • Like 1

WOW. So the RVGS team is now appropriating the Coleco name to try to make people forget their first embarrassing attempt at launching a console?

I'm not especially surprised that they went with Coleco: given the other shoddy "me-too" products that have borne the Coleco name in the past, River West Brands doesn't seem very selective about who they license it to. So they get a little extra licensing money, while the RVGS team gets to use a prominent brand to give this "new" console a veneer of credibility. Everybody wins ... except anyone stupid enough to invest in this thing.

The Coleco Sonic was pretty neat for what it was, back in 2005. It had 20 8-bit Sega games on it, and felt decent in the hand. It had nothing at all to do with Coleco, of course.

If "Coleco Chameleon" were a $40 handheld, I'd probably get it if it did anything remotely interesting. Unfortunately, Mike Kennedy is determined to mine all the gold out of them thar Atari Jaguar dental camera plastic molds he bought, so it's going to be some kind of stupid set-top-box.

Don't worry about any "investors" losing money in this, it's dead on arrival yet again.

• Like 4

I guess with the rainbow colors they're trying to evoke feelings of the orignal Colecovision, or something. Probably obvious to some of you, but I haven't even thought about that system in many years.

A hat-tip to Gamester81 for the pic:

attachicon.gifcolecovision1c1.jpeg

THIS is how you do a ColecoVision homage. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/245910-colecovision-flashback-upgrade-service/

• Like 7

Mike would have named it the Dreamcast 2 at this point if he had the money for the name deal. Ironic that the RETRO tag was dropped after the constant branding push that the console and the magazine would be extensions of one another. I liked the Colecovision itself and its expansion module 1. I hated the coleco controllers passionately, more so than I disliked the american 7800 controllers. I'm amazed it doesn't have an SNK Playmore branding on it. I'm sure if the NEOGEO X Gold wasn't such a failure, it very well would have. Coleco in my opinion is most likely a silver or bronze metal for the team.

I've seen this before though. Ironically enough Colectorvision acquired the Acclaim name recently. They branded their game Justice Beaver with it. I'm sure that Tiny Knight will have it slapped on as well or at least whatever port this monstrosity of a console sees. Sometimes its better to allow the companies of days past to rest in peace.

Furthermore...the Chameleon name was suggested by a fan on their Facebook page. Even better, it was from the fan hating the RETRO VGS name so much.

• Like 2