IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

I'm from a different camp because I've never really played Colecovision (malfunctioning controllers, old systems, I'm done with that) and haven't tried emulation yet because I'm worried about how the games will be without the number pad. I am surprised so many people are upset about Coleco being in the console name. I'm also dumbfounded why they'd change the name of THEIR console to something else unless something is in it for them on the backend. My first instinct was what someone posted here previously in that Colecovision games may be built in and that'd be a tremendous draw for me since I recently decided to get Intellivision and Colecovision Flashbacks in lieu of owning the actual consoles (though the lack of overlays almost makes me not want them, but cheap enough, whatever). Of course, this is just a guess, but I see no reason for them to partner with Coleco without getting all of their games onto that unit. So... yeah, it probably won't have any of those games. ;)

I thought the Coleco name would get them mocked like everything else they did, I didn't think people would actually be upset about it.

Also, according to the Retro VGS Twitter, it will be "significantly" more affordable than the first go around. So, that's a good thing. The Canadian exchange rate is so shit right now, it'd need to be low for me to get it.

Yes, but the authors of emulators, do not allow for sale of said emulators.

I'm a little out of me experience here but you have 3 choices. 1 is original hardware specs and no one does this, probably can't. Then you have hardware emulation which is was the RVGS hinted at, then contradicted, then re-hinted.

I would think this is some between hardware and software emulation. They haven't said that it will be a droid / linux OS. Mike was actually pretty big on not having a real OS at all, but he didn't seem to know what he was talking about.

Is it possible that they are using a custom built emulator for Colleco games? Have they even promised it will play older games? The releases I've read have been very vague.

I would offer to do PR for them (I own my own PR company) but I figure that would be a conflict of interest (considering I am nearing 125 hours spent covering this fiasco so far). I can say one thing, that press release they have on their site- I would have NEVER sent that to a client, let alone released it. That is not a press release, that is an advertisement with a quote from someone the fans have no clue who they are.

If I had done the press release, I would have addressed the history of the console (they are probably wanting to avoid the IndieGoGo so just focus on development), mentioned just a few of the titles that are confirmed as coming (such as Adventures of Tiny Knight- unless there are no games coming at this time) and I would have better addressed the situation with Coleco Holdings rather than let people run wild with accusations and hyperbole (unless that is what they wanted, which they got).

you said it...i almost consider it a deterrent or a detrimental thing to write that up and hope anyone would identify with it, they had a pretty good chance at maybe releasing some sort of definitive mission statement on this whole fiasco and cementing something if they woulda included some specs. really kind of dropped the ball, doesnt even look like they said anything on their facebook page yet other than pics even now...

You know what. I'll talk seriously here. I'm not sure what's going on. If there's someone who can come to Mike and talk to him, please do it. I think he doesn't realyze that reviving the Name of an old Company and slapping it on his console isn't a cool idea. This is just the Name licensed and thown in to atract People who don't know any better. There's nothing nice or nostalgic about this, even if the console does succeed and is a great console. The Chamaleon Name is pretty cool, but bringing Coleco into this just isn't fair to the community. Mike isn't making a Hommage, he's just shitting on the Nostalgia People actually have for the ColecoVision.

Is this how he wants to bring the fun back into gaming? Mike is using every single Marketing spin he can to push this Thing. He says there's a market for this out there, but if People actually want a cartridge based console, why not just make one and offer it? Should work by itself if demand is out there.

I won't say this went too far now, because this obviously went too far the day Mike bought the stupid moulds for the Jaguar. There's a reason no one else bought that bunch of junk. If he wants to Keep going at this over and over again, making a fool of himself and dragging his own Name through the mud until no one ever wants to hear about "that Mike guy" again it's his own premise. It's sad to see, but that's his own Problem. But he's seriously going to start pissing off People who would otherwise not even know who the hell he is.

What's going on here. Does he seriously think this is his retirement here? That this will make him huge Money? Is this for real? I know People around here know mike. Please explain. At this Point it's really hard to understand. I'm not kidding. If I was this guy's friend at all I'd be very worried about him, and trying to reach out and try to help. Maybe People have already done that the first time around and got shut off. Still. This is just messed up. I'm just considering he's not a simple moron with ilusions of Grandeur. Cause if he isn't there's somethjing else serious going on. But what do I know.

All that said, with all respect to all involved as People, I'm going back to covering this, and I'll be relentless and way more negative than first time around. I already said the reason above. This has gone from a new cartridge based console into the realm of straight up taking Advantage of gullible People. Slapping a known and loved Name on your shit product to fool People into buying it is one of the most disgusting practices in this indistry and one I've been fighting for a while. Now I have 0 reason to hold back at all. I have confidence that either These People are just crazy or they don't even care to begin with. Either way I'll do what I can to stop this.

My first coverage on this was very negative, but I actually tried to be as nice as possible. I gave the benefit of the doubt. I have no reason for that anymore. I'll just assume the worse, and they're going to have to prove themselves every step of the way. But who are we fooling. They have nothing to prove. They have nothing to Show, never have and never will. I take gaming seriously. As much as this Thing is hilarious in some moments, it's actually not funny to see this kinda Horror comming from People who call themselves Gamers. This isn't comming from some random suit guy who never gave a crap about this kiddy stupid games in the first place. This is comming from People inside the community. They shoul have known better.

• Like 6

It certainly is a nice looking console when in black. The rainbow colors are just something to behold.

I'm a man without conviction

I'm a man who doesn't know

How to sell a contradiction

You come and go, you come and go

Karma karma karma karma, karma chameleon

You come and go, you come and go

Loving would be easy if your colors were like my dream

Red gold and green, red gold and green

• Like 8

EDIT: FFS Schizophretard, lolol, I expect to be beaten by one minute posting on GAF, but not AA :lolblue: glad I didn't post lyrics as well now hehe
original post:
Leaked ad concept:
red-gold-greenlpoko.png

How about "Fauxleco"?

Sounds like some kind of miracle hair(piece) growth formula.
Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 8

EDIT: FFS Schizophretard, lolol, I expect to be beaten by one minute posting on GAF, but not AA :lolblue: glad I didn't post lyrics as well now hehe

I gave you plenty of time because after reading the name I have been having the song stuck in my head all day while making the connection with console shell colors, how the Coleco rainbow fades through red, gold, and green, and how it is like selling a contradiction. :D

Edited by Schizophretard
  • Like 4

I'm a man with an affliction

I'm a man who doesn't know

How to separate fact from fiction

The smart ones know, but not IndieGoGo-oh-oh-oooh

Cole-Cole-Cole-Coleco Chameleon

It'll come and go, then I'll try Neo-Geo-oh-oh-oooh

Funding would be easy if you didn't see through my cons

Red gold and green, gold silver and bronze

qoy1fv2uv7seqib7bj5i.png

• Like 8

Well, there is no reason to hold back this announcement: I am making a new retro game for the Coleco Chameleon! I haven't actually talked to Mime/Parrothead/Socal yet, but whatever.

The game is called "Tiny Shovel," and you are a tiny shovel. Evil trolls and haters and drunks are throwing shit everywhere, and you have to use a tiny shovel to clear it away in your quest for finding the truth. I have years of experience playing games, so I should be able to whip up a bug free code in Basic.

• Like 4

Why not all? It is a bit of a Frankenstein's monster.

like the photo of graves, just remember not to put in abby normal's brain in the monster LOL

:-D D'oh, you beat me to it.

tumblr_nnr5si9MGf1u7d8l2o1_500.jpg

• Like 3

You know what. I'll talk seriously here. I'm not sure what's going on. If there's someone who can come to Mike and talk to him, please do it.

Yeah, I can confirm that rational friends have tried that. It just doesn't matter at this point; I think the failure and the uncontrollable innate urge to make it work is all part of his identity at this point and he just can't get past it. Honestly, they should be calling this thing the Honey Badger instead of the Chameleon, because no matter what rational point you make about the futility of the project, Honey Badger just don't care.

• Like 6

I'm from a different camp because I've never really played Colecovision (malfunctioning controllers, old systems, I'm done with that) and haven't tried emulation yet because I'm worried about how the games will be without the number pad. I am surprised so many people are upset about Coleco being in the console name. I'm also dumbfounded why they'd change the name of THEIR console to something else unless something is in it for them on the backend. My first instinct was what someone posted here previously in that Colecovision games may be built in and that'd be a tremendous draw for me since I recently decided to get Intellivision and Colecovision Flashbacks in lieu of owning the actual consoles (though the lack of overlays almost makes me not want them, but cheap enough, whatever). Of course, this is just a guess, but I see no reason for them to partner with Coleco without getting all of their games onto that unit. So... yeah, it probably won't have any of those games. ;)

I thought the Coleco name would get them mocked like everything else they did, I didn't think people would actually be upset about it.

Also, according to the Retro VGS Twitter, it will be "significantly" more affordable than the first go around. So, that's a good thing. The Canadian exchange rate is so shit right now, it'd need to be low for me to get it.

You could say the same thing about owning and NES and it's finicky 72 pin.

The CV does need to be modded to make it more palatable to current gamers.

Yurkie does a really good job with CV mods and as a result, my CV is a daily driver.

It's a fun system that has tons of great games for it.

It's also a space saver due to the Atari Expansion, so I'm getting two consoles with a reduced footprint on the entertainment center.

We have more home-brew and indie titles for the system now than legacy releases. Some of them even have an NES feel to them like Princess Quest and Mecha-8.

The CV does have a very small, but passionate group of fans.

Mike Kennedy would be a sucker not to go after it.

Read about the 'Coleco Chameleon' on Gamasutra today and almost instantly barfed. Don't know when this became public knowledge on here but they're effectively redoing the same S.H.I.T. under the Coleco brand. If Coleco is smart, the run away from this thing as fast as possible. This has NOTHING to do with the original Coleco and is just another pitch with a different angle.

If this is their 'new console' I hope, and this might sound mean spirited, that it receives a similar treatment as the previous one.

-Mux

• Like 2