IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Do they realize in Retroland that "a really inviting price point" for... whatever the fuck this is... is $99.99 - $129.99, realistically? They destroyed their credibility the first go around, the only way to reel us in is with an offer we can't refuse. Sure, some people might pay $150+, but if there's no games, we're all fucked anyways, so it doesn't matter what those guys will pay for it. And games that would be $5 on Steam should not be more than $20 on cart, $30 CIB on the scale they need to be at. I love and hate this project because I think it can be done correctly, but it can't be done to line these guys' pockets because there's just not enough money to go around. Retro game collectors are the cheapest motherfuckers around and people like me who are with the times... at least up until 5 years ago, unlike a lot of others, they can't pull the wool over our eyes because anyone who has been to humblebundle.com knows what random games are worth these days. And without major franchise support, all we'll ever get is random games, many of which you will be able to get in bundles or Steam sales for $2 each with 3 months patience or have already been given away basically for free and are in people's collections and they'll see no need to pay money to upgrade an already pristine game... that HAS FUCKING UPDATES!

I have to reiterate what I said on the fall of their last campaign... just come back showcasing fucking games. That's all they need to do. Games sell hardware, not the other way around. Because if you have 5 games that look good and are exclusive to the Chameleon, then I'm listening. The sad thing about it is, using Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, Broforce, Crimzon Clover World Edition as an example, that'd be a huge hit on the Chameleon, but the people out there potentially buying this system have no Goddamn idea those games exist in the first place, which means I don't even have faith in the potential Chameleon userbase... if you haven't discovered retro games, essentially for the price of coffee... McDonald's coffee, on Steam by now, you can't want to play these types of games very much.

I'm not being hard on the guys who made Tiny Knight, but by comparison, most of the games I've got on Steam for cents... or if I splurged, like $2, appear to absolutely demolish it. I don't think Tiny Knight looks like a bad game, God knows we don't have enough to go on yet, but I don't think it would be half as good as bundle games.

• Like 6

I think I found some lost footage from their old prototype video.

The light blinks just the same as always--but this one's wireless.

No need for that bulky (yet admittedly impressive) power supply, which should cut several hundreds of dollars from its price.

Also, it's unconfirmed, but upgrading to this new case might be a stretch goal.

0KYy19N.gif

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 6

And without major franchise support, all we'll ever get is random games, many of which you will be able to get in bundles or Steam sales for $2 each with 3 months patience or have already been given away basically for free and are in people's collections and they'll see no need to pay money to upgrade an already pristine game... that HAS FUCKING UPDATES!

... if you haven't discovered retro games, essentially for the price of coffee... McDonald's coffee, on Steam by now, you can't want to play these types of games very much.

I'm not being hard on the guys who made Tiny Knight, but by comparison, most of the games I've got on Steam for cents... or if I splurged, like $2, appear to absolutely demolish it. I don't think Tiny Knight looks like a bad game, God knows we don't have enough to go on yet, but I don't think it would be half as good as bundle games.

I wonder if they even realize that they made their grand announcement the week before the biggest Steam sale of the year. I know cartridges are their main thing, but as long as they're going after games that are already on Steam, they can't just ignore what's happening on that site and the price.

Also, it's unconfirmed, but upgrading to this new case might be a stretch goal.

0KYy19N.gif

THIS JUST IN- Mike has acquired the molds to a pencil sharpener!! Stretch goal confirmed!!

..... so retro vgs is now a ColecoVision??

12391452_918099551592649_905106875818576

http://www.retrovgs.com/

"the ability play brand-new games in the 8-, 16- and 32-bit styles"

who needs an FGPA when you can just buy a cheap ARM and make your game emulate a style.

Strange things are happening: the ghosts of Jaguar, Colecovision & wii haunt this machine

ht

I take a break from the forums for a couple days and this happens... :ponder:

Holy shit. I thought you were being sarcastic. Nope. "Staple Bound: 40 pages"

"by Chris Cardillo (Author, Photographer)" but there is no photography in it, it's literally just a collection of NES box art. I guess you're supposed to check them off as you collect them?

I want to hear him rap.

Well it is true... if you count bad quality.

Edit: Okay, I stand corrected. Now is when I will say "holy shit..."

5.jpg

youneedme.jpg

Or Mambo Italiano, the rap version!

I listened to the first 30 seconds... Holy Shit Wholly Shit indeed, as in 100% :razz:

• Like 3

I listened to the first 30 seconds... Holy Shit Wholly Shit indeed, as in 100% :razz:

As others have already said, the RVGS—err, the Fauxleco Chameleon—is truly the gift that keeps on giving. The video from John Carlsen about the RVGS power supply (that is what his video was about, wasn't it?) was so bad and so weird that I didn't think anything else could top it, but now Mike's new partner on the project is a third string actor and an Eminem wannabe rapper? The best parody writers could work for a year and not come up with a plot twist like that, yet here it is! Just in time for Christmas, too! :lol:

• Like 3

I'm a man without conviction

I'm a man who doesn't know

How to sell a contradiction

You come and go, you come and go

Karma karma karma karma, karma chameleon

You come and go, you come and go

Loving would be easy if your colors were like my dream

Red gold and green, red gold and green

Well crap, in the five or so pages to catch up since the news broke, somebody beat me to it. I guess Mike is the guy in the video found guilty of stealing womens' jewelry. And that Poser Coleco/former rapper guy is the crossdresser. :lol:

• Like 1

Here's the cartoon in question, although they left out the part at the end with the guy from the far future rediscovering the frog and restarting the "I'll get rich with this" pattern all over again. But I saw that missing part in another YouTube video. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5DIv0rDx4I

EDIT: Wow, I didn't know they actually made a sequel! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DYj5t4SI0

Classic. Here's a much better quality capture of the uncut cartoon:

https://vimeo.com/50941741

Better hope they get that prototype running for that expo they will attend, and not just an empty shell on a table with lots of fancy posters and renders around it...

Or better still, they hook a shell up to some android device inside it, or a hidden laptop somewhere running emulators with a simple button inside wired to start a game when a equally empty cart is inserted. Hilarity will ensue when they put game X in there but game Y starts on the screen.

In all seriousness though, i will be very surprised if they have a working proto by the expo. My guess it will be what i first said, empty shell with a paperweight inside it, and some screens and posters showing "concept art" and a promise to return with a working proto by spring or something.

A Raspberry Pi with customized OS would work great for a Proto and fit in any enclosure. Sadly I don't believe they have the competance to pull even that off...

• Like 1

A Raspberry Pi with customized OS would work great for a Proto and fit in any enclosure. Sadly I don't believe they have the competance to pull even that off...

You know how many millions of Dollars Microsoft has to invest in making Windows? To make a custon OS for the pie I calculat they'd Need at least 5mi Dollars in funding before they pay someone who can pretend he knows programming to even start working on this.

On the serious side, don't drag more things into this. Leave the Pie alone. It doesn't Need a jaguard Shell. That's for sure.

• Like 1

You know how many millions of Dollars Microsoft has to invest in making Windows? To make a custon OS for the pie I calculat they'd Need at least 5mi Dollars in funding before they pay someone who can pretend he knows programming to even start working on this.

On the serious side, don't drag more things into this. Leave the Pie alone. It doesn't Need a jaguard Shell. That's for sure.

But that's exactly the type of project the RetroVGS Coleco Chameleon team is aiming for with the USB and such. We all know if it gets off the ground at all, it's going to be a bare bones ARM box, so why not start with the Raspberry Pi for a prototype? Just adapt the cartridge port onto the GPIO headers, then go for a lower end chipset and strip every unneeded component when it reaches production. So what if it's all empty space inside? So were the Atgames clones.

• Like 1

Realistically speaking their Project is a raspi, but with proprietary SD Cards and instead of running an OS it's managed by an FPGA. It does have the Advantage of booting up faster.

The disadvantages are:

1- It doesn't exist. The pi does.

2 - Retro VGS is more expensive

3 - It is proprietary (but for the RVGS Team that's a pro.)

4 - No functionality. A Pi does whatever you tell it to that's feasible with the ammount of power it has (and even for the Zero it's a lot of power). The RVGS does whatever Mike dreams it will.

I'd say the worst part of the RVGS is the number one disadvantage. If that could ever Change than I would be able to kinda compare it better to the Pi. But since I don't see any way that will happen, well... MAybe it's not that great.

To play a little devil's advocate, how is this re-branding to use another brand name any different than when it has happened in the past? For an example, the Jaguar's little brother the Atari Lynx wasn't really made by Atari. It was made by Epyx and it's original name was the Handy Game until Atari bought it from Epyx. Then Atari called it the Portable Color Entertainment System before changing the name again to Lynx. And to top that all off the Atari company being discussed here wasn't even the original company. It was sold in the 70's and then the brand was sold again in the 80's. My point is there isn't much of a difference between putting Coleco on a Jaguar case and Atari on a Jaguar case because by the time the Jaguar came out it was Atari in name only. How many of us took interest in the 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx, Jaguar, Atari 8-bit computers, etc. because we saw the Atari name and logo on them even though every one of them weren't released by the original Atari? Were we all deceived or is that just how branding works?

• Like 1

The difference is as kids we didn't know or care about that sort of thing, business politics and all that.. Today we're politically inclined and like arguing about how things come to be. Not to mention the process is more open because the companies like generating press, good or bad.

Edited by Keatah