IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

My questions:

-What Technology is going to be put into the cartridges (ROM or Flash, and of what type)?

-Are they going to have FINAL specs for the three diferent Targets (they added one more at 3.1mi) before the campaign is over?

-Who's going to do the Software development for them (cores and System Management, also dev tools)?

-What Kind or development Tools are the diferent tiers going to Support? (Unity, Game maker, Emulated cores. etc..)

Thank you.

• Like 2

They just said the following on FB:

"We do in fact, have lots of the pieces of the puzzle in place with the tooling and controller in hand. That is half the battle."

Do they honestly believe that anywhere remotely close to half the work is done at this point?

It's interesting that they've posted a couple of Kickstarter campaigns without prototypes. As I wrote earlier, I think for some (many?) of us there's no difference in what those campaigns did and what RVGS did. Like them, RVGS has "nothing to show".

Oh, okay. They do have the tooling and a controller. Of course, they don't even have any real pictures of even their special cases -- just more 3D renderings.

• Like 2

I have an interview scheduled with Mike and the team tonight. Any questions you all want losed to them?

And you could ask about the facebook comment he made:

RETRO VGS The main focus of RETRO VGS isn't to play old games but these new retro games being made today, on cartridges.

It'd be interesting to know when the focus switched to this direction, the reasoning behind it (financial? instant titles with big names?) and what measures did they put in place to garner opinion on that rather important change of emphasis.

Would he be willing to scrap his IGG campaign and start fresh on Kickstarter with a protoype from Kevtris?

I'm not sure I want that anymore. I think I'd rather just get it from the source (Kevtris).

I am curious what the near-term and longer-term plans for the RetroVGS team are, though.

• Like 2

From the revised IGG bios:

"John has degrees in computer science and management from St. Edward's University in Austin, and five degrees from De Anza College in Cupertino—where Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak studied."

Why is that bit important? I doubt the 2 ever met, it was Woita the got a resistor replacement approved by Woz in the early 80'.

On the bright side they added an intermediate goal, they changed the numbers of how the funds will be spent .....

t's great to see things so stable that nothing you read lasts for more than 2 days, while attempting to get money.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

This was mentioned in the NA retroVGS thread so I thought I'd cross post this between both threads:

http://nintendolegend.com/2015/09/interview-kevin-kevtris-horton-on-the-retro-vgs/

While I'm here, there's a short interview with Kevtris regarding RVGS, not sure it was posted: http://nintendolegend.com/2015/09/interview-kevin-kevtris-horton-on-the-retro-vgs/Probably nothing new, have only skimmed over.

D'oh! This thread moves so fast I cannot keep up with it all... :dunce:

Edited by stardust4ever

I understand 5-11, but I doubt Kevtris has the time or inclination to take care of all the other business that would go along with getting a new console out as a marketable product that could feasibly end up on store shelves. That stuff would seem to be Mike's forte. If these 2 do team up and put out a console, they both stand to make a lot of money imo. A win-win for them and for us gamers who want to just play some darn games.

On the bright side they added an intermediate goal, they changed the numbers of how the funds will be spent .....

t's great to see things so stable that nothing you read lasts for more than 2 days, while attempting to get money.

But since we never knew what that original stretch goal consisted of FPGA-wise, other than "bigger" than the undisclosed one at $1.95m, the new mid-level stretch goal is meaningless with "bigger" and "even bigger!!!1"

• Like 1

It's interesting that they've posted a couple of Kickstarter campaigns without prototypes. As I wrote earlier, I think for some (many?) of us there's no difference in what those campaigns did and what RVGS did. Like them, RVGS has "nothing to show".

Oh, okay. They do have the tooling and a controller. Of course, they don't even have any real pictures of even their special cases -- just more 3D renderings.

It's funny that they chose those two Kickstarter campaigns as examples. Each one has exactly three (3) backers, and missed their target by about 99%. Both stated that they would be using existing commodity software in a new package, unlike RVGS, which offers something something computer cartridge good retro mumble mumble in an old package, featuring the Atari Jaguar looks and the functionality of the worst 3rd party Wii U controller in the marketplace. Nice console you have there, guys.

• Like 1

I understand 5-11, but I doubt Kevtris has the time or inclination to take care of all the other business that would go along with getting a new console out as a marketable product that could feasibly end up on store shelves. That stuff would seem to be Mike's forte. If these 2 do team up and put out a console, they both stand to make a lot of money imo. A win-win for them and for us gamers who want to just play some darn games.

You're probably right on the team effort being a win-win, but I'm sure Kevtris could do everything that needs to be done to make and sell a console, and I'd rather have him being the one in control (although I'm guessing the "end up on store shelves" part would be a stretch for him).

We'll see what happens, I guess. Stay tuned, people! ;)

• Like 1

If they think having a console shell and a controller is "half the battle" they are out of their goddamn minds and it explains everything about how they got here. Oh, ok, I have an empty LIAN LI case, so I guess I am 1/2 way towards constructing a fully functional artificial intelligence. Just give me $2 mil dollars and I guarantee to have it delivered in one year

• Like 3

I have an interview scheduled with Mike and the team tonight. Any questions you all want losed to them?

Why did they choose to roll the prototype into their initial crowdfunding campaign? Did they ever consider soliciting donations to build their prototype prior to launching the main campaign?

• Like 2

Caught this gem from their facebook activity this morning

Game support is the least of our problems. We have developers in line wanting to make games on this. Our problem is we can't over saturate the market early on or our early developers won't make any money.

Oh boy. It's a good thing Piko backed out, otherwise they might inadvertently lose money because their game would be lost in the mix. Retro VGS, leading the way to the next video game crash!

• Like 5

Caught this gem from their facebook activity this morning

Oh boy. It's a good thing Piko backed out, otherwise they might inadvertently lose money because their game would be lost in the mix. Retro VGS, leading the way to the next video game crash!

I didn't backed out, I was backed out? I guess.

• Like 1

I noticed that, too. Showing other failed Kickstarters doesn't help make theirs look any better.

Why did they choose to roll the prototype into their initial crowdfunding campaign? Did they ever consider soliciting donations to build their prototype prior to launching the main campaign?

I wonder about this, too. As others have pointed out, if you look at their cost breakdowns, they've got everything in there from development money to money for rent. Why are they trying to fund the whole damn company through IGG in one campaign, instead of doing a smaller round of fundraising to build the prototype first? And why have they still not supplied a solid set of technical specifications for it, not to mention design specifications, testing specifications, details about the development tools, a business plan, market research, and all the other things one would expect them to have finished before asking people to give them nearly $2 million bucks on blind faith?

• Like 1

I noticed that, too. Showing other failed Kickstarters doesn't help make theirs look any better.

Interestingly, they were doing that as a defense of launching on IGG, sort of like "see, people on kickstarter fail too!"

I actually don't think IGG is the problem as a lot of people are insisting. Fine, whatever, it is just a platform. How many donations are they going to solicit from people stumbling upon the kickstarter page? With the right marketing and something to show it will spread just fine on IGG.

• Like 1

Interestingly, they were doing that as a defense of launching on IGG, sort of like "see, people on kickstarter fail too!"

I actually don't think IGG is the problem as a lot of people are insisting. Fine, whatever, it is just a platform. How many donations are they going to solicit from people stumbling upon the kickstarter page? With the right marketing and something to show it will spread just fine on IGG.

I really should have said that "showing other failed crowdfunding campaigns doesn't make theirs look any better." As you say, a good product and a well-structured campaign will succeed wherever it's hosted ... but the RVGS isn't either one of those things.

I get the impression that they're already trying to frame the failure of the campaign (because, let's face it, everybody knows by now that it's going to fail miserably) as primarily a structural problem: problems with IGG, problems with Kickstarter that "forced" them to change to IGG at the last minute, etc. I wonder when they'll admit that most of the blame belongs to them.

• Like 1

I actually don't think IGG is the problem as a lot of people are insisting. Fine, whatever, it is just a platform.

I think it may be brand trust and not previously knowing about the "fixed funding" feature.