IGNORED

Titan Axe Beta

Papa

I would like to give folks a try at my new game before the finishing touches are added. If you like my game please consider buying it when it comes out!! This was programmed from scratch, by me!!

Here are the instructions..

Joystick = moves the character

Hold action = Jump (in Jump let go of action to attack)

Left + action = attack

Right + action = attack

Down + action = special attack

Hold up + action = Use magic (uses power)

In easy hold action on the Game Over screen to continue

In Hard hold action to begin at an earlier point in the game (usually), or choose a different character

On the title screen hold a direction to listen to one of the music tracks, five in total! (I made all the music, too)

This game is one of my most loved creations and I hope you all enjoy it and consider purchasing it when/if it comes out at AtariAge

Please don't take my code or modify it in any way!!

I present..

Titan Axe Beta

TitanAxeBeta.bin

Edited by Papa
  • Like 3

By the way..it's a 32K bankswitched game that uses the 16-bit randomizer and as much color as I can squeeze out of the Atari 2600! I have 12-15 more games I'm working on with graphics and animation as good as this one or better! Any comments would be appreciated. Anyone who has downloaded the game please update me on how it plays or if you like it or not. I thought that overcoming the basic sprite collision detection was rather effective at emulating the collisions on the later systems.

Also..on the controls..

B/W pauses the game (also zooms the characters and plays a song)

Reset goes back to the title (resets)

This game has a few warp spots and traps as well!

Edited by Papa

Try holding UP and the button for a while right after the game starts. It crashes pretty bad. (I'd screenshot it, but you have to see it in real time to really appreciate how bad it is)

Try holding DOWN and the button for a while right after the game starts. Is that normal?

I'm not a fan of all the flickering and flashing either.

I do like the animation when an enemy is defated. It's cool how they shatter into pieces.

The flashing is fire from a dragon or lightning.

What are you playing it on?

I have tested this on a Heavy Sixer and a 4 switcher, in Stella, on a 7800, and on a Gemini with no crashing or anything of the sort!?! If you hold up or down (without the button) on the title screen you get a music track. I would very much like to see what you're talking about as I have experienced nothing like that!

The flashing doesn't bother me, as it is brief and is part of the games effects.

Edited by Papa

..also I would classify this as a Hack and Slash game rather than a Punchy/Kicky game. To each his own I guess.

I think the game plays great and looks extremely good considering it's an Atari 2600 game.

When you hold down and action the Dwarf does a rolling attack and the Valkyrie does a sword spinning attack..

Did anyone else who downloaded it experience any crashing?

Edited by Papa

Are you sure it's not just the magic sequence? In one a giant dragon comes down the screen breathing fire, in the other a bolt of lightning rips down the screen and cascades off to the sides. I have experienced ZERO crashing in this game, EVER!!

Magic will also send you a screen ahead if you use it when there is no badguy or if the badguy is very weak when you use it! It will also occasionally stop shuriken and fireballs!

Using combos like down + action then right + action then left + action can get you three hits rapidly. A jump attack then a special attack then a basic attack will also cause more damage.

The final game will likely have more magic sequences and I may have the boss characters use a magic attack! I also might have a demo from the title and a longer ending sequence.

The flashing doesn't bother me, as it is brief and is part of the games effects.

I don't care how brief it is or what it is a part of; I don't like flashing screens. I never did at any age and I never will. Someone even made a no flashing hack of Beamrider for me:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-harmony-cartridge.html#hacks

I'd eventually like to have a no flashing hacked version of any classic Atari 2600 games that had flashing screens.

The color cycling is really no big deal in this game. It's only brief, doesn't rapidly change the brightness and is a controlled effect to show fire or lightning. I've already gathered that you don't care for the game so you can keep your opinion to yourself. The flashing that the Game Design page is talking about is, from what I take it to mean, games that have no complete backgrounds and therefor are flashing the entire screen in, what I would agree to be, irritating fashion. The effect I did was meant to imitate games such as Golden Axe or Ghouls & Ghosts where two colors are cycled for effect, not what I would consider whole screen flashing that is known to be irritating. If I had no backgrounds that covered the entire screen, or huge graphics that blocked out most of the color cycling, then I would understand, but really it's not bad at all. My son likes the game as do my daughters and wife. I don't really like whole screen flashing in background-less games either. This is not the same as that. Since you don't really like, uh.. Punchy/Kicky games (do you like defender, where a ship blasts lasers at things? Or Q-Bert, where the hero is landed on from above by coiling snakes and apparently curses?) I.E. most games, then why keep attacking my game for the one thing you don't like?

Does anyone who downloaded my game like it? There are apparently eighteen other people who may or may not like Hack & Slash games that have yet to comment!

It looks like you're not talking about the same thing I'm talking about. I'm talking about the screen flashing yellow when an enemy hurts you.

Also, the download count for your game file ticks up whenever anyone tries it again. I've tried it 3 or 4 times myself when checking on something, so you never really know how many people have tried a game.

I'm not a fan of fight and go right style games, punchy/kicky or hacky/slashy, and didn't spend much time with it, so I don't have much useful to say. One thing that particularly annoyed me though was the way the enemies "cling" to you once they get close enough to touch you, perfectly copying your every move.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo

They actually randomly attack you and do not copy your every move. When struck the enemy is knocked back and this gives you the opportunity to move away. Most games like this have enemies that stay in close proximity and attack relentlessly.. again.. if you're already not a fan of this type of game it's not really important to me. The screen changes color ONE TIME when you are struck to indicate damage! This is not flashing (on-off on-off on-off..that's flashing..)!

Does anyone who plays games made from 1989 to the present that involve cartoon animated violence like this game?

The screen changes color ONE TIME when you are struck to indicate damage! This is not flashing (on-off on-off on-off..that's flashing..)!

So a camera flash isn't a flash unless it goes off and on repeatedly? :D

The screen flashes every time you are damaged. It happens more than once since you can get damaged more than once before the game is over, but once is more than enough for me. In any game by anyone, I'd rather have a sound effect or a color change of the sprite (or both) instead of flashing the screen.

Well, I like it, so that's why it's there! I don't find that kind of effect bothersome. You must really be bothered by a LOT of games if that's your gripe. I made this game for Hack & Slash fans, so, again..your opinion is far less valuable to me than that of someone who enjoys these kinds of games. You said the "Flashing screens" bothered you, though. A flashing screen is not just ONE FLASH that happens when you are struck! And a camera does flash, but it's not a flashing cube, is it? No, it's a flash cube. I take it you're bothered by cameras, too? You should go on a quest to end clearer pictures and more detailed photography while your at it. I'm actually rather insulted by your page that insinuates that flashing screens are made by people who "get high with their friends.." like anyone who would use an effect like this is endorsing drug use!! I don't use drugs and my only friends are my wife and kids, so it's a tad hurtful to attack programmers for method.

I'm not you audience so I'm going to try not to be a dick and hijack your thread. You wanted to know where the other 18 people (or whatever it's up to now) who downloaded the game where. I'm sure some of them though "Oh, it's Golden Axe on the Atari. Whatever." and moved on. Even if all of those 18 downloads are unique people, a lot of them just aren't going to comment. Look at the download numbers for other games and then look at how many different members comment. It's a pretty small percentage. If someone starts a comment with "I don't like these kinds of games," don't engage the poster or get defensive and don't say their comment isn't important to you. If there's something useful there, great, if not, just move on. Otherwise you just get stick arguing over what's flashing and what isn't.

Good luck with the game. If you like it and are having fun making and playing it, that's what matters. If other people like it, that's icing.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo

You said the "Flashing screens" bothered you, though.

"Flashing screens" in general. And your game has multiple screens anyway, so "flashing screens" would apply. I'll try to be more exact in the future. I should have said "I don't like it when the background changes color for a short time when the player receives damage."

I'm actually rather insulted by your page that insinuates that flashing screens are made by people who "get high with their friends.." like anyone who would use an effect like this is endorsing drug use!! I don't use drugs and my only friends are my wife and kids, so it's a tad hurtful to attack programmers for method.

Right, because "even if you're the type of person who thinks flashing looks cool when you and your buddies get high . . ." means that all people who love flashing screens are on drugs. I forgot that the if is silent. :D

..Again..I don't think that background-less games that flash are very attractive. I think that my game is extremely attractive. It's not really Golden Axe for the 2600, though, as you are freeing fairies from robots and it's only one player. It borrows elements from Golden Axe, Sonic, and some other popular games. If you thought, "Oh, it's Golden Axe for the Atari." and moved on then that might be shallow. And there are people, myself included, that are not bothered by minor color cycling in games, and are not getting high with our friends, so it does apply. There is not an "If your not, but you still like occasional flashy graphics.." to balance out the obvious attack on programmer method.

..also..there have been 26 downloads, so far! This doesn't mean that the game has been played 26 times by one or two people, it means that it has been downloaded TWENTY-SIX times! If someone is downloading it over and over again that is redundant, and this website is likely not tracking how many times the game is being played on Stella, or your Harmony Cart on your 2600 in your living room!

..also..there have been 26 downloads, so far! This doesn't mean that the game has been played 26 times by one or two people, it means that it has been downloaded TWENTY-SIX times! If someone is downloading it over and over again that is redundant, and this website is likely not tracking how many times the game is being played on Stella, or your Harmony Cart on your 2600 in your living room!

Nobody is saying that only one or two people have tried it, but the forum does count every time a person tries a game directly with Stella (each click on the link counts as a download). I hardly ever formally download a game posted in the forums to my computer. If I want to try a program again to check on something in the game, I just click on the download link again since it's not saved to my computer in a place where I could easily find it.

For example, I'm pretty sure that the 1381 downloads that Seaweed Assault has aren't from that many individuals. A good chunk of that is probably from people coming back and clicking on the link to play directly with Stella.

When I tested the download (once) it downloaded to my computer. There is no way AA is watching my Stella emulator, or my Harmony cart. Your talking like everyone just runs Stella right off of the download button. How can you know that all the other users do this?

When I tested the download (once) it downloaded to my computer. There is no way AA is watching my Stella emulator, or my Harmony cart. Your talking like everyone just runs Stella right off of the download button. How can you know that all the other users do this?

Looks like we're having another failure to communicate. When I click on your link using Firefox, a box pops up that looks like this:

post-13-0-02131000-1424921449_thumb.png

When that box pops up, the link count has already increased by one. It doesn't matter which choice I make. All the forum software cares about is that I clicked on the link.

Now about that box; I can choose to immediately open the game with Stella or I can choose to save it somewhere on my computer. Choosing to immediately open the game with Stella saves me a few steps and a good number of people do the same thing. It's faster and easier.

So when you said "There are apparently eighteen other people who may or may not like Hack & Slash games that have yet to comment!" there's no way for you to really know that for sure. It could be 18 or it could be 16 or it could be 15 or it could be 10. If a person who chose to play immediately closes Stella and he or she reads your thread and decides to check out something in your game again based on what was said in a reply, they will click on the link again and that will count as a new download.

It's nothing to get upset about. It's just a fact that none of us can count on the count. :D

Thank you Atari2600land! And, I like your movie. I wonder, is he's fixing his hair in the mirror or sprouting horns? I noticed afterwards he goes on the offensive and actually begins to retaliate against the Space Rabbits! I like how the programming is being used for another medium other than gaming, and it's to good effect.

When I download things it goes into a folder called "downloads" and I then put it where I want. It has been this way for a long time and was how the browser was to begin with. I have never had a download open an emulator from a web page!?! Sounds weird to me!

I do all of my programming on a system that is never online and have programmed several games with around ten in the beginning phases and four or five in a beta stage.

I think the animation in my game is extremely good and if someone compares it to a game from system-16 or the 68000 in general I guess I should consider that a huge compliment. Although relating it to Golden Axe is obvious, I would like to solidify it as it's own adventure. Remember that Thor is the god of thunder and summoning dragons is not exclusive to Golden Axe alone. It is meant to be like Golden Axe with a Sonic twist, where you free fairies from a mechanical contraption that runs off of their life force. In the end (on hard mode) a castle explodes revealing the trapped Fairy queen in shackles..

The Dwarfs name is Thuryan

The Amazons name is Walkarya

Edited by Papa