IGNORED

Titan Axe Beta

Papa

*NOTE

I removed the extra color scheme for the first two Titan bosses (I didn't like it..)

I fixed a little quirk in the graphics with the dwarf!

The final game will have (hopefully!!)..

More and different Magic animations,

More background animations and color variants,

A better ending for easy mode

A Magic attack for certain enemies,

and any remaining quirks rooted out!!

Please keep posting and tell me what you think of the newest Beta!!

Please download the new Beta at the first post of this topic!! :grin:

..or right here!!

TitanAxeBeta.bin

Edited by Papa
  • Like 1

I took the flashing out of the Warp screens and animated them, too. This was because I liked the cleaner look and felt it actually looked like you were being pulled into a different place, like a warp gate could look. One way to test the gate (albeit a trap) is to use magic against the second appearance of the Titan boss in the Emerald city. There is a trap there that will yank you back to an earlier place in the game.

*NOTE

I removed the extra color scheme for the first two Titan bosses (I didn't like it..)

I fixed a little quirk in the graphics with the dwarf!

The final game will have (hopefully!!)..

More and different Magic animations,

More background animations and color variants,

A better ending for easy mode

A Magic attack for certain enemies,

and any remaining quirks rooted out!!

Please keep posting and tell me what you think of the newest Beta!!

Please download the new Beta at the first post of this topic!! :grin:

..or right here!!

attachicon.gifTitanAxeBeta.bin

Cool game and concept.......but I can't get him to jump??? I'm I missing something........

Ah.. If you press and hold the action button the character will jump. If you press a direction after doing this you will jump in that direction. By letting go of the button in mid jump you will perform a jump attack. Holding the up direction and action will use magic. Holding down and action will do a special attack. Holding left or right and action will do a normal attack. Thanks for the compliment. If you hold action on the game over screen you will continue.

Ah.. If you press and hold the action button the character will jump. If you press a direction after doing this you will jump in that direction. By letting go of the button in mid jump you will perform a jump attack. Holding the up direction and action will use magic. Holding down and action will do a special attack. Holding left or right and action will do a normal attack. Thanks for the compliment. If you hold action on the game over screen you will continue.

Ok got it now....wasn't holding the fire button long enough

I designed this game with the idea that, rather than button mashing, one could hold the button and use directions to control the action. I often play by holding down the button long enough to start a big jump towards the badguy. I then let go of the button to start a jump attack. After landing I hold the button and swing left and right a few times to hit while avoiding the possible attack. I then finish them off by pressing down, still holding the button, to do a special attack.

This game is almost finished. I've recently added even more background animation, a little more magic effects, changed the Dwarf's magic to more resemble lightning strikes (he stays on the screen now when using this), and have cleaned up some glitches.

Edited by Papa
  • Like 1

Titan Axe is READY!! The past couple of days have been filled up with programming and testing!

The final version has the following changes:

Enemies have different speeds and no longer 'hug' the hero.

The Titan boss has his own magic attack (this will freak you out!).

All glitches have been fixed!!

All jittering has been eliminated!!

A new ending has been added for the easy level.

A demo has been added to the title screen (helping to explain the story)!

Thurian has a second magic attack!

Graphics are improved for Thurian's lightning attack and effects!

Walkuria has a second dragon (a red one!)!

Enemy knockback has been improved to use both sides of the screen.

The full ending can now only be seen in hard mode!

Also, much more background animation has been added!

The download here is still the old beta version without these upgrades, but the final game is 99.9% ready to be made!

Edited by Papa
  • Like 2

Titan Axe is READY!! The past couple of days have been filled up with programming and testing!

The final version has the following changes:

Enemies have different speeds and no longer 'hug' the hero.

The Titan boss has his own magic attack (this will freak you out!).

All glitches have been fixed!!

All jittering has been eliminated!!

A new ending has been added for the easy level.

A demo has been added to the title screen (helping to explain the story)!

Thurian has a second magic attack!

Graphics are improved for Thurian's lightning attack and effects!

Walkuria has a second dragon (a red one!)!

Enemy knockback has been improved to use both sides of the screen.

The full ending can now only be seen in hard mode!

The download here is still the old beta version without these upgrades, but the final game is 99.9% ready to be made!

waiting for download..............

This version will be available for purchase soon!! (hopefully) :D

After it's had a chance to sell I will put up the source and the download!

I really hope everyone enjoys Titan Axe!

I will be working on my next game now and putting up the beta for it. It's already got most of the graphics done and some of the initial programming. Fleshing it out and filling up the 32K will be the next steps. It's a racing game. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Interesting game concept. It would be nice to either reduce the volume of the background music or be able to turn it off. I would also prefer if the sprite flashed (perhaps red) instead of the backround when hit... those two items were a bit distracting for me. Overall though I found it entertaining.

The final version is extremely different. I took some of the flashing out of the game (although to replace an entire sprite with a single color to flash would take a LOT of memory that I don't even have left). Using a brief color change as a hit indicator uses next to nothing as far as memory goes. Here are the changes on the final game..

No warp flashing

Boss uses magic (wicked awesome scary) :skull:

more prizes all over the place (meat and apples)

Enemy movements are all different. They can be outran and attacked more easily from both sides of the screen. (undead are still very hard)

There is now a row of health indicator icons!! (totally awesome little jar-like graphics)

Title has a demo that helps along the story (faeries seeking help)

There is a lot more background animation (hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil..and much more)

There are now two different colors of dragon magic (red and green and maybe more!?!)

The game is more challenging now and has much greater replay value. Continues are a must!! (easy sets you back a little, hard sets you waaaay back)

Background music can be selected from the end scenes, both on easy and hard. (and the title or select 'other' places..)

There is now an easy mode ending (different than on hard). (not as rewarding as hard..much like "Our princess is in another castle")

Health and damage are different now, requiring food prizes. (It's so much funner to play now..believe me)

Prizes give different amounts of health. (being a vegetarian, I made the apples give more health than the meat.. :P )

New warp zones and traps (difficulty has a say in whether certain things happen or not..)

Titan bosses come in two different armor colors! (chocolate and strawberry!! :dunce: )

The demo of this game is basically obsolete now as this 'final' version is much more playable and has reached a level where it is ready for production.

If anyone really wants to try the new finished version before I get it published just PM me and I may give you a download that way. The beta and it's slightly altered version have had well over a hundred and twenty downloads (I removed the first fifty-three downloads when I replaced one beta with another) and I would like the new game to have a great appeal to possible buyers. I will, however, be posting pictures and a video of the final game!!

I am greatly entertained by this version and would like everyone to consider purchasing it when it's published as a 2600 game! My next work will be a racing game that is becoming quite special to me! It has excellent graphics already and will be much different than any other racer for this system!!

Thanks to everyone who has downloaded the Beta!! :thumbsup:

PM me if you want to play-test Titan Axe in its final form!! ;) (or if you just want to pass PM stuff back and forth..I have TONS of demos I've made..)

• Like 2

**UPDATE**

I have made it an option to turn off the background music (*noise) and it's default volume, should one choose to endure it, is lower.

A note on the 'hit indicating' background flash..

..Some backgrounds in this game use the PF screen extenders and many do not. This is to allow for backgrounds that cover the whole screen. When the hero is struck and there is an extension then the outside of the screen flashes black between the updates of the background and the character hit animation. The yellow indicator flash is partly to cover up this unintentional effect and also to indicate damage.

It is twofold in that it covers an artifact and is a graphical representation of damage. I would compare it to a flash onomatopoeia in a comic book and find that it doesn't really distract me any more than common distractions in other video games (muzzle flash, color cycling, rocking lighting, etc..)!

The music is now optional!! :thumbsup: (the right difficulty switch sets it off or on)

PM me to play-test Titan Axe!! 8)

The play-test version will have a couple of differences from the complete final version..

The real final version has:

Slightly slower undead

Certain backgrounds don't clash with Thurian

The magic prize has a defined color in the final version

The 'game over' screen doesn't clash with certain backgrounds

..and a couple of little differences here and there..

I'm jamming in as much as I can here in the last few minutes up until it gets sent! I CAN'T WAIT!!

Edited by Papa
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is Titan Axe!! Anyone who wants to try the game feel free! If you want to be added as a playtester in the manual that may be possible!?!

This is nearly/possibly identical to the final release! Only minor changes have been made since the last download...

Here is a brief rundown of controls:

Reset restarts the game

The left difficulty switch sets the games difficulty

The right difficulty switch turns off and on music

Fire starts the game and, while holding left or right, selects a character.

Holding fire while pressing directions performs the following actions:

Up=Magic

Down=Special attack

Right=right side swing

Left=Left side swing

Holding fire without a direction Jumps

Right and Left control the jump direction

Letting go of the button during jump performs a Jump attack

Holding fire on the game over screen continues the current game

Holding a direction during the title, character select screen, and winning (easy and hard mode) screens plays one of the four other songs from the game (no direction being pressed plays the main theme).

Have fun!!

TitanAxe.bin

• Like 2

First post from a long time lurker...LOL. Fun game, always like a hack 'n slash. All these good homebrews I've been emulating lately make me desparate for a real 2600/7800. The frozen north is a bit barren for Retroers though, and I'm cheap so no eBay. ;-) Anyway, thanks Papa!

• Like 1

Interesting game. I'd like to see a description of what each screen is supposed to be. The bB playfield graphics leave a lot of room for interpretation and I think I'd appreciate it more if I knew what I was supposed to be seeing in them.

• Like 1

Here is a list!!

Level 1. The icey north

1. A waterfall next to a cave
2. Bent over, frozen trees
3. Mountains in the distance and a Torii
4. The remnants of an auquaduct
5. Less decrepit aquaducts
6. The temple of Guardians. Two giant stone guardians guard the gateway. There is a secret here.
7. Hear no evil, See no evil, Speak no evil
8. A stonework village with a well.
9. The Weeping Temples of the Chosen
10. Gateway to the Dark Ninja village

Level 2. The siezed towns

1. A robot assassin factory
2. A distant palace
3. A bridge passing an old Village
4. An empty factory
5. A pagoda.
6. 3 giant stone animal statues

Level 3. The Toltec woods

1. A giant swimming turtle
2. The Turtle woods
3. A trail through the woods
4. More woods..
5. A Toltec giant watching the battle. There is a secret here if you are brave!

Level 4. The Volcano

1. A village near the volcano
2. A rich home at the foot of the volcano
3. The temple of Vulcan
4. a field ablaze with lava
5. An active volcano. The first fallen Titan is here!

Level 5. The Emerald city

1. The Emerald palace in the distance
2. The great stone pathway
3. A futuristic street with a structure in the distance
4. Another futuristic street with two emerald city builidings
5. A giant emerald bat statue
6. A great colosseum
7. The throneroom! A magic curse is here as is the second fallen Titan!

Level 6. The desert

1. The Temple of the Ram with a burnt sacrifice sending up smoke
2. A massive dune
3. A castle covered in sand
4. a row of giant serpent heads with shimmering eyes
5. Three sphinxes with a hidden pathway. There is a secret here.
6. An Arabian palace
7. a row of pillars from an ancient temple in ruins
8. The base of a giant pyramid
9. a great serpent mound with a mirror image in the path. It is eating a giant egg!
10. The third temple of Cancer. It is a giant crab.

Level 7. The eagles path

1. The back of a giant eagle in flight. Don't fall off!!
2. The great feather path. The street is made of giant feathers where the eagles land.
3. A bridge overlooking two giant water lizards feeding (dinosaurs).
4. The great eagle village. Again, the path is made of feathers.
5. Another giant bridge. This one is above a marsh.

Level 8. The castle of Mages

1. The entraceway
2. The dining hall
3. The oval pillars at sunset
4. A hallway
5. A council room
6. A dark passage
7. A cursed room. Don't use magic here!!
8. An exit through catacombs
9. A path with tracks, teepees, and a cooking spit
10. A purple stone path at the base of a giant grey pyramid with two guardian statues on each side (each down on one knee)

Level 9. The illuminated path

1. The pyramid of the great eye. A magical eye watches you from above.
2. Five giant thrones
3. A giant stone city
4. The stone city gate
5. A distant temple with a gigantic stone cross
6. A massive castle. This is the final battle! The last Titan awaits!!

There are many more secrets than what I have spoken of here. Many levels have warps and secret ways to get full power just when you need it!!

Here's another download so it goes down easier..

TitanAxe.bin

Edited by Papa

Thanks for those descriptions. That helps a lot.

The game is hard as nails for me, but I've made it midway in level 3. :)

I want to see more of those screens now. A lot of those descriptions sound interesting. Have the screen graphics been updated since your playthrough video?

There has been more animation added to several backgrounds on the last download.

One technique that helps is to 'stick and move'. Once you land a strike on the badguy they are knocked back slightly. This gives you the opportunity to back away and then attack again. I've noticed that the game can be pretty hard. I wanted some serious replay value.

If you play on hard you can run into the Toltec giant (go up) after the third shuriken (I think it's the third one) it will warp you past the first boss (there are lots of secrets that work like that in this game)! Using magic at the right time is extremely important for advancing. Over-using magic can be bad, too, as it may destroy prizes. I'll be posting a new video pretty soon.

SUPER GLAD TO HEAR SOMEONES PLAYING IT!! :-o :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That made my day and I kinda needed it.

(my 2 year old is sick, I broke a belt on my vacuum, smashed my thumb in the bag catch, and just pulled three hairs out of my pasta.. :? )

..on an up-note I fixed all the jitters in my newest game!

A new video of Titan Axe is on it's way! Tips on how to play, secrets, and a complete run with Walkuria!!

I'm re-uploading it now!

(no thumbnails appeared on the first try, so here we go again..)

Edited by Papa

A new video of Titan Axe is on it's way! Tips on how to play, secrets, and a complete run with Walkuria!!

I'm re-uploading it now!

(no thumbnails appeared on the first try, so here we go again..)

I've uploaded videos that were watched before, so this must have happened just recently.. I'm doing it over..