IGNORED

Mario or Sonic?

Shawn

Mario or Sonic?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Mario or Sonic?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I really liked classic Sonic, but nothing after Sonic & Knuckles has impressed me in the least. Mario has had a better afterlife.

At their height, it would have been too close to vote, but given the history of the plumber and the after years of the hedgehog, it was too easy—unfortunately—to make that call today.

• Like 1

I'm a long time Sonic fan, but like bomberpunk, the last games I enjoyed were on the GBA. The beauty of the classic games is that you can enjoy them your way, no matter if you like to take your time to explore and collect every ring or simply zip through the stages as fast as possible. The 3D games are too linear and scripted, and the physics are too damn broken (true for modern 2D games/sections as well) to be enjoyable. Sonic's personality also took a turn for the worse when he started talking, and we were forced to sit through boring cutscenes that were supposed to develop a sad excuse for a storyline.

Mario has been significantly more consistent throughout the years, and thus has been much more successful at preserving the loyalty of his fans.

I still voted Sonic though, because what he used to be will never cease to be awesome, even if the current Sonic sucks.

Edited by tokumaru
  • Like 3

I had a handheld when I was a child, Donkey Kong. I liked it for the time, well then he was called Jumpman and then Mario.

A few years later I saw Mario on NES. Never liked it.

With my Gamegear I then played Sonic 1-2 (later versions sucked)... Fantastic game!

When I bought a Megadrive I was trying to finish it there too but never had the time.

I will try again sometime.

So Sonic for me.

I'm a long time Sonic fan, but like bomberpunk, the last games I enjoyed were on the GBA. The beauty of the classic games is that you can enjoy them your way, no matter if you like to take your time to explore and collect every ring or simply zip through the stages as fast as possible. The 3D games are too linear and scripted, and the physics are too damn broken (true for modern 2D games/sections as well) to be enjoyable. Sonic's personality also took a turn for the worse when he started talking, and we were forced to sit through boring cutscenes that were supposed to develop a sad excuse for a storyline.

Mario has been significantly more consistent throughout the years, and thus has been much more successful at preserving the loyalty of his fans.

I still voted Sonic though, because what he used to be will never cease to be awesome, even if the current Sonic sucks.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't like 3D Sonic. Everyone talked up Sonic Adventure so much, but I thought it just plain was bad. I didn't want to sit through that garbage. I went back to my 2D Sonic right after that, and only time I thought about looking back was picking up Sonic Colors for the Wii, which I still haven't played, actually.

• Like 1

In the 90s it was definately Sonic. I was a Sega fanboy.

But now it is definately Mario. I haven't been disappointed with any game starring Mario recently. Both 3D and 2D the games are still great.

I still think Sonic is a great character, he just needs to some good games again.

• Like 1

Sonic games are not very good nowadays, but neither are Mario games. It could be Mario, he's an Atari mascot after all, although Sonic was 'cool' at the time of the Megadrive (Mario was never cool) but for me it's the other Atari mascot, Bounty Bob

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

Depends in what respect:

• Mario is a lot more famous worldwide
  • Sonic is a lot faster than Mario
  • Mario has more strength than Sonic
  • Sonic can cut through almost anything when he's spinning

You can have a fight between Mario + Sonic on Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii.

Overall, they are both heroes in their own games. In my opinion, Mario is better. Sonic is just faster, but Mario saves Princess Peach from the trouble she gets into numerous times. Sonic cannot compare to that. Sonic has done some good deeds, but he has not compared to Mario's heroic actions

I love the original Sonic on the Genesis. It's fun and the music hits me right in the nostalgia. Sonic 2 and 3 are good. Sonic CD feels like a confusing mess but I still hang onto it because my Sega CD needs all the "not bad" games it can get. I keep Sonic & Knuckles around because of that awesome gimmick of plugging other Sonic games into it. Sega really got creative when it came to plugging their hardware into each other. That's about as far as I go with Sonic. I played the first stage of Sonic Adventure after suffering through that awful introduction with the voice acting but was completely turned off by it all. I bought Sonic and the Secret Rings for Wii when it came out hoping it would be good. It was in my Wii once.

On the other hand, I've got just about every Mario action game that was released and have enjoyed them all. I even warmed up to Super Mario 64 after dismissing it for many years. Nintendo finds new ways to breathe new life into his games, some with great success (Super Mario Galaxy), others not so much (Super Mario Sunshine).

I don't really care about the characters themselves. It's the gameplay that matters. Unfortunately, Sega defined Sonic as a character that runs really fast and collects rings. They pretty much pigeon-holed his gameplay by tying him to those two things. Mario is a plumber but you never see him fixing anybody's plumbing. He could be a blue and red rectangle for all it matters. He's donning racoon suits and flying around, throwing fireballs, performing backfips, triple-jumps, ice-skating, riding a green dinosaur that eats things, and so on. I vote Mario.

Depends in what respect:

• Mario is a lot more famous worldwide
  • Sonic is a lot faster than Mario
  • Mario has more strength than Sonic
  • Sonic can cut through almost anything when he's spinning

You can have a fight between Mario + Sonic on Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii.

Overall, they are both heroes in their own games. In my opinion, Mario is better. Sonic is just faster, but Mario saves Princess Peach from the trouble she gets into numerous times. Sonic cannot compare to that. Sonic has done some good deeds, but he has not compared to Mario's heroic actions

:-D :-D :-D

Nothing against Sonic, but Mario. I liked the Sonic games a lot more growing up (at least as much as Mario games), but I just can't get into them now. Super Mario Bros., meanwhile is one of my favorite games of all time. And I love SMB2, 3, World, and Mario 64 too.

The Sonic Adventure games on Dreamcast are pretty awesome though.

• Like 1