Sign in to follow this  
ataridave

Skyhammer and Iron Soldier 2 on cartridge-differences from CD versions?

So I noticed that both Skyhammer and Iron Soldier 2 are available on cartridge. What are the differences between these cartridge versions and the CD-ROM versions?

• Like 1

The difference between the Cart and the CD version of Skyhammer, is that no CD version exists :P

Whoops! OK, what about with Iron Soldier 2??

Did you miss the link I provided that answers this exact question?

I think madman gave you that link to telegames site because it also describes the differences between IS2 cart and CD. Personally, I wasn't too impressed with the FMV sequences in IS2 CD (even back in the day), the missing music may be more noticeable to some people.

"The cartridge version is identical to the CD version except that the FMV and red book soundtracks have been removed due to memory considerations. Everything else is the same…same missions, same adversaries, same weapons, same outstanding graphics, same super sound fx, and same unrivaled game play!"

Did you miss the link I provided that answers this exact question?

Yes I did; I just noticed it. Thank you for the link!

Here's some great footage of the first level:

Looks and sounds fantastic to me!

Edited by newataridave

It's too bad that Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands and Battlemorph were not also released on cartridge, because (along with Iron Soldier 2) those are the only 3 Jaguar CD games that interest me.

It's too bad that Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands and Battlemorph were not also released on cartridge, because (along with Iron Soldier 2) those are the only 3 Jaguar CD games that interest me.

In theory, you could always buy the original Hover Strike, Cybermorph, and Iron Soldier II on cartridge. Those are pretty darn close to the only 3 Jag CD games that interest you. ;)

• Like 1

Unfortunately Hover Strike on cart is quite a bit inferior to the CD version in graphic FX and FPS and playability options. And...Cybermorph is ok, but it's no substitute for Battlemorph in my book. Hoverstrike cart is at least a poor substitute for the CD since they aren't sequels but just original and totally improved and expanded version. I can say that IF you like Cybermorph and HoverStrike cart, then you'll love Battlemorph and HS CD. All the more reason (among many; new games, home-brews, VLM, etc.) to get a JagCD. So in my book the only GOOD substitute is IS2 cart for the Cd version.

Of course with me, there are 5 Jag CD games that are in my top 10 for the whole system and my top 4 favorites of the entire system are on the Jag CD. The Jaguar without the JagCD would take away half my favorite games on the system.

Edited by Gunstar

Unfortunately Hover Strike on cart is quite a bit inferior to the CD version in graphic FX and FPS and playability options. And...Cybermorph is ok, but it's no substitute for Battlemorph in my book. Hoverstrike cart is at least a poor substitute for the CD since they aren't sequels but just original and totally improved and expanded version. I can say that IF you like Cybermorph and HoverStrike cart, then you'll love Battlemorph and HS CD. All the more reason (among many; new games, home-brews, VLM, etc.) to get a JagCD. So in my book the only GOOD substitute is IS2 cart for the Cd version.

Of course with me, there are 5 Jag CD games that are in my top 10 for the whole system and my top 4 favorites of the entire system are on the Jag CD. The Jaguar without the JagCD would take away half my favorite games on the system.

Yeah, I'd love to get a Jaguar CD unit, but I would have no idea (other then eBay) where to look for one.

I guess what sucks about hoverstrike is that atari essentially put out an unfinished product with the cart version then just finished it with the CD version as far as I'm concerned. I think it would be fine without the CD music and the FMV (which I disable). I don't think anyone would've complained if it had fewer levels too ;)

IS2 is fine on cart, but I think it would've been nice to see it have some music. I wonder if it was left out due to capacity concerns, uncertaintly which version was intended for release, or just incomplete.

Edited by Willard

I guess what sucks about hoverstrike is that atari essentially put out an unfinished product with the cart version then just finished it with the CD version as far as I'm concerned. I think it would be fine without the CD music and the FMV (which I disable). I don't think anyone would've complained if it had fewer levels too ;)

I think for ~80% (+?) of the audience, one level would have been enough.

Yeah, I'd love to get a Jaguar CD unit, but I would have no idea (other then eBay) where to look for one.

Try Best for a new or reconditioned one. Cheaper than buying one on EBay and it's guaranteed to work.

Try Best for a new or reconditioned one. Cheaper than buying one on EBay and it's guaranteed to work.

Do you think the Marketplace in these forums would be a good place to start? I don't know that there would be many forum members that want to sell one.

Do you think the Marketplace in these forums would be a good place to start? I don't know that there would be many forum members that want to sell one.

It can't hurt, but I don't recall them coming up too often around here. You might get lucky on EBay with a lot, but generally speaking buying from Best will be cheaper.