IGNORED

BRAND NEW ANTI DUST COVER for ATARI XE

as...

Duddie wrote:

Hello Everybody! Emotikon smile Have You heard about BRAND NEW ANTI DUST COVER for ATARI XE? It protects our beloved Atari from dust and also from yellowing, becaust cover has a component that absorbs UV rays! You can get it also on ebay, type: "dust cover atari" and You'll see it Emotikon smile In near future also dust cover for: 800XL and the ST model, and maybe even for 600XL and 1200XL! What do You say about that Guys? Emotikon smile are You ready for shipping?

Cheers Emotikon smile...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dust-cover-for-ATARI-XE-brand-new-high-quality-/321676848575

• Like 4

fjc: who would have believed you can code such quality software when you can't round ;-)

$30 for a piece of acrylic is indeed way too much. It should cost less than $10.

It could cost less than $10 if they were made in some Asian country and you would order couple of thousands of them.

He have to charge that much, because he made short run production and you have to include the cost of prototypes. I think he has only a hundred XE covers made. It may take time to sell it, the market isn't that big. They are also made in Europe.

• Like 1

I think they look nice. Haven't ordered one because I am a bit concerned that they may not make the trip to the usa without damage. Seems every package I get from overseas is banged up and the box dented to some extent.

Wonder how susceptible these are to cracking?

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame

Hello all, I think it is time to enter the discussion, as I am a manufacturer of them... :) As ZuluGula said, they are made in Poland. It is not "just" a bit of acryllic material, as pseudografx said. It requires to design and manufacture quite expensive mould, special punch, boxes with printing. And even then, some fixes are required. Then, sell, wrap perfectly, ship and pay taxes: income tax and VAT. Are you sure that do you want to take $10 for all of it? Including your income? ;). And to invest not small amount of money, risking that you may loose?

One batch of covers may be 70-100 pieces, because I am not able to sell more within a reasonable period of time, and, I would need to rent a warehouse for keeping stock of thousands of covers.

Guys, please, prior to writing such stupid things, think twice. Otherwise I may start thinking that my work is unnecessary and all of you treat me as a scuff only. Thank you for your attention :)

• Like 9

I think they look nice. Haven't ordered one because I am a bit concerned that they may not make the trip to the usa without damage. Seems every package I get from overseas is banged up and the box dented to some extent.

Wonder how susceptible these are to cracking?

They are packed in rather rigid cartoon box, but also inside there is a big distance between cover and box walls. Also, material is not fragile for pressing - it is not totally rigid, but similar to blister packages, only thicker.

Edited by Duddie

kenjennings, 800XL is on the way, Atari ST/STE/Falcon is on the way, and some other models like C-64, Amiga 1200, Amiga 500. However, interest of retro fans is not that big, therefore I doubt that I will produce it for rarer models like 600/1200XL or 400/800 or even 520ST (with no disk drive). But time will tell. As you can imagine, every single model requires a lot of work to be done, from measuring a computer, drawing a mould, then pressing, fitting and so on.

• Like 1

Your only mistake initially was underselling the product, as you have seen most people presumed fragile plastic that may not travel well, now you have said what the consistency is and realise its not 'cheap Chinese rubbish' that there may well be some interest..

I wish you luck but until you secure interest and make an 800 and 800XL then I'm stuffed..

I've tried anti-UV lacquers before with zero success, ending up with re-yellowed plastic under a layer which needs stripping off before it can be retreated. Only the brown vinyl cover on my 1200XL manages to keep things from tarnishing too quickly. Good thing about these new covers is you can still appreciate the machine underneath and the need to fanny about with protective sprays is hopefully reduced.

I wonder how you could test its UV blocking abilities. Is there some sort of detecting agent that could be placed under it? How about a piece of SNES plastic. :)

Anyway, he seems to be catching a lot of grief for this product. Looks like he did a fine job to me.

I have not performed any tests with UV, as it needs time. For those of you wanted to know more, look here:

http://www.opencroquet.org/wholesale/pz666e66d-cz5046565-light-yellow-crystalline-powder-benzophenone-uv-absorber-for-polyolefin-pvc-polystyrene.html

As I said before, yellowing is caused not only by UV radiation, but also by temperature fluctuations and other factors. My primary idea was to protect device against dust and dirt, UV is only additional feature of this cover.

And I want to clarify one thing: it is not thin, brittle plastic. It is 1 mm thick, similar to blister packages, but much thicker. It is not fully rigid, has some flexibility, what protects it against damage.

But, you can only believe or not in my words. Just buy and see for yourself. If for some reasons you are not satisfied, you can return the product....