IGNORED

Jaguar Eproms

panamajoe

Hi,

i´m looking for someone who is able and willing to program Jaguar Eproms for me - just got my hands on some carts with sockets on them and would love to try them out. I have the necessary Eproms - but no programmer (and also no idea how use one).

And before the fighting and trolling starts: i do not want to pirate commercial stuff, i just would like to see some PDs/ demos on the "real" Jag.

PM me!

Thanks!

Hi,

i´m looking for someone who is able and willing to program Jaguar Eproms for me - just got my hands on some carts with sockets on them and would love to try them out. I have the necessary Eproms - but no programmer (and also no idea how use one).

And before the fighting and trolling starts: i do not want to pirate commercial stuff, i just would like to see some PDs/ demos on the "real" Jag.

PM me!

Thanks!

Your fellow German Nextgam ejagfest kids will be able to hook you up. Failing that...

!summon OMF

And no, the paranoid piracy FUD crowd sulked off some time ago, along with their lolsome softography and thou-shalt-not community rules. You'd be years late to a fighting and trolling BEWARE TEH ROMZ PIRATEZ circlejerk.

Still think you'd be better off with a skunkboard, though, eproms and old boards seems like hassle to see a few freebies, even if you had the programmer sat on your desk.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 3

Hi,

PM me!

Thanks!

see if anyone local to yourself can sort you out?

Matthias has the programming ability I believe?

if this is not the case and you cannot find anyone else local to you within a descent amount of time we can talk about shipping your eproms to me in the uk, programming what you want and sending back to you programmed eproms

Edited by omf

I think Matthias gets so little time to do his fun stuff that finding time might be tough, he's such an affable chap though that he might be up for it.

Those reprobate gamesters on nexgam though, they're more likely to be in a position to help out. They have a little crew who pool their resources and make their own carts of homebrews, it's damn cool stuff and all credit to them for caring enough and putting the effort in. Love seeing that stuff.

• Like 1

panamajoe, there are inexpensive programmers out there. I'd recommend a gq-4x with ADP-540 adapter available for 91.5 euro here. You may need an external power supply as the eeproms you use will take 12.5v to burn. (You'll also want to an eeprom eraser and an ic extractor, also available from that site)

Once you understand the encryption, it's easy to do. In the last two months I've enjoyed figuring this out and have burned 38 different titles. Mostly betas, partially finished games and enjoyable homebrew games made available for free by their authors.

sh3-rg is correct in that it's a lot cheaper to get a skunkboard than the supplies to make your own.

Edited by rayik

sh3-rg is correct in that it's a lot cheaper to get a skunkboard

I can see the appeal of making a ton of carts and having them all ready to go, depends how permanent you want your collection of goodies I suppose. Slightly more hassle in the short term for a more permanent collection of carts, or binaries and repeated flashing.

I can see the appeal of making a ton of carts and having them all ready to go, depends how permanent you want your collection of goodies I suppose. Slightly more hassle in the short term for a more permanent collection of carts, or binaries and repeated flashing.

Since I have a skunkboard, this was done mostly for the enjoyment of figuring out how to do it. It also greatly improved my soldering skills. I used 60 boards (2 roms with 42 pins each x 60 boards = 5,040 pins removed) and soldered sockets onto all 60 boards (5,040 pins soldered) I usually do hardware projects, either mods or making something. Next will be modding a Dreamcast to load from hdd.

Edited by rayik
  • Like 1

panamajoe, there are inexpensive programmers out there. I'd recommend a gq-4x with ADP-540 adapter available for 91.5 euro here. You may need an external power supply as the eeproms you use will take 12.5v to burn. (You'll also want to an eeprom eraser and an ic extractor, also available from that site)

Once you understand the encryption, it's easy to do. In the last two months I've enjoyed figuring this out and have burned 38 different titles. Mostly betas, partially finished games and enjoyable homebrew games made available for free by their authors.

sh3-rg is correct in that it's a lot cheaper to get a skunkboard than the supplies to make your own.

Forgive my ignorance on this issue, but... to make 38 additional 'burned' titles, do you have to use sac carts to create them (like PPL do with the NeoGeo or other retro repro titles for classic platforms?).

Forgive my ignorance on this issue, but... to make 38 additional 'burned' titles, do you have to use sac carts to create them (like PPL do with the NeoGeo or other retro repro titles for classic platforms?).

You can buy cart shells and PCBs online for next to nothing. No need to sac valuable carts like Club Drive.

to make 38 additional 'burned' titles, do you have to use sac carts to create them (like PPL do with the NeoGeo or other retro repro titles for classic platforms?)

Since rayik mentions removing pins, I assume he's recycling existing game carts. I just hope it's 60 copies of Checkered Flag :P

B & C sells "bad" cart pcbs, 20 for $15. They come with masked roms soldered to them that have to be removed.

I then socket everything which means the pcb will not fit in a shell, so I don't buy shells.

Right now I'm trying to get bh1121 to work as a cart (file "cartboot" made available by Curt Vendel) It's a .cof file and I previously did something to make it work on the skunkboard. However I deleted what was working. I don't remember what I did. I'm getting fails using both the atari tool "filefix" and jiffi when converting cof to rom.

Although I have a Skunkboard, there are some homebrews I would like to have permanently burned to cart as well.

Maybe someone will offer it someday as a service; it's common on some other console platforms.

It won't be me. However I'll be glad to share what I've learned to anyone who wants to do this themself. Edited by rayik

I found a Eprom Burning Service (buyicnow) that even has the 27c160 and 27c800 Eproms...

BUT: How do i split the files i want to get programmed? If i (f.e.) want to have a 2Meg file on an Eprom, than it would fit on one 27c160. But the carts i have do have two sockets...

Can i leave one socket blank or do i have to split up the file in some way?

Thanks for your help!

It won't be me. However I'll be glad to share what I've learned to anyone who wants to do this themself.

I was actually considering setting up what I needed to burn on a regular basis. Between these home-brews and other systems without a SD card cart, it might be worth it (and very convenient). Does anyone have a list of the best/better models needed?

Thanks

B & C sells "bad" cart pcbs, 20 for $15. They come with masked roms soldered to them that have to be removed.

I then socket everything which means the pcb will not fit in a shell, so I don't buy shells.

Right now I'm trying to get bh1121 to work as a cart (file "cartboot" made available by Curt Vendel) It's a .cof file and I previously did something to make it work on the skunkboard. However I deleted what was working. I don't remember what I did. I'm getting fails using both the atari tool "filefix" and jiffi when converting cof to rom.

It won't be me. However I'll be glad to share what I've learned to anyone who wants to do this themself.

Would you be willing to post a tutorial? Hope I didn't just cross a line asking for this.