IGNORED

Do I open it? Sealed Demon Attack for O2

ScottyDont00

So i recently decided to go for my first complete collection and landed on the O2 ( US releases ) after getting the system and 7 games CIB at an estate auction with a bunch of other retro gaming items. I knew it would be hard to find a few of the titles CIB in the condition I an aiming for, and that Atlantis, Demon Attack, Powerlords were going to set me back a few dollars.

Little did I know that buried deep in my bing.com search for Odyssey 2 games for sale on PAGE 23 of search results.... yes I went that deep and I know its a problem but after seeing the pictures of my find below and learning the price you will understand that I will probably go through the rest of the search results even if the page numbers go into the 1000's.

I saw the item description: Demon Attack cartridge game for the Odyssey 2 computer. New retail box. $17 for Odyssey2.

Some of the items on this site have pictures.. this did not and the skeptic in me said there was no way... but it's always worth an e-mail to ask for a few photos so I shot an email to the generic inbox and 1 day later got a reply saying I will see if I can fins it to send pictures but I know those boxes for O2 were not sturdy and usually get worn quickly. Another 2 days later I go into work fire up the laptop and see a reply with the attached photos.

Asking price was( I bought it 20 seconds after I saw the pictures): $17 plus $8 shipping and handling.... best I've seen on eBay was 89.99 w/ free shipping.....

So the question presents itself:

Do open this and play it... or do I just try to get a good deal on loose cartridge that works and leave this guy in its shrink wrap?

Please leave some feedback.. I'm am really conflicted here...

post-41379-0-11093100-1425131271_thumb.jpg

post-41379-0-28000800-1425131287_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I say open it and play it. Most games are *really* difficult to play and enjoy sitting in a box. Not sure if you can still get one, but there used to be a website that sold a multi-cart for the O2. If you can get a hold of one of those to at least enjoy playing the game then I would say keep it sealed.

Edited by jetset

Well I can't advise you as to the financial aspect of it but as to the emotional...

Screw sealed game collecting. That cart's destiny was to be played. FULFILL THAT CART'S DESTINY

In all reality this carts destiny would have been to have been opened 30 years ago and been played. Probably had the box thrown out immediately by most consumers.

Then enjoyed maybe a year or 2 at best and then the cart thrown out or sold for next to nothing as well...along with the system.

But that didn't happen, it remained unused all this time and in a pristine state...so it has become something special and unusual that very few still exist of.

Of course ultimately its up to you if you want to pop it open and play it....but with so many open copies it seems only sensible to trade it to someone who wants to keep it sealed and get yourself one of the numerous open copies.

and then enjoy the extra money you have to buy some more open games.

If we use cars as an example, you could drive a mint 57 chevy in a demo derby...but you could also get a $500 beater that would also serve the purpose just as well...so why? :)

Or tear the game open and play it if you want, its up to you in the end :) haha Maybe wrap it in wrapping paper first if you do and put a bow on it...

• Like 2

I wouldn't open it *unless* the shrinkwrap was starting to kill the box. Even if it was crushing the box, my personal history says I wouldn't unseal it, but I'd at least consider the option.

I've never seen a boxed O2 game, much less a sealed one. If I had one of those it would have a very special place in my collection.

However, I do like that there are still people opening old games--as long as they're not my games.

If we use cars as an example, you could drive a mint 57 chevy in a demo derby...but you could also get a $500 beater that would also serve the purpose just as well...so why? :)

Wow, because of course playing a game damage severely the cart?

I did the exact same comparison and I didn't come to the same conclusion.

A game is meant to be played, as a car is meant to drive.

Suure, you can say "look, this game has been sealed for 30 years". But then what?

For what you know, there might be a rock in the box and it was resealed. You'll never know!

Yes, when you open the box to play the game, accident may happen. Your cousin might spill beer on it while the cart is out. Lightning might strike on your house whiel you play and it would burn your system and cart.

Or you house might burn and your sealed copy be turned to ashes.

In the same way, your neighbour might drive the same car since 45 years and never even got a bump on his car, but the very day you decide to do your yearly 2 miles drive with your pristine 57 Chevy, a dumbass run into it.

Sealed copies collection is the most absurd thing I ever heard of. Do you know of car collectors that try to get all their cars at zero kilometers? One that was never filled with petrol?

I don't deny that I own some sealed games, but it's the msot common games of the system, no one will miss. But when I got the whole deck of 20 games for the system, all sealed... The rarest ones, the ones that I'll never find for the same price, those I opened up! They need to be played.

There is NOTHING special about a sealed game; especially from this era; most games were not sealed, so this is probably a shop seal. It only mean that you have high chances to find the exact content of the game box, nothing else.

Haha

sure you can rationalize it anyway you want. You can argue that there is no special item in the world and nothing is a precious antiquity.

Yes eventually everything will be destroyed....does that mean nothing should be collected or kept in top condition?

So why is there nothing special about a sealed game? And why especially this era?

What Era is special then?

By this logic why keep the box even...why is that special? It gives you no greater game play?

And yes Imagic games were certainly all sealed. You can also tell original seals on many games if you know what to look for. And many if nit most games were sealed...I think you are quite wrong there.

I also love to go and see old cars...if these had not all been treated the way they were for the last 40-100 years, without doubt they would not be here for people to enjoy today.

Of course not every car was kept like this but its wonderful to have some examples like this for generations to admire.

And of course at any time anything can be destroyed, that makes it no less important till that happens and then only makes the others left that much more important.

This can apply to anything really...regardless of how trivial anyone might think the item might be.

It's all a matter of opinion though like I said and I see both sides...I guess if he opens it we will still have my sealed demon attack as an example :D

• Like 1

Sealed copies collection is the most absurd thing I ever heard of. Do you know of car collectors that try to get all their cars at zero kilometers? One that was never filled with petrol?

I don't deny that I own some sealed games, but it's the msot common games of the system, no one will miss. But when I got the whole deck of 20 games for the system, all sealed... The rarest ones, the ones that I'll never find for the same price, those I opened up! They need to be played.

There is NOTHING special about a sealed game; especially from this era; most games were not sealed, so this is probably a shop seal. It only mean that you have high chances to find the exact content of the game box, nothing else.

Actually, yes, there are car collectors who seek out extremely low mileage vintage cars. They are on a whole different level of collecting, and yes, there are examples of vintage cars with under 10 miles. I remember a magazine article I read 10 or 15 years ago about a 1973 Mustang convertible that was purchased brand new, driven onto a trailer at the dealership, towed home, and put directly into storage. The buyer thought it would be collectible since the general consensus at the time was that this would be the last year Ford offered a Mustang convertible. Of course, the car now resides in a high-end Mustang collection. I know there is/was at least one Mustang collector that had several examples of extremely low mileage, all-original cars.

Unused/unopened vintage merchandise provides a unique look back in time. I recently picked up some old IBM software/games for my IBM 5150 that were New-Old-Stock and still sealed in the plastic wrap. I ripped off the shrink wrap and have been using/playing the software for the last few weeks. It's a trip opening the package for the first time, loading up the pristine 5.25" floppy disk, and reading through the immaculate paper documentation and manuals. Almost like stepping 30 years into the past.

Nonetheless, I would certainly think twice about doing this with any game that has substantial monetary value as a sealed, unused vintage collectible. A 30+ year old video game is only sealed/unused once, and they aren't making any more new original copies of Demon Attack. Once you open that sealed game, you are making all of the other sealed examples more valuable. If you are okay with that, then open it up. If not, leave it sealed...

Edited by Retro-Z

Tought descision. I also have Demon Attack NIB along with Atlantis for the O2. I am not a collector of sealed games, as I do agree games are meant to be played, but it just ended up that way. I have not opened my copies yet and will probably get a loose cart to play. I have opened new NES,atari and intellivision games and yes it stings a bit but at least they are getting played.

Guess you're better off selling your sealed copy and get a unsealed copy and some spare cash.

That's why i don't buy sealed. I don't have to feel bad, if i open them up. I do have a few sealed games, most of them for the nokia ngage. But they are still sealed because i didn't have time to play them yet.

You can get the Odyssey2 multi - cart for $40 from packrat video games... DEMON ATTACK is on there.... this way you can play the game on your O2 with the multi-cart and leave this one sealed IMO.

http://packratvg.com/

233-in-1 Multicart $40 New (re-release)!
Limited stock for now,
built on demand, with
pre-orders being
shipped first.
All orders will be on a
wait list, till Packrat
eventually catches up
with a fairly large
backorder for this item.

(S/H $6 U.S., Canada $12
all other countries $16).

• Like 2

I'd at least take the shrinkwrap off. It will only damage the box over time.

Besides, if Odyssey 2 games were like Atari games, shrinkwrap was added by the retailer and isn't technically "original" anyway. The price stickers are kind of neat, though; they add to the history and provenance of it.

Sealed games are useless. It may be worth 20 bucks to someone. It may be worth 120 bucks to someone else. Who cares? Open the game up and experience what it's like to open a sealed game and play it for the first time. That's priceless. Leave it sealed and it's just a box with shrinkwrap on it collecting dust.

You can get the Odyssey2 multi - cart for $40 from packrat video games... DEMON ATTACK is on there.... this way you can play the game on your O2 with the multi-cart and leave this one sealed IMO.

http://packratvg.com/

233-in-1 Multicart $40 New (re-release)!

Limited stock for now,

built on demand, with

pre-orders being

shipped first.

All orders will be on a

wait list, till Packrat

eventually catches up

with a fairly large

backorder for this item.

(S/H $6 U.S., Canada $12

all other countries $16).

You are going to make me go broke giving me all these sites with O2 stuff for sale..... :-D

Edited by ScottyDont00