IGNORED

Commercially successful Jaguar

Eyemsougly

AI: Nope, not enough RAM in the jriscs.

Network link up: Nope, UART is bugged, needs nanny watching from a cpu to make work.

65000 colours: Odd number. 65536 is 16-bit, not 24 bit.

It was always told that no one knew how to make the link mode work, except one of the Scatologic team who found a workaround for the bug as showed in Aircars and Battlesphere.

Reading your comment makes me think that you know the "solution" too?

Edited by Isgoed

“BattleSphere might have looked better on the PSX [in terms of raw polygon count], but its gameplay would have suffered. The Jaguar’s multiple CPUs let me do things with physics and AI that were a good five years ahead of the rest of the industry. It wasn’t until Halo that I finally felt utterly outgunned.”

LOL

That's what you get when an article is 'Liard interviewing the people that who's nutsacks he's swinging from'

• Like 3

It was always told that no one knew how to...

Jaguar fans have been told a great many things by people who should know better and in fact in some cases actually do.

The lengths some people went to to establish, maintain and preserve their overly-inflated egos... to the detriment of the unknowing fans who idol worshiped them.

1349671222542_8078531.png

• Like 3

“BattleSphere might have looked better on the PSX [in terms of raw polygon count], but its gameplay would have suffered. The Jaguar’s multiple CPUs let me do things with physics and AI that were a good five years ahead of the rest of the industry. It wasn’t until Halo that I finally felt utterly outgunned.”

LOL

That's what you get when an article is 'Liard interviewing the people that who's nutsacks he's swinging from'

LaIrd did not interview them. It was a John Szczepaniak. Good lord what a last name to spell.

If you ask me what REALISTIC option Atari could have pursued to carve out anything resembling a sustainable/survivable niche would have been forgetting about the Jaguar entirely and doing a Lynx 2, one with backwards compatibility, competitive battery life, and a more pocketable form factor. Portable games was the one area Atari's financial constraints would have made far less of a difference in relative game quality/competitiveness, and even the Lynx 1 technology was still more than competitive with what the competition was doing at the time. Even then they'd be competing against the juggernaut GameBoy line, which no one was really able to make much of a dent in until the PSP (and even that, far, far, behind), but at least it seems they would have had a chance, particularly with the right type of addictive portable games.

Considering that even the creator of the GameBoy attempted to compete with Nintendo shows that the door was opened to try. The WonderSwan used less batteries and was much more compact. It had Bandai to help which really should have made it a bigger interest, even in it's own country. Whether it was ever going to have an overseas future was probably speculative.

I think the growing popularity of RPGs also contributed to Atari's lackluster performance in the mid to late nineties. If they would have seen from the mid nineties up (when the WonderSwan was being designed) as a chance to catch onto new ideas they may have grabbed up an Ultima game here or a Might and Magic game there and appeared to have some link to the emerging desires of the current gaming crowd. If, instead of folding under the pressure, they would have brought out a Lynx Redux around ninety-five and (*sigh..not shut the Jags tail in the door so hard) then caught Nintendo in a transition between baby-crap green and colors and being laughed at for the Vitual Boy, the could have been able to pick up some portable potency!

It all seems to be penny chasing and bad marketing that keeps Atari from being what they could have been (ahem..8K Pac-Man!!)! I totally agree that the Lynx should have been brought back, though! It was the first handheld with a color LCD, the first to have scaling (really sweet scaling, too!), 16 linked up players, a flippable screen (like lefties can't adapt!? More of a novelty.), and games that went vertical! It's still a sweet system in my opinion.

Edited by Papa
  • Like 1

Ah yes, I confused that nonsense with the "interview my 'friends' and publish ridiculous quotes" piece of garbage that Liard did in #119. He hadn't yet infested Retrogamer in #26 yet.

I don't suppose the interviewer (LOL) matters when the actual quote is so insanely insulting to the readers intelligence.

• Like 2

The Lynx was the best system they had. They should have invested in a successor to the Lynx instead of the Jaguar. With mobile phone games being so huge right now, they could have learned enough tech to create their own phone! Or at least learned what makes the most $$ in the mobile area and had a ton of ready made games for iPhone and Android.

• Like 1

I totally agree that the Lynx should have been brought back, though! It was the first handheld with a color LCD, the first to have scaling (really sweet scaling, too!), 16 linked up players, a flippable screen (like lefties can't adapt!? More of a novelty.), and games that went vertical! It's still a sweet system in my opinion.

The Lynx was the best system they had. They should have invested in a successor to the Lynx instead of the Jaguar.

Speaking of Lynx love - http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233632-lynx-lcd-replacementvga-out-by-mcwill/

It's MORE AWESOME THAN EVER now! :D

• Like 1

Last few posts saved me digging through cupboards to see if i'd kept said issue.So i was on right lines, person was claiming Jaguar hardware allowed them to do A.I routines PS1 etc would'nt of and it was'nt until an Xbox game, in this case Halo that they'd seen better.Knew it was Xbox related and earlier on in RG's life under I.P than..it's current pool of freelancers.

Anywho, all that aside...

I too feel Lynx was THE best hardware Atari had and an improved model (faster, smaller, sharper screen, better battery life) etc would of been superb, but maybe not in Atari's hands....

This is a little off topic, but if everybody here agrees that there was no way for the Jaguar to succeed (and now even I'm convinced) what do you think would have been Atari's best option?

Some of you have suggested a sequel to the Lynx but I'm not even sure the PSP and Game Gear were profitable so I'm not sure that's the right path. Plus the Lynx was terrible. I'm not getting the love for it.

Would it have been possible for Atari to just pivot to software development? Sega ended up doing the same thing less than a decade after the Jaguar was released so maybe Atari could have made it work.

This is a little off topic, but if everybody here agrees that there was no way for the Jaguar to succeed (and now even I'm convinced) what do you think would have been Atari's best option?

Take whichever hardware they had that has the best chance of making people take notice. Put as little money into it as possible but make all the right noises. Place all the pressure on 3rd parties to invest their own money, keep as much cash in the bank as possible. Catch the eye of the usual greedy investors looking to make it rich quick and quietly transfer and trade away as much of the company as possible. Take what you can, where you can, as quick as you can. Sell up, retire, put your feet up and buy a playstation for the kids next holidays.

Oh wait...

• Like 4

Some of you have suggested a sequel to the Lynx but I'm not even sure the PSP and Game Gear were profitable so I'm not sure that's the right path. Plus the Lynx was terrible. I'm not getting the love for it.

Would it have been possible for Atari to just pivot to software development? Sega ended up doing the same thing less than a decade after the Jaguar was released so maybe Atari could have made it work.

There were only two significant flaws with the Lynx relative to its era. One was the battery life and the other was its size. A true successor could have addressed both issues. Otherwise, it's very hard to argue with the quality and versatility of the original Lynx and it being the foundation of a series of systems.

Skipping hardware altogether and going the software route might have worked for a while, but as you can see with what's happening with Sega now, that only buys you so much time unless you produce the right software. Since the Atari of that time was fully separate from the arcade division, you have to look at what the company was producing for their own platforms and extrapolating to what they might have produced had they focused exclusively as a third party software developer for others. That outlook is not that good either.

• Like 2

Thing is during late 80s to mid 90s video gaming in US was under Japanese invasion/control, and Japanese developers never code for foreign made machines (They tried with 3DO, but that's only due to Panasonic being a Jap 3DO manufacturer). So he Jag never stood a chance getting 'good'?(famous/ popular) Japanese softs. The day the US surrendered to the Japanese and gave away the video game hardware business.

I think the Lynx was not too big, it was just right, and wasn't it a cool shape, and even cooler black. The GB looked like a cheap Japanese toy (which it was). And the screen was green, games were B&W, I thought at the time, who want's to go back to the 70s gaming. Obviously everyone did.

It was the same with the NES, I already was an 16-bit Amiga gamer and I thought nobody with go back to 8-bit gaming. Well, obviously the US people did.

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

Thing is during late 80s to mid 90s video gaming in US was under Japanese invasion/control, and Japanese developers never code for foreign made machines (They tried with 3DO, but that's only due to Panasonic being a Jap 3DO manufacturer). So he Jag never stood a chance getting 'good'?(famous/ popular) Japanese softs. The day the US surrendered to the Japanese and gave away the video game hardware business.

I think the Lynx was not too big, it was just right, and wasn't it a cool shape, and even cooler black. The GB looked like a cheap Japanese toy (which it was). And the screen was green, games were B&W, I thought at the time, who want's to go back to the 70s gaming. Obviously everyone did.

It was the same with the NES, I already was an 16-bit Amiga gamer and I thought nobody with go back to 8-bit gaming. Well, obviously the US people did.

Now show us on the teddy where the naughty Japanese man touched you...

il_340x270.647696414_6ia7.jpg

• Like 6

The Xbox series has proven you don't need success in Japan to have a relevant game system, just enough resources (and certainly Japanese developers will support your system if there's sufficient user base). As we've known since forever, Atari never had the resources to compete effectively post-Crash.

Plus the Lynx was terrible. I'm not getting the love for it.

Gobsmacked, as they say. You're pretty much the first I've ever seen comment in this site that they think the Lynx is 'terrible'.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I couldn't disagree more strongly. Wow.

• Like 3

I hate all portable gaming systems except for the gameboy which I liked as a kid but now think is stupid. I don't see mobile games as the future of gaming because mobile gaming sucks. Phones are for talking and texting, not playing shitty games on a tiny screen with no buttons.

• Like 1

[...] if everybody here agrees that there was no way for the Jaguar to succeed (and now even I'm convinced) what do you think would have been Atari's best option?

Some of you have suggested a sequel to the Lynx [...]

If you are video computer system company, who will need to bring in money to pay for offices, computers, employment salary and so on, even though you cut down letting people go, at some point you need to re-enter your market (video games) and try your best to bring in money to your company by often put all eggs in the same basket (or two).

They did try Lynx two times, big Lynx 1 and slim Lynx 2. If Lynx 2 didn't work why try Lynx 3? Yon need to start out fresh again...

If Lynx 1 and 2 didn't make it happen, try again to strike at the home system market, the other side of the coin Lynx/home system. They tried with the Jaguar, it could work or not. We know the rest, but there isn't much you can choose from as a video game company.

They did all they could with Lynx 2 and after that the Jaguar. It just didn't survive the competition. I see no other options... maybe the VR that didn't bless the future as people thought in the beginning (and mid) 90's maybe.

Just my opinion on the "subject" on commercial success.

• Like 1

To level that a little more.

The VR helmet as a new dimension of video games could have been that alternative way.

The did develop it, maybe people just lost faith in VR being the "next thing", along with Atari who scrapped it. That the only alternative way I can't see.

Edited by Atlantis

To level that a little more.

The VR helmet as a new dimension of video games could have been that alternative way.

The did develop it, maybe people just lost faith in VR being the "next thing", along with Atari who scrapped it. That the only alternative way I can't see.

20 years later and VR still isn't 100%... if you seriously believe Atari could have made that work with no budget, a Jaguar, some candles and some lynx sized screen........

• Like 1

Given that years ago HASBRO canned it's planned Home VR System after sinking X amounts of Millions into R+D (depending on which claims you read it's quoted as spending anything from $40 million to $59 Million+) which would of used Argonaut's BRender as system software and had at least 1 game in development, plus claims from likes of ARCADE magazine that Nolan Bushnell had annouced he was planning an affordable Home VR system, but nothing was ever seen of it (no idea if this claim is true, it's yet another side not in a look back feature in a UK magazine)...i too just struggle to see where Atari would of found either the resources or indeed the technology to produce a feasable, mass market VR system for the home.