IGNORED

What to do with a homeless pacman

SIO2

I hope it's not a fire hazard.

Nah, I never play that game anyhow. Seriously though during testing my cart did not get hot but this was just an experiment. Don't try making or using this cart.

It seemed obvious to me that it isn't a real solution for the lack of new replacement shells and was just a for fun experiment but perhaps some people didn't see it that way.

Again, don't try this at home.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

eBay it as a "deluxe collector's edition"

Looks more like a mock early prototype to me.

I wouldn't sell something that shabby though. It was really only an experiment that I hoped might stimulate some thought about alternate cart designs. Cardboard just happened to be a quick and easy way to rough something out.

Technically, no cartridge shell is required. The game pcb can still be inserted into a machine and played. Games without shells take up a lot less storage space.

Shells make handling carts nicer though. Some of the boards have sharp edges and or sharp soldered pins. In addition to making the cart more comfortable to handle, it keeps a person from having to come in contact with the lead based solder. The shell also protects the game from damage and keeps it clean while helping to guide the game into the cartridge slot.

Atari's cartridge shell design was excellent and I can see why a lot of pacmans get their shell robbed for home brew projects.

I believe though that a satisfactory cartridge design could be made from simple cast or machined layers in sandwich fashion and that it could be done safely using more appropriate materials and allowing more head space for the heat that can potentially be generated by the integrated circuit to dissipate.

Just curious but, does anyone happen to know what the metal shield on the game pcb that sits over the IC was for?

Edited by SIO2

Rare, one of a kind, deluxe collector's mock early prototype of arcade legend Pacman for the eternally great Atari 2600 VCS home video game system. Sealed, never opened, signed by Nole and Bushwell.

Includes certificate stating this is an authentic one of a kind mock early prototype.

PM me your offers over $50K

post-37734-0-22196000-1425231827_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I love it !!!! :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

snip cardboard in teh shape of Pac-Man or what ever game character is associated with the game

I like Duct Tape idea too :jango:

some, maybe most 2600 consoles have dust shutters in the cart slot so a bare PCB doesn't always work like you would hope

also want to make sure NOT to insert upside down I don't think ( but not sure what it would do )

• Like 2

good thing you cut off this part

5wcJetk.jpg

I got it out of the trash after it had been mailed. That's called recycling. Hey I was trying to save the Earth. Yeah, you are welcome.

I suppose I could still ship it somewhere by priority mail - someday. Or just put it back where I found it.

Edited by SIO2

So are you all lawyers in this forum?

Cause I got this thing with some unpaid parking tickets, a three legged dog that bit me and a drunken prostitute who also bit me and I could use some help.

Edited by SIO2