IGNORED

TI 99 - Hardware Identification needed

Schmitzi

It looks like it is another variant of the Heiner Martin Supermodul board (at least it is using that board layout for its starting point). With that initial identification, it is a GRAM module. If you look at the side of the board that isn't visible, you should find two groups of stacked memory chips (one of five 8K chips and one of two (the stack of two may possibly have a third chip that is a loader ROM)). The switch is to write protect the cartridge.

Nice use of a pair of eraser (rubber, for you Europeans) halves too. . .

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I received the current issue of TIjdingen today. It had a notice in it that they recently found out that Heiner Martin had passed away on March 20, 2016 after a short but serious illness at the Uni-Klinikum in Ulm. Yet another of the folks who helped us get into the internals of the 99/4A is no longer with us. . .thanks to Beery Harmsen for the update!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Not meaning to necroressurect a thread, but I got a nice reproduction of the Heiner Martin 1985 cart board in the mail from Mantadoc.  It has two spots for 2764s along with the GROM logic ICs.

Does anyone know which ones of these were GROM and which was ROM, and what the original use cases of the 8K GROM + 8K ROM was?  I see people made glorious modifications above to 128K and 256K, which is awesome.

That's an interesting weird board set. The bottom board has all of the addressing logic for the GROM space and the boards that plug into the connector have the EPROMs along with what looks like the ROM and GROM select chips (and wiring, as I suspect the wires to either side of the LS42 are setting the GROM select number for the EPROMs).

• Like 1

[mention=25598]arcadeshopper[/mention] - Was it that set that someone on Facebook had posted recently?  That's a really cool homebrew set of carts.  Like Ksarul said - having it split up like that is kind of cool.

Yes I was able to acquire it from them before they were banished from Facebook

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Never having joined Facebook I have no clue to how they operate.  I also do not want to know who the banned person is.  I would like to know however what offense a person must commit to get them booted from the platform.
They have been committing fraud in the retro communities for years. Started in the apple fritter groups in like 2007. I'm assuming the account got reported over and over until Fb banned it. I bought an additional non ti item from him but it seemed like he was never going to ship it and then even after he said he did ship it no tracking for like a week and a half.. popped up in tracking finally a few days after he blew up at me asking for details as to where it was shipped at.. shrug well see what I get in the box

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2020 at 9:26 PM, acadiel said:

Not meaning to necroressurect a thread, but I got a nice reproduction of the Heiner Martin 1985 cart board in the mail from Mantadoc.  It has two spots for 2764s along with the GROM logic ICs.

Does anyone know which ones of these were GROM and which was ROM, and what the original use cases of the 8K GROM + 8K ROM was?  I see people made glorious modifications above to 128K and 256K, which is awesome.

The EPROM(s) parallel to the 'LS161 counters is the GROM and the EPROM perpendicular is the ROM.