IGNORED

How to transfer files PC to Atari ST

OK, it's been years since I've copied files off my PC to an Atari ST disk. If I remember correctly, I'd format a 720k disk in my Atari ST, put the disk in my PC drive, and then copy the Atari ST files to it.

I'm trying to copy Music Studio .SNG files over to my ST.

Now when I'm trying it, I format the disk in my ST and stick it in my PC and it tells me the disk isn't formatted. So I perform a format on my PC, copy the files to the disk and put it in my ST.

Well, my ST reads the disk, but it says "Not A Song File" when I try to load it into Music Studio.

I can't believe every single song file is bad, so I conclude that they aren't copying correctly.

Anyone got any ideas how to get these files over to my ST?

Thanks!!!

NEVER MIND!!! Problem solved...

I had to drop down to a very old version of DOS to get a correctly formatted disk. Now my PC-to-ST copy works fine.

OK, it's been years since I've copied files off my PC to an Atari ST disk. If I remember correctly, I'd format a 720k disk in my Atari ST, put the disk in my PC drive, and then copy the Atari ST files to it.

I'm trying to copy Music Studio .SNG files over to my ST.

Now when I'm trying it, I format the disk in my ST and stick it in my PC and it tells me the disk isn't formatted. So I perform a format on my PC, copy the files to the disk and put it in my ST.

Well, my ST reads the disk, but it says "Not A Song File" when I try to load it into Music Studio.

I can't believe every single song file is bad, so I conclude that they aren't copying correctly.

Anyone got any ideas how to get these files over to my ST?

Thanks!!!

Hi,

Regarding the SNG files. Are they ones you've composed or ones that come with the MS package?

I'm admin of the SNDH archive and have written a SNG to SNDH converter. Therefore if they are 'rare' please send them to me so I can included them in the next SNDH update.

Grazey

When I have to use floppy, I format it on the ST. The PC can read/write it. If you format it on PC, the ST won't read it.

That's what I was implying, so long as your TOS is >=1.4, format on the ST and everything just works.

Edited by galax

I originally tried formatting my disk using windows ME...XP would only let me format a 1.44mb disk, but ME let me format 720k. These did not work however.

I finally got the bright idea of formatting from DOS so I booted a v5.0 of DOS and used:

format a: /f:720 ...unless I entered the 720, ME also wanted to format the disk as 1.44mb even though it was a DS/DD disk.

these now work fine in both my PC and Atari ST.

As I said...it's been years since I had done this.

When I have to use floppy, I format it on the ST. The PC can read/write it. If you format it on PC, the ST won't read it. I think it's a FAT12 vs. a FAT16 thing. PLM, is that right?

As is said many times, on WIndows you need command prompt, format a: /t:80 /n:9 - that will produce 720K floppy - 9 sectors x 80 tracks = 720K (1 sector is 512 bytes, but there are 2 sides) .

Default format is 1.44 MB .

Actually, if want to be nitpick PC format is better than on "Atari" - you will have 2KB more free space on floppy. Or use specialized format SW on Atari instead Desktop, where can set FAT length to 3 instead 5 :)

• Like 1

These are not originals (at least not mine)...a year or so ago I was looking for Music Studio songs and posted a message here. Several people directed me to sites with songs.

Between all the archives I d/l there are over 600 songs.

In fact, you also answered me telling me about your SNDH page.

Here is the thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222320-music-studio-songs/?do=findComment&comment=2935266

Hi,

Regarding the SNG files. Are they ones you've composed or ones that come with the MS package?

I'm admin of the SNDH archive and have written a SNG to SNDH converter. Therefore if they are 'rare' please send them to me so I can included them in the next SNDH update.

Grazey