IGNORED

5200 blank screen

atariSpikePgh

Hello everyone. I am new to the forums.

I have an old Atari 5200 from my childhood.

I recently tried to hook it up to my LCD flatscreen TV.

I followed the instructions at http://www.atariage.com/howto/connect.html and purchased a "Coaxial (F-type) to Female RCA Adapter" and hooked this into a Coaxial switch box. This switch box connects my cable and Atari 5200 to the Coaxial input in the TV.

When the switch is activated, I am getting a blank screen and my TV reads "no signal". However, I am getting audio.

Even more odd, I have the 5200 to 2600 adaptor at http://www.gamepodunk.com/gallery/image/1882-atari-vcs-cartridge-adaptor-for-2600-games-on-5200/. When I place a 2600 game into the adaptor and into the 5200, the video and audio work.

I've seen a few other similar topics but not these exact symptoms.

Thanks for reading and any advice you may have.

Cheers!

Do you have the 4 controller port version or two? I have the 4 where the power goes into the switch box which I have heard can be unreliable. Perhaps it could be that. I hooked up a ColecoVision to a 2010 Panasonic Plasma and it did take me a minute to figure it out, but I like to just dive into stuff without reading directions and guides though.

Other than plugging in like you were screwing in a cable TV input is all I can think of, but I am certainly not an expert. Sorry I am unable to solve this. Power interruptions when moving. Hopefully just a touchy cable or perhaps something more serious like a loose connection insde where it plugs in.

so I don't need to start a new thread. I also have a 2 port 5200 that powers on but no video. Weird thing is I took it apart and there is some kind of POT or whatever that has a hole in the shielding where it looks like you can mess with it. that piece was bent way over under the shielding.

Also...I see this. This pin is lifted up. is that normal?

WP_20150310_15_03_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20150310_15_04_09_Pro.jpg

Edited by bigbacon

The lift and cable mod near the memory is normal. Try a new rf cable or swap the gtia chip out. I did have an issue like this but since I did the av mod I'm not sure what it was exactly. It had something to do with the RF modulator or its components. There was another one that had a flip flop issue near the power button. It wasn't powering the Cpu rail. And lastly I had another with a similar issue that u had to swap out memory chips to get it to work.

so I can get a whole new board for $35 bucks? geeze, that is amazingly cheap. think I will just go that route and then have it AV modded and then also sell off the 4 port and all the duplicate games I got. I'd rather the 2 port so Idon't need to deal with that funky power thing and I will never play a 4 player game anyway.

Edited by bigbacon