IGNORED

How to build the ROM file (newbie question)

bomdiavermes

Hi!

First of all, I'm sorry for the extremely newbie question.
I'm new to Batari Basic, and have been trying a couple of tutorials on bB. Managed to install everything allright (bB and VbB) and to run a few examples. So now I'm trying to learn, and made a simple screen that displays some text. It compiles and runs on VbB/Stella, but the question is:

How do I build the actual ROM so I can, for exemple, send it to someone that doesn't have bB and VbB installed? I wanted to show it to a couple of friends and was hoping to send them the ROM file so they could run it in Stella, for example.

So far I can only see the .bas and .bin files, but can't find or build a .rom file. Am I missing something?

Once again, sorry for the newbie question. I hope in a few months I can show you some real results.

My name is Daniel Sousa, I'm a graphic designer and digital artist and also know a bit of programming in C/C++/Java, so I'm not exactly new to programming.

Thank you in advance!

Copy and paste the bin file somewhere easy to get to and away from your folders where everything is assembled, then rename it to something (no extension required) and then go there in Stella. :thumbsup:

I use a folder called AtariRoms where I keep my downloaded bins from here. After you make a program it will have a folder from Bb with the default.bin file in it. This should be copied and moved somewhere else (I also copy and paste all my code into notepad while programming and make lots of different copies to check back on). This is just what I do, but it makes it easier than fishing through folders (especially when you have some twenty odd programs you're working on all at once :-D )!!

I see! Thanks for the answer! Now that I tried to open the file and selected Stella to run it, I got it. But when I opened Stella and then searched for the file, the .bin doesn't shows up on the load rom screen.

When you said you searched with Stella, did you mean you put the name in the box at the top? If so, that only searches the default ROM directory that you have set up:

stella.sourceforge.net/docs/#Playing

If you want your game to be in that folder, you'll need to place a copy of your .bin file in that default ROM directory.

Copy and paste the bin file somewhere easy to get to and away from your folders where everything is assembled, then rename it to something (no extension required) and then go there in Stella. :thumbsup:

I use a folder called AtariRoms where I keep my downloaded bins from here. After you make a program it will have a folder from Bb with the default.bin file in it. This should be copied and moved somewhere else (I also copy and paste all my code into notepad while programming and make lots of different copies to check back on). This is just what I do, but it makes it easier than fishing through folders (especially when you have some twenty odd programs you're working on all at once :-D )!!

Thanks Papa (lol)!

I thought I had to export the .bin in some way to get a proper .rom file, but you RT enlighted me. Thought the .bin was a format related to the VbB.

Thanks again, problem solved!

When you said you searched with Stella, did you mean you put the name in the box at the top? If so, that only searches the default ROM directory that you have set up:

stella.sourceforge.net/docs/#Playing

If you want your game to be in that folder, you'll need to place a copy of your .bin file in that default ROM directory.

Nah, I actualy searched for the project folder, but it appeared empty on the Stella screen. Anyway, thanks for your help. My friends already got the file and opened it!