IGNORED

Warren Robinett reflects on his 'signature' game: Adventure

Random Terrain

Adventure probably set adventure gaming back several years when it was published. It's not even Robinett's best game, which is Robot Odyssey. Adventure spawned so many bad "me too" clones like Galahad and the Holy Grail for Atari 8-bit, and the Howard Scott Warsaw disasters E.T. and Raiders of the Lost Ark. All featuring lame Adventure like game worlds. Not to mention the failed Swordquest series. It could be said that Robinett's Adventure is at much a contributor to the video game crash of 83 as E.T. itself. Thank God, Sierra on the Apple II, and others like Dragonstomper, and the awesome Intellivision Advanced Dungeons and Dragons came along and showed developers how to make a real game.

Adventure probably set adventure gaming back several years when it was published. It's not even Robinett's best game, which is Robot Odyssey. Adventure spawned so many bad "me too" clones like Galahad and the Holy Grail for Atari 8-bit, and the Howard Scott Warsaw disasters E.T. and Raiders of the Lost Ark. All featuring lame Adventure like game worlds. Not to mention the failed Swordquest series. It could be said that Robinett's Adventure is at much a contributor to the video game crash of 83 as E.T. itself. Thank God, Sierra on the Apple II, and others like Dragonstomper, and the awesome Intellivision Advanced Dungeons and Dragons came along and showed developers how to make a real game.

How could it have set adventure games back several years?! They were all text adventures prior to that! Adventure was a ground-breaking game. There is absolutely no way you can link '79 Adventure to the '83 video game crash. Quoting Kramer, "that's kooky talk!"

• Like 1

How could it have set adventure games back several years?! They were all text adventures prior to that! Adventure was a ground-breaking game. There is absolutely no way you can link '79 Adventure to the '83 video game crash. Quoting Kramer, "that's kooky talk!"

Was Adventure even released in '79? I know Superman was, but I thought Adventure was released in '80. Also, Adventure didn't even have the 1st Easter egg people fawn over, Video Whizball for the channel F did back in '78. I may be too harsh on Adventure, but it was really not anything to loose your shirt over, Robot Odyssey for the Apple II is Robinett's true masterpiece.

Was Adventure even released in '79? I know Superman was, but I thought Adventure was released in '80. Also, Adventure didn't even have the 1st Easter egg people fawn over, Video Whizball for the channel F did back in '78. I may be too harsh on Adventure, but it was really not anything to loose your shirt over, Robot Odyssey for the Apple II is Robinett's true masterpiece.

Adventure wasn't the first graphic adventure either, that was 'dnd' on Plato, but Adventure was still ground breaking.

And if you want to be clever, the first easter egg was on PDP-10 in the 60s, the 'make love not war' easter egg is well known.

Edited by high voltage

crash 1984:

videogamecrashof1984GarryKitchen_zps7baa

videogamecrashof1984AlanMiller_zpsbc3456

videogamecrashof1984DigitalPress_zpsbb0e

cead2479-10fc-4193-9d42-d30ccacf266f_zps

ET was a very good game for people who read the manual and managed to play it properly:

Sorry, about the company name mix up, fault with DP printers.

ET1_zps5e4fcc56.jpg

ET2_zps7c8d9759.jpg

ET3_zps904bc0fc.jpg

A 12 year old girl manages to play ET properly, how stupid were the boys? Maybe ET wasn't a disaster after all, boys just didn't have the intelligence.

And Raiders of the lost Ark is a great adventure game in its own right.

Galahad and the Holy Grail was an APX game (games made by users for commercial release) for Atari computer, written by Douglas Crockford, who went on the design computer games for Lucasfilm. That's how you got jobs way back in the industry, and Atari helped many along that route.

The game was (is) still good.

Edited by high voltage