IGNORED

PS3 HD Remakes & Collections

Metal Jesus

The Sony PS3 was home to great High Definition Remasters based on classic PS2 franchises. Here are some of my favorites from the game collection along with what is new and special about each.

Games Shown:

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster
God of War Collection (GW1 & 2)
God of War: Origins Collection (Chains of Olympus & Sparta)
Jak & Daxter Collection
The Sly Collection
Silent Hill HD Collection
Zone of The Enders HD Collection
What game or series never got the HD treatment that you wish would get remastered?
  • Like 2

Wishlist

- Onimusha for gods sake..........been waiting for Onimusha HD versions forever and I kind of doubt it will happen.

- Yakuza 1,2

- Shadow Hearts series

- Maximo although maybe make these a little easier. :P

- Persona 3 and 4 would be nice if they redid those but I highly doubt it will happen since they were remade on Vita.

- Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 (from PS1)

- Parasite Eve 1,2 (from PS1)

I enjoyed the Devil May Cry HD collection. They did a pretty good job with that except they didn't upscale or clean up the menu's in the game. They kind of just reverted back to the ugly low res when you were in your inventory and then switched back when playing.

Also I think there are Kingdom Hearts HD versions too but haven't tried them.

• Like 1

Surprised not to see the Ratchet & Clank Collection, since you did the Jak and Sly Cooper releases.

For titles that I'd of liked to see be remastered, I'd of loved to have seen Microsoft commission HD remasterings of both RalliSport Challenge titles from the original Xbox, as well as the first two Project Gotham Racing titles. But sadly, racing games are a genre that's often viewed as disposable and not worth revisiting down the road (Plus, a multitude of licenses must be re-secured). RSC2 and PGR2 are two of my favorite console games from the first half of the 2000s.

And if we're dreaming, may as well toss in what PGR essentially was a sequel to, which was Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast. It was published by Sega, but developed by the same team as the following Microsoft published franchise (Bizarre Creations, now sadly defunct).

Most else of what's on my list is Nintendo owned. They of course did Wind Waker, but have since all but stopped other than a remake of Wii Sports. But I'd love to have seen Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess done at the same time with all three GCN/Wii Zeldas on the same disc. And both Super Mario Galaxies and Super Mario Sunshine are also high on the list, along with of course, Metroid Prime Trilogy.

The GCN's Rogue Squadron titles and the TimeSplitters franchise are two that I've seen mentioned frequently over the years for other people's wishlists. And many were disappointed that Goldeneye 007's XBLA remastering in the style that Perfect Dark received was cancelled on the Xbox 360 (I'd love to see Nintendo do something similar with their popular N64 classics on the Wii U).

Edited by Atariboy

The GCN's Rogue Squadron titles and the TimeSplitters franchise are two that I've seen mentioned frequently over the years for other people's wishlists. And many were disappointed that Goldeneye 007's XBLA remastering in the style that Perfect Dark received was cancelled on the Xbox 360 (I'd love to see Nintendo do something similar with their popular N64 classics on the Wii U).

I would LOVE to get HD versions of the Rogue Squadron games. That first one on the GC was one of the best Star Wars games ever made! Still fun today.

Does Siren Blood Curse 'count' ? (still mean to finish it off one day) as it's claimed to be a "reimagining" of the first installment in the series, with many alterations to structure and content, along with most of the gameplay improvements introduced in Forbidden Siren 2 etc?.

On a similar note i'd love to see an HD Collection of the Project Zero/Fatal Frame games, along with PS2 Shadow Of Rome get an HD make over...
Also i loved Dead Space:Extraction far more than Dead Space 2 and that was an HD remake, Ps3 MOH also had an HD make over of MOH:Frontline, though that had aged horribly....
Oh and i'd love PS1 G-Police 1+2, Colony Wars Trilogy to be remade in HD with full online play as well...

Probably my biggest wish would be the original, my favorite, Silent Hill updated kind of like how Capcom did the first Resident Evil on the the GC. Just in general I would like to see PSOne classics redone even though it would take more time and effort for them to do it.

• Like 2

Was'nt there a claim Capcom had at least considered a Resident Evil 2 Remake for Gamecube, after they'd finished the stunning Res.Evil Remake, but poor sales put paid to that idea?.

It's still something i'd love to see done.

Ditto 1st Silent Hill (even though i did enjoy S.M) but it'd have to be the NTSC version, not the censored Pal version.

Oh and HD Eihander please Square whilst your at it...

• Like 1

I'd like to see a proper remake of Mega Man Legends 1 and 2, with upgraded visuals and perhaps a slightly bigger world to explore, just to give gamers something new to discover in an otherwise familiar game. Granted, these were PS1 games not PS2, but still, I had great fun with these games, so I'd like to see them make a comeback. :)

Was'nt there a claim Capcom had at least considered a Resident Evil 2 Remake for Gamecube, after they'd finished the stunning Res.Evil Remake, but poor sales put paid to that idea?.

It's still something i'd love to see done.

I would too and the same goes for RE3. Nemesis would scare the crap out of me whenever he charged full stride from off screen.

• Like 1

Oh and HD Eihander please Square whilst your at it...

Einhander HD...I could just imagine the visuals on an HD TV. Would be great to see.

I'd like to see a proper remake of Mega Man Legends 1 and 2, with upgraded visuals and perhaps a slightly bigger world to explore, just to give gamers something new to discover in an otherwise familiar game. Granted, these were PS1 games not PS2, but still, I had great fun with these games, so I'd like to see them make a comeback. :)

Yes. I would personally like Mega Man X Collection in HD. Played that disc a lot ages ago. Would be great to dive into those on an HD display.

• Like 1

The Silent Hill HD Collection has two full games on it, the real issue as I see it is the quality of the conversions.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-what-went-wrong-with-silent-hill-hd

If you don't mind downloading a large patch, at least the PS3 iteration can be largely rectified as I understand it. But it was enough where I just stuck with the Xbox version of SH2 and the PS2 original of SH3, where the product on disc represents the finished product.

Sadly, Xbox 360 owners didn't get the same luxury and remain stuck with a very unfinished product. Very lousy move on their part to treat their loyal customers that way. Bad enough that it was an issue to start with, but to only provide a fix to a portion of their customers is just inexcusable.

Happily, for the most part this was an exception to the rule. Most of these things have turned out very well, as evidenced by this thread. The next worst example that leaps to mind after the Silent Hill release is Resident Evil 4 HD, and there's nothing truly wrong with it except that it's not HD, but merely upscaled. But at least the original experience is fully intact with that one.

Edited by Atariboy

The original Spyro the Dragon trilogy.

I'm kind of surprised that this one hasn't been tackled.

Too bad that pre PS2 is usually considered impractical for a HD remastering, even though the same style of port still yields magnificent results as seen by Rare's N64 downloads for the Xbox 360 (Or homebrew emulation... check out these screenshots of Metroid Prime Hunters for the DS for instance; The first shot is of it rendered at its native resolution as seen on the genuine article, and then rendered at a HD resolution by the emulator).

http://i.imgur.com/Src3ef7.png

http://i.imgur.com/QlVDtKs.jpg

I could half understand passing over Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill for their respective collections since a similar upgrade as seen with the PS2 titles would've still ended up with a product with a significant disparity in visual quality going between the two generations (And there would've been a ton of work needed to close that gap).

But a collection of the three classic PS1 Spyro titles, the only part of the franchise that most ever cared about, would have no such consistency issue. And I bet they'd look very good being rendered in HD and otherwise minimally upgraded.

Just look at what that single step does to 3D polygonal games of earlier generations, as seen time after time in emulators like Dolphin for the GCN/Wii. The attractive Spyro games would look great just ported over.

Edited by Atariboy

My original Spyro disc messed up, has a scratch ring (looks like it tipped in the playstation while the game was being played). The game messes up when it gets to that point. Getting a replacement is rather expensive, so I did the digital download of the trilogy on my PS3. It plays, though there's occasionally drops in frame rate that I don't believe was a problem before. The music also stutters when that occurs, which I also don't recall as happening before.

The PS1 Tomb Raider games should be remastered in HD. :)

Not the same thing, but on the off chance you were unaware, the original was remade a while back and is called Tomb Raider Anniversary.

I suspect that's about as close as it's going to come.

Regarding a Metal Gear Solid, it would have like to have had it in the HD release, but as someone pointed out, that might be very hard with a PS One game. Not sure of the GC release could have been used as a starting point.

Having all of the PS One Tomb Raiders remade.... The first one was done but they had that PS2 port to start from. I really didn't care much for the others after the second game.

I would like to see an HD release of the Xenosaga series... which some changes of course for the 2nd game of the series. I always have had a soft spot for Star Ocean. There would be the PSP versions of 1 and 2 to start from and then the third one was released for the PS2. None of this is going to happen though.

It's only hard if they insist on making it be on par with the remastered PS2 editions.

Look at what a fairly cut and dry remastering job has accomplished with several Rare N64 titles, for example. They're no more overhauled than your average PS2 port on this system is, yet the result is still a pleasing one.

Of course, the PS1 candidate needs to have very strong visuals. The Tomb Raider games probably would be too dated to justify the expense, but something like the Spyro games would probably make this leap well. The more simple, colorful, and cartoony the PS1 game, the stronger its chances probably would be compared to something that aimed for realism with its visuals like Gran Turismo.

Never played Metal Gear Solid, I wonder if a basic remastering job like what Perfect Dark and the two Banjo titles saw, would be received well?

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

They normally remaster games with huge followings like The Last of Us and now they are remastering God of War III for PS4:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/03/20/god-of-war-iii-remastered-coming-to-ps4-epic-trailer-released/

The third game that appeared on PS3 is one of my favorite PS3 games

(mainly due to the brutal violence, after all I'm a Conan fan. Profilename: Cimmerians = Conan fan = God of War fan)

I only WISH there was a good Conan game although the old Conan Hall of Volta and THQ offering a few years back weren't that bad.

Someone needs to remaster Hall of Volta!!! :P

conan.gif

Nice article on the art of remakes:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-art-of-the-hd-remaster

For those who think it's a waste of time (which it isn't) and that its easy (it's not easy).

Sticking with concept of HD remakes...GC MGS:Twin Snakes and Eternal Darkness would be superb...

Dreamcast;Power Stone 1+2 (I have the PSP collection, but not keen on playing them on the small screen), Soul Reaver (possibly easier? than porting PS1 game)....

Also a PC Starlancer and Freelancer Console release on modern hardware (and fix the bloody later Ion Cannon bug from DC version, your co-pilot shouting wrong warning about damn thing locking on has prevented me from ever completing the game).

• Like 1