IGNORED

JAGUAR, 3DO, AND THE CDI

AtariORdead

Here's another description of that broadcast from 1993, including some funny bits. "Hot stuff, Herb!"

http://www.amigareport.com/ar129/p1-6.html

Everyone had high hopes, and rightly so. An American product, but as with any Western-made console, no support from Japanese programmers (Japanese programmers never supported a Western made console, 3DO tried, it got lucky with the Panasonic model, but still, support was minimum).

I think some talented Jap gaming companies like Namco or Konami could have shined on Jaguar.

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

@High Voltage:

I'd of been happy (had things worked out a lot different for the Jaguar) to see how a good few European coders could of pushed the Jaguar.

D.I.D perhaps bringing TFX and Inferno to it...

Tony Crowther doing Captive 2 for Jaguar CD instead of CD32...

Imagitec actually finishing or at least showing us a rolling demo,( rather than those Gamesmaster still screens) of Freelancer, actually finishing Space Junk rather than switching formats from Falcon, Mega CD etc to Jaguar CD...

With these 2 it'd been nice to find out if either game actually lived upto the potential, rather than just thinking what might of been.Interviews with ex-Imagitec coders since have failed to throw any light on just how far along either game got on Jaguar.

As for Jap support, mate as a Dreamcast and Mega Drive Owner, Konami and Capcom gave SNES and PS2 far better (IMO) support than they did DC+MD.

Plus i've heard claims, but never come across proof myself yet, that Metal Gear Solid started out on 3DO.

Edited by Lost Dragon

@High Voltage:

As a side note: I actually did attempt to find out more on both Space Junk and Freelancer on Jag CD, further to the 2 letters i had answered years ago (in Ultimate Future Games/Gamesmaster regarding what had become of Freelancer (switched to 'much more capable Playstation' Imagitecs words).

Put questions months back to 2 Ex-Imagitec artists.1 cancelled due to ill health, 2nd i cancelled interview myself as questions had been sat there for months and i'm just burnt out interviewing...

But i did ask if there was any info on either they could send, please forward it, but never heard anything back :-(.

So given up any real chance of getting more info on either myself and looking at what Imagitec did get out, not seeing either as a great loss in many respects these days either.

@High voltage:I had such high hopes for Capcom when i was a Mega CD owner after seeing the brillance of Final fight CD.'Press' was always seeming to be teasing hints that there'd be a MCD version of SF2 headed it's way, SE of Strider etc etc and it seemed the ideal medium for some compilation CD's if nothing else.

I guess poor sales killed that idea stone dead :-(
Off topic, but like i say looking at formats Capcom did support, often in cases like 3DO, MCD etc it was little more than token.
If they had joined ranks of Jaguar supporters, you'd of needed to have seen the User Base reach some serious numbers i think before they did anything special with it.

As for Jap support, mate as a Dreamcast and Mega Drive Owner, Konami and Capcom gave SNES and PS2 far better (IMO) support than they did DC+MD.

Er, Capcoms support for the Dreamcast, throughout, was nothing short of absolutely phenomenal.

They couldn't have supported the DC more if they tried imo. A RRRIDICULOUS amount of quality Capcom output for the DC in it's relatively short lifespan. Literally, ridiculous.

Also, Capcom & Konami output PLENTY of titles for MD too. So, not sure where you're going with that one either I'm afraid.

As for Konami on DC: fair point. For whatever reason, Konami really didn't bother too much with the DC. Silent Scope and Deadly Skies were both decent though.

• Like 2

Here is the mad troll master. He has endless trolling capacity coming in your direction.

Wiki: "In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

No + just - = booooring nay-saying around here = unlogic flaming

Says the guy that's been here for two months.

Opinion = Taken with a grain of salt. If that.

• Like 2

Sorry my bad regarding Capcom on Megadrive, what i was trying to get at was whilst the MD cart output was indeed fantastic (Strider, Mercs, Forgotten Worlds etc) i'd hoped to see this level of support on the Mega CD (Sega CD) and that, despite all the rumours about what was planned, simply never happened.I'd of loved to have seen them take a similar approach others did and do S.E versions of games (thinking MCD Terminator and Batman Returns). Final Fight CD i'd hoped would of been start of Capcom really getting behind the system...

I guess part of me felt a little p*ssed off that the MCD was'nt getting the support i expected from either Capcom or Konami, when it's hardware seemed ideally suited to game they were making...

With Dreamcast..yes, Capcom had a lot of high profile releases, but speaking personally there simply was'nt much on offer to suit my own personal tastes.

Whilst i loved Resident Evil:Code Vernocia, i'd already read in interview with series creator it'd only ended up on Dreamcast as he felt sorry for letting Sega Saturn owners down by not bringing Resident Evil 2 out on it.
Powerstone i loved, but Power Stone 2 just seemed overly chotic and just was'nt as fun.
Think it was the glut of fighters that killed it for me, SFII:Third Strike, SFA3, Marvel Vs Capcom, Vampire Chronicles, Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (Which i did buy and loved), Tech Romancer, Project Justice, i dunno it almost felt like why buy a Capcom beat-em-up now, when another will be along in a few months?
Gun Bird 2, Mars Matrix and Giga Wing were'nt really my thing and whilst i bought Cannon Spike, it's never done anything for me.
  • Like 1

Think where i'm going with the Capcom/Konami on DC angle is this:

Capcom seemed to treat it primarily as the ideal home for it's coin-op conversions (which indeed it was), where as other platforms got the likes of:Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, P.N.0.3, V.Joe, Auto Modellista, Choas Legion, Onimusha etc etc plus DC never recieved any Retro Compilation discs which was a shame.

I've just never been able to shake feeling that at times Capcom seemed to loose faith in Sega, i was jealous of SNES getting Super Ghouls N Ghosts, U.N Squadron, Capt Commando, Magic Sword, Knights Of The Round etc wanted a lot more SE games on MCD, more original games on DC, yet i often seemed to be owning (at the time) the 'wrong' platform.

Never even got to play Punisher on MD myself until i dabbled with emulation as never saw a copy here in UK.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Sooo can we finally agree that JagCD was a troll since he hasn't posted since this thread died?

I have commented on other threads, I have simply ignored this thread due to the high quantity of assholes. But I do appreciate being proven right on that sentiment as well. I do spend more time in the 7800 forum because too many of the Jag fans are nuts. Seriously, I have been on this forum for just shy of a decade.....

Edited by JagCD
  • Like 1

I have commented on other threads, I have simply ignored this thread due to the high quantity of assholes. But I do appreciate being proven right on that sentiment as well. I do spend more time in the 7800 forum because too many of the Jag fans are nuts. Seriously, I have been on this forum for just shy of a decade.....

It's something with combining Jaguar, CDi and 3DO that makes it go the inner circle of hell.

120 posts in 10 years, that doesn't make much of a troll, though, so no worries. You need to post 1000s of times and especially attack the Jaguar, and its fans, here at the Jaguar forum over and over, draining all fun we could have, to be a troll. Guess people just love CDi and 3DO here, at all places, and they know the word "logic".

The depths that people will go to in order to attack the Jaguar at the Jaguar forum are astounding...

• Like 1

With a grand average of 12 posts, contributed to AA, each year...

You do realize some people come here to buy/collect stuff -- not to talk shit. It's probably why I fit in better with the 7800 crowd than the Jag people. The incredible negativity of the Jag forums doesn't seem to cloud the vintage scene. The odd part is IMO the Jaguar community has always had this fanaticism -- I remember seeing it way, way back even during the usenet days of alt.atari-jaguar.discussion. BTW, most trolls haven't been Atari owners since 1982.

Edited by JagCD
  • Like 1